5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touchless car wash?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
That's because he doesn't want you touching your truck, when you could be paying him to, lol.

In actuality, it's probably more of what I mentioned above. Waxes and coatings have very different hydrophobic qualities, and you're counteracting the highly hydrophobic coating with a wax that will actually help to hold water onto the surface of your vehicle. Notice how water beads up on wax, but runs off completely on the coating? That's the big difference a lot of people don't understand about coatings, and some are even deterred from coatings and think it "doesn't work" because they don't see the beading they are so used to associating with a good proper paint protection layer like wax. There's a big issue in detailing right now with products (and companies) that don't perform to peoples expectations, despite the fact that they are doing exactly what they are designed to do. To the point where some companies are putting out "ceramic" products that encourage beading, which is counter intuitive, just to make the customer happy and get the sales. It's an issue of educating the customer, vs just giving them what they want even though it's not the best for them or the vehicle.

And, as a detailer myself, the real concern is a customer using a product incorrectly and causing damage to work done previously that would need to be repaired or redone completely. If you apply some wax and put swirls in your coating, or even worse, your paint, he's gonna have a lot more work to do and you're gonna be unhappy with the coating protection, even though you caused the damage.
I am so happy RAM has textured B Pillars (that black section between the doors/windows). On my Alfa I go back and get a new ceramic coating on them once a year. Even with FIVE separate sheep mitts, I get swirls. That is why I get white vehicles. You can hid the swirls even in the sun!

Note: I shouldn’t really call him a detailer, as he doesn’t professionally wash vehicles. He tints, corrects, coats and films. I figure it is less of a cost on me if I listen to him. That way I can hold him more accountable.

I always wash my own vehicles, however, I am considering touchless this winter. This truck is so much vehicle to wash and I have hard water at my house. I cannot finish quick enough to avoid water spots.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am so happy RAM has textured B Pillars (that black section between the doors/windows). On my Alfa I go back and get a new ceramic coating on them once a year. Even with FIVE separate sheep mitts, I get swirls. That is why I get white vehicles. You can hid the swirls even in the sun!

Note: I shouldn’t really call him a detailer, as he doesn’t professionally wash vehicles. He tints, corrects, coats and films. I figure it is less of a cost on me if I listen to him. That way I can hold him more accountable.

I always wash my own vehicles, however, I am considering touchless this winter. This truck is so much vehicle to wash and I have hard water at my house. I cannot finish quick enough to avoid water spots.

I'd say he's still a detailer if he does all that, lol. He just may not do maintenance washes, or maybe you just don't ask him to, either way, minor discrepancies, lol

I wouldn't worry about using a true touchless in the winter especially. It's better to clean the salt and dirt off the truck and worry about the scratches in the summer time on a truck that is rust free, vs the other way around where you have a perfectly polished rust bucket, lol.

To help with the water spots, I use a quick detailer spray (not spray wax) along with multiple microfiber towels to dry the truck after the wash. The quick detailer helps add lubrication to the towel so you don't add swirls, pick's up the hard water minerals while its at it, and obviously the towel absorbs the water droplets that are left. I have a black truck, just looking at it wrong seems like it will add a visible swirl, lol. But it's all about perception, the color doesn't matter, the same swirls are in any color, you just see them easier with darker shades. Remember, even when drying, lubrication is key to not causing damage. The more lubrication the better. I feel like that applies to other areas in life as well :ROFLMAO:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am so happy RAM has textured B Pillars (that black section between the doors/windows).
Wait...what? They’re smooth, gloss piano black on my Longhorn (just like my wife’s Audi). I was glad to get those ceramic coated!

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I use XPEL ceramic boost at the end of washes and XPEL detail spray in between washes like for bug splatter. What products do you like?

I also have a chemical guys high gloss spray sealant I use when I am in a bind (leftover from before I went all out on my paint protection).

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use XPEL ceramic boost at the end of washes and XPEL detail spray in between washes like for bug splatter. What products do you like?

I also have a chemical guys high gloss spray sealant I use when I am in a bind (leftover from before I went all out on my paint protection).

Seems like you're using all sorts of products outside their intended range of operation. I wouldn't use a spray sealant to remove bugs or dirt of any kind. Sealants are meant to be applied to an already clean surface. For bugs, use ONR diluted per instructions as a MPC (Multi-Purpose Cleaner), or find a MPC that you like. After cleaning, then reapply spray sealant or other last step products as instructed.

For towels, I use some Rag Company colored microfibers, and one of their waffle weaves. I always use lubrication on the surface when wiping with the towel though, regardless of how wet the paint is.

I haven't picked up a generic coating booster yet, as I have a tiny bottle still left over from when I got my truck coated. Its GTechiq and just came with the coating supplies.

Branding really doesn't mean much to me, each brand has good and not-so-good products. The important part is using them for what they are intended for, and understanding what you're trying to accomplish with each product and application throughout the detail process.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Seems like you're using all sorts of products outside their intended range of operation. I wouldn't use a spray sealant to remove bugs or dirt of any kind. Sealants are meant to be applied to an already clean surface. For bugs, use ONR diluted per instructions as a MPC (Multi-Purpose Cleaner), or find a MPC that you like. After cleaning, then reapply spray sealant or other last step products as instructed.

For towels, I use some Rag Company colored microfibers, and one of their waffle weaves. I always use lubrication on the surface when wiping with the towel though, regardless of how wet the paint is.

I haven't picked up a generic coating booster yet, as I have a tiny bottle still left over from when I got my truck coated. Its GTechiq and just came with the coating supplies.

Branding really doesn't mean much to me, each brand has good and not-so-good products. The important part is using them for what they are intended for, and understanding what you're trying to accomplish with each product and application throughout the detail process.
When you say to lubricate, do you mean to spray the towel with the product as well as the paint? That’s what I do.

That’s the sealant. It appeared like I was using it for its intended purpose when I read its description.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you say to lubricate, do you mean to spray the towel with the product as well as the paint? That’s what I do.

That’s the sealant. It appeared like I was using it for its intended purpose when I read its description.

Yes, Towel and Paint get sprayed as I go. And I switch towels often.

And it looks like you were using a quick detailer with sealant. I try to avoid products that combine two different steps into one, as that seems counter intuitive to me. How can it clean and apply sealant at the same time? You need to do one before the other. Same reason I don't use the Clean Polish Wax products that claim to decontaminate, polish, AND apply wax all at once. Those are three very different steps, as they should be.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Yes, Towel and Paint get sprayed as I go. And I switch towels often.

And it looks like you were using a quick detailer with sealant. I try to avoid products that combine two different steps into one, as that seems counter intuitive to me. How can it clean and apply sealant at the same time? You need to do one before the other. Same reason I don't use the Clean Polish Wax products that claim to decontaminate, polish, AND apply wax all at once. Those are three very different steps, as they should be.
Already looking into ONR, thanks for that. Are you a 3-bucket method type of guy or is ONR your cleaning solution? I figured that was just for in between washes.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
With Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF on the front bumper, rocker panels, A pillars and edge of roofline, and Feynlab Heal Lite ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces, I'm not really sweating the car washes with the rotating brushes. Some hot water, or this blazing Texas heat and any swirl marks just disappear.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Already looking into ONR, thanks for that. Are you a 3-bucket method type of guy or is ONR your cleaning solution? I figured that was just for in between washes.

I three bucket and use a foam cannon too. It takes more time but I like using the mitt less, even though I use two buckets for washing and separate bucket / mitts/ wheel woolies for the wheels.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
With Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF on the front bumper, rocker panels, A pillars and edge of roofline, and Feynlab Heal Lite ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces, I'm not really sweating the car washes with the rotating brushes. Some hot water, or this blazing Texas heat and any swirl marks just disappear.
View attachment 29708
My guy didn’t apply film to the edge of the roofline. Thought it would be part of the front package, but I was wrong. Did get rear fender flare film applied though! Had to make/shape those pieces custom. Too afraid of rust not to have done something about it and I think the OEM fender flares may collect rust.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
Forgot to mention they also put the PPF on the headlights and fog lights.

Just trying to figure out if I should get some kind of maintenance "topper" product to apply on top of the paint and PPF after washing and drying...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man am I out of touch 180 degrees from this thread.
First I made sure to get a white (Ivory) paint.
Next my version of “touchless” is uhh, periodic rains.
Lastly, I look at it after dark, seems clean enough. I don’t see so good anymore so I think it’s ok. :whistle:

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Forgot to mention they also put the PPF on the headlights and fog lights.

Just trying to figure out if I should get some kind of maintenance "topper" product to apply on top of the paint and PPF after washing and drying...
XPEL ceramic boost is made for that intended purpose. The guy who installed mine gave me a couple of bottles.

So you got paint correction, ceramic coating, and PPF? Mind if I ask what your total was. I paid $5,300 all said and done.

I had to do the grille as well because I have a painted one. Mine is missing film above the windshield but I have both front and rear fender flare areas done.

cra1g

Reaction score
Man am I out of touch 180 degrees from this thread.
First I made sure to get a white (Ivory) paint.
Next my version of “touchless” is uhh, periodic rains.
Lastly, I look at it after dark, seems clean enough. I don’t see so good anymore so I think it’s ok. :whistle:

I'm with you. I did the two-bucket hand-wash-only on my Grand Cherokee for years, and it still looks good, but honestly I don't think it was worth the effort. With the truck, well, it's a truck. It's not jewelry. Clean, dry, and serviceable is good enough for me, and I've been taking it to the non-touchless wash joint up the street.

I understand the folks wanting to keep their trucks looking perfect, but that's just not for me this time.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm with you. I did the two-bucket hand-wash-only on my Grand Cherokee for years, and it still looks good, but honestly I don't think it was worth the effort. With the truck, well, it's a truck. It's not jewelry. Clean, dry, and serviceable is good enough for me, and I've been taking it to the non-touchless wash joint up the street.

I understand the folks wanting to keep their trucks looking perfect, but that's just not for me this time.
I totally get the special treatment, especially with black, however working fulltime, having yardcare and a live-in 2 yr old grandson preclude my lavishing attention on the truck. (He’s offered to wash anyone’s truck by the way, works for Cheerios...)
So when she said she liked the Ivory, I was good with that. From 50 yards on a night with no moon it still looks good.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score

What is ONR? I just learned there is the 2-bucket method. What in the world is 3-bucket?

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
What is ONR? I just learned there is the 2-bucket method. What in the world is 3-bucket?

I spent a few hours reading that and making a shortened protocol. Even bought all of his towels listed in the article. Use it on my Alfa and the Truck.

In between washes you need a product of some sort to clean away bug splatter, etc. I use a quick detailer or a quick detailer with sealant. Riccnick suggested I use a multipurpose cleaner like ONR. Probably makes more sense but I do it literally every time I park my car, so a pre-made formula in a spray bottle is more my speed.

For washing the vehicle, we both use a foam cannon/power washer and sheep mitts. And three buckets. One for soap and two for dipping to expel as much dirt as possible before reapplying soap to the paint. 2 buckets is not really enough.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

I spent a few hours reading that and making a shortened protocol. Even bought all of his towels listed in the article. Use it on my Alfa and the Truck.

In between washes you need a product of some sort to clean away bug splatter, etc.

My grandson said he'd get the bugs off, then I saw he had the BBQ brush... would have worked though!

Users who are viewing this thread