5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They said, because of the issues it would require a total replacement of the engine, I asked them would the powertrain cover it, and he said yes it should, I asked for a loaner, and he said he would have more information tomorrow (today), and will call me at some point with next steps.....
You should be all set then.
Just try to tough out the loaner and follow up Friday morning if they don't call you back.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Tryin
You should be all set then.
Just try to tough out the loaner and follow up Friday morning if they don't call you back.
Trying, its hard to be down a vehicle with 2 kids (in a town with no school buses), 2 dogs, and a hubby that is active duty with an unpredictable work schedule, it is just inconvenient :) As long as it gets fixed that is the main thing, we owe way to much money on the vehicle for it to become a decorative piece on our driveway!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tryin

Trying, its hard to be down a vehicle with 2 kids (in a town with no school buses), 2 dogs, and a hubby that is active duty with an unpredictable work schedule, it is just inconvenient :) As long as it gets fixed that is the main thing, we owe way to much money on the vehicle for it to become a decorative piece on our driveway!

It wont, you'll have a new engine in it shortly and look back on this as just a speed bump. If you were out of warranty, yeah, I'd be concerned but you're not and provided the shop has decent techs, its not a problem. Engine swaps are fairly easy in trucks

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no getting ""it approved" for engine replacement for powertrain warranty. They have to look at the vehicle/engine, document a few things and verify warranty coverage. The replacement parts can be ordered in a timely manner, like yesterday. You might be waiting on some critical parts that need to be replaced, like the intake manifold. Last checked they were on backorder until May 3rd.

If this was a diesel engine then they have to get "approval" from powertrain service center. Ram/Stellantis keeps messing with what under warranty needs "prior approval" depending on dealer warranty status.

Quint

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I have a 2020 1500 Laramie Night Edition, I LOVE IT, like more than anyone should love their car, maybe even more than my husband....ANYWHO
There's a reason all of us are out on truck forums, versus being out on a "love your spouse" forum ;)

My wife has owned a BMW and now and Audi. Great cars until something goes wrong, and something always goes wrong eventually in every car. She throws out how much we paid and I just agree - mostly because I never wanted to own one of those in the first place. Vehicles **** the bed. It's just a part of life.

Glad to hear that they are taking care of you so far. Hearing your story reminded me of Apollo 12, when they were hurtling towards outer space and all of the lights and alarms starting going haywire. Luckily all they had to do was reboot the computer. You're getting a brand new engine. Worse things can happen!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tryin

Oh I thought you were able to get a loaner.
If they didn't give you a loaner call FCA custoerm care at 800-334-9200 and explain the situation.
They should be able to look at your truck via the vin and verify the shop has it and approve you to get your own rental and be reimbursed regardless of the dealership loaner status.

mainjet

Reaction score
It's always a bummer when something like this happens and it takes some time from your life and schedule. But if it were me, as soon as they said new engine and it's covered, I would be super happy to have gotten 50,000 free miles. Now you still have the truck you love with zero miles on the engine again - Winner winner chicken dinner...

Welshlass86

Reaction score
There's a reason all of us are out on truck forums, versus being out on a "love your spouse" forum ;)

My wife has owned a BMW and now and Audi. Great cars until something goes wrong, and something always goes wrong eventually in every car. She throws out how much we paid and I just agree - mostly because I never wanted to own one of those in the first place. Vehicles **** the bed. It's just a part of life.

Glad to hear that they are taking care of you so far. Hearing your story reminded me of Apollo 12, when they were hurtling towards outer space and all of the lights and alarms starting going haywire. Luckily all they had to do was reboot the computer. You're getting a brand new engine. Worse things can happen!
So true, definitely no love my spouse forums for me, that would be weird. Funnily my husbands dream car a is BMW M3 or M4 competition (one of his dream cars/I can’t remember which one). We nearly ordered him one when we were stationed In germany but they were taking a while for delivery and we were close to leaving.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's always a bummer when something like this happens and it takes some time from your life and schedule. But if it were me, as soon as they said new engine and it's covered, I would be super happy to have gotten 50,000 free miles. Now you still have the truck you love with zero miles on the engine again - Winner winner chicken dinner...
That’s what I was thinking

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So true, definitely no love my spouse forums for me, that would be weird. Funnily my husbands dream car a is BMW M3 or M4 competition (one of his dream cars/I can’t remember which one). We nearly ordered him one when we were stationed In germany but they were taking a while for delivery and we were close to leaving.
Tell him we said thank you for your service!

Welshlass86

Reaction score
Oh I thought you were able to get a loaner.
If they didn't give you a loaner call FCA custoerm care at 800-334-9200 and explain the situation.
They should be able to look at your truck via the vin and verify the shop has it and approve you to get your own rental and be reimbursed regardless of the dealership loaner status.
Not yet. It’s only been 2 days….

They just called and updated, he took another look at the truck this morning his words were “multiple misfires”, they’re draining the oil from the engine and have found metal in the oil that indicates an engine issue/failure. Said he’s ran the VIN and it’s covered under powertrain warranty. I asked if they could tell me EXACTLY what caused this, but he said they weren’t sure and that a total tear down wasn’t necessary as no further investigation is needed as powertrain and engine has already been determined…. Said he will have more answers tomorrow to what’s next, they haven’t ordered parts yet they are checking availability, then will give me a timeline and figure out getting me some transportation, but for now, I keep waiting.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking
They told me on the phone, the new engine will come with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I asked why it didn’t come with the entire 5 year, 60k that came with the original one, he said he will have to check on it.

Derek916

Reaction score
I wonder if your truck was affected by this warranty issue that was just announced that causes the engine to stall due to improper fuel mixture.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got to drive a local friends M3 competition that has downpipe and tune done. Even without putting it in M mode that thing was insane. Only issue is he has the factory racing seats, and I was a very tight fit in them. Definitely wasn't going to be moving around.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
I wonder if your truck was affected by this warranty issue that was just announced that causes the engine to stall due to improper fuel mixture.

That is scary. My truck was produced earlier than June 2020. It was purchased May 2020. I guess it could be one that slipped through their recall but I would think this one was manufactured in early 2020. I’m not 100% sure.

Welshlass86

Reaction score
I got to drive a local friends M3 competition that has downpipe and tune done. Even without putting it in M mode that thing was insane. Only issue is he has the factory racing seats, and I was a very tight fit in them. Definitely wasn't going to be moving around.
Ha ha, an extra safety restraint for those Gs then! 😂

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Friend of mine has an M4 with a down pipe, upgraded turbos and a juice box tune. Low boost is 600whp, high boost is 700ish. Cool cars, rich people S

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine has an M4 with a down pipe, upgraded turbos and a juice box tune. Low boost is 600whp, high boost is 700ish. Cool cars, rich people S
My friend has turbos on order. He does his own tuning, and that's what he does for money. Builds and tunes high HP cars. He also owns a twin turbo Hellcat Charger, a BMW X5(same drivetrain as his M3 Competition), And a Track Hawk. I think he sold his Tesla Plaid when he got the M3, and had an Audi RS3 he had built for 900+ HP bmhe got tired of fixing, so sold it, with broken engine, to get the M3

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They told me on the phone, the new engine will come with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I asked why it didn’t come with the entire 5 year, 60k that came with the original one, he said he will have to check on it.
The warranty doesn't start over just because a part was replaced. Ask for that 2 year warranty in writing. Make sure it states the engine that was replaced under warranty repair has a 2 year warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread