5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touchless car wash?

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Everyone has different expectations for sure. I'd rather go touchless in a situation where I couldn't do it myself. Just can't pay to have my paint scratched in a full contact car wash. Don't need a close inspection to see all the paint scratches. I chose a silver truck because that color seems to hide everything but pollen pretty well. I live in the south so I don't have to worry about road salts etc. Different scenario.

Only on this forum would a 3 year old thread come back to life!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everyone has different expectations for sure. I'd rather go touchless in a situation where I couldn't do it myself. Just can't pay to have my paint scratched in a full contact car wash. Don't need a close inspection to see all the paint scratches. I chose a silver truck because that color seems to hide everything but pollen pretty well. I live in the south so I don't have to worry about road salts etc. Different scenario.

Only on this forum would a 3 year old thread come back to life!

A 3 year old thread is nothing. I see guys resurrecting 8-10 year old threads on other forums. 😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use to run my vehicles through a touchless car wash in the snowy winters to get the road crap and de-icer off the paint. One day I was reading on the Lexus forums that the chemicals used in these bags could be harmful to the clearcoat. I have pretty much always had black vehicles, so I am asking you guys if this is true. I figure you would know better than some random Lexus owner.

When I googled it, I found the main concern was the pressure of the sprayers in these potentially causing issues.

As I mentioned in other threads, I have a black 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I am really trying to protect the paint as much as possible. My 1990 Jeep is my crawler/toy, just in case some ask why I’m so concerned with a Jeep.

I also wonder if the chemicals used in these bays would remove or damage any ceramic spray coating I apply. Thank You for any input.
For the ceramic coating, you will need to consult the shop that installed the ceramic coating. Some are better than others and won't be an issue.

As far as damaging the paint, the chemicals won't hurt the paint, but they could potentially strip away any protective polish or wax you have applied. And the spray on stuff they use in the car washes isn't as good.

Also, touch less car washes never get your vehicle clean. They get the dust off, but I'd there is any road grime from driving in rain or snow, they don't work. You need to clean with a cloth. And then since they don't remove the road grime, the extra clear coat sealant and waxes they spray in just lock that in and make it hard to remove in future.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For the ceramic coating, you will need to consult the shop that installed the ceramic coating. Some are better than others and won't be an issue.

As far as damaging the paint, the chemicals won't hurt the paint, but they could potentially strip away any protective polish or wax you have applied. And the spray on stuff they use in the car washes isn't as good.

Also, touch less car washes never get your vehicle clean. They get the dust off, but I'd there is any road grime from driving in rain or snow, they don't work. You need to clean with a cloth. And then since they don't remove the road grime, the extra clear coat sealant and waxes they spray in just lock that in and make it hard to remove in future.
This is definitely true. I didn't realize how much was left behind when I drove a white truck. But with black, everything that doesn't get removed shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread