5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too good to be true?

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Found used 2019 Rebel at CarMax of all places. My father is a mechanic and we both searched it inside and out for over an hour and nothing appeared damaged from accident, flood, etc. 2 test drives (on different days) didn't show any issues.

History:
1 owner purchased in Nov. 18 from Valenti Jeep Dodge Chrysler Mystic, CT

Maintenance Inspection completed at same dealer at 2,591 miles on 3/8 at same dealer

Carmax for sale at 2,773 on 3/30

Build info:
2019 Ram Rebel Crew Cab with
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Level 2 Equipment Group
Trailer-Tow Group
Bed liner
Remote Start
Granite Crystal Met. Clear-Coat Exterior Pain
2,773 miles
MSRP new from Ram Build site $53,330
CarMax price: $44,998

Took offer to a Ram dealer to see what they could do on a new one and the guy was shocked it was so low (below his invoice). He said if we think the truck is good to take that deal. But warned us that it could have been in an accident that hasn't been reported or returned to dealer as a lemon and resold...or could just be some guy that didn't like it or couldn't afford it. Called Valenti dealer, but they just told me the service records they had on file, which were exactly the carfax ones.

CarFax, AutoCheck, and VehicleHistory were all clean.

Am I overthinking this or should I stay away from CarMax stuff? I can't find this exact build near me, and the others available have more options and are more expensive. I could build, but dealer told me 3 months

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the great deal is that you're saying. The price you're getting is $9,000 less than MSRP which is always super inflated. I just purchased a limited brand new custom build. MSRP was 68,000 dealer gave me $59,000 - almost $4,000 in rebates. So out the door it cost me $56 1,000 which was $12,000 less than MSRP. Invoice was $62,000 which is really what you want to judge by not the MSRP. But saying that, since I purchased a brand new Limited for 12,000 below MSRP I'm not too sure $9,000 below MSRP on a used rebel with miles on it is that great of a deal. But then I may be missing something

kittyjo

Reaction score
Found used 2019 Rebel at CarMax of all places. My father is a mechanic and we both searched it inside and out for over an hour and nothing appeared damaged from accident, flood, etc. 2 test drives (on different days) didn't show any issues.

History:

Maintenance Inspection completed at same dealer at 2,591 miles on 3/8 at same dealer

Build info:
Level 2 Equipment Group
Trailer-Tow Group
Bed liner
Remote Start
2,773 miles

Took offer to a Ram dealer to see what they could do on a new one and the guy was shocked it was so low (below his invoice). He said if we think the truck is good to take that deal. But warned us that it could have been in an accident that hasn't been reported or returned to dealer as a lemon and resold...or could just be some guy that didn't like it or couldn't afford it. Called Valenti dealer, but they just told me the service records they had on file, which were exactly the carfax ones.

Am I overthinking this or should I stay away from CarMax stuff? I can't find this exact build near me, and the others available have more options and are more expensive. I could build, but dealer told me 3 months
I would take it since everything is still under warranty but cautiously watch the truck.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Cmerkert. Maybe demand is different here. Dealer wouldn't even make a counter offer. He did offer me $52500 on a Rebel with MSRP of $60,500. Rebates here were $1500. Maybe there's more wiggle room as the options on the truck increase their available profit.

For the build above, there are prices that come close to $44,900, but they include all available incentives (most i don't qualify for) + dealer savings. Basically, starting point for negotiations have been $52K - $1500 in incentives. Then try to talk them down a few thousand from there. Still doesn't get close to $44,900

Truckin

Reaction score

History:

Build info:
Level 2 Equipment Group
Trailer-Tow Group
Bed liner
Remote Start
2,773 miles

I also do not see such a 'great' deal here...I would check with dealers who have inventory, check all incentives and likely you will find as good as deal-especially when you factor in additional discounts by financing with Chrysler Credit...And you will KNOW it has not been abused.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Hmm. What should I be targeting for an out the door price for that options package then?

The incentives aren't available to me and the financing is higher than what I get from my local bank.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Seems ok deal to me I think you could do better if you bought new. It could be a problematic truck but so could a new one. Nothing is for certain. Tons of people having problems with transmission and air suspension.

brewdad

Reaction score
You are aware that with the trailer tow group you lose the power folding mirror option?

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are aware that with the trailer tow group you lose the power folding mirror option?

I was thinking that about the trailer tow group, also. I know very little about CarMax. Can you negotiate with them? Can you use your own bank for financing?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

History:

Build info:
Level 2 Equipment Group
Trailer-Tow Group
Bed liner
Remote Start
2,773 miles

Yeah, you should be able to get that truck for $41K or possibly even less so it isn't the best deal out there, but demand and dealer stock play a factor.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think its a bad deal. I think you may have been able to beat that deal for a new one six months ago; but the RAMS are becoming more popular and I don't think the deals are as great now. I don't believe that CARMAX charges a dealer fee (which most dealers do); so you should factor that in as well....dealer fees can cost anywhere from $99 to $1000 (most are around $699 to $799). If its the truck that you want; that could be worth more to you as well; rather than settling for something else because of price.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
I don't think its a bad deal. I think you may have been able to beat that deal for a new one six months ago; but the RAMS are becoming more popular and I don't think the deals are as great now. I don't believe that CARMAX charges a dealer fee (which most dealers do); so you should factor that in as well....dealer fees can cost anywhere from $99 to $1000 (most are around $699 to $799). If its the truck that you want; that could be worth more to you as well; rather than settling for something else because of price.

no dealer fees...just the price of vehicle + tax, title, reg. I think I'm walking away though. Just got this feeling with CarMax. Dealers don't seem willing to budge at all on prices. I told one guys I'd buy today, just come in between their internet price and carmax price for same build and they said no thanks and didn't negotiate.

kjn86

Reaction score
Mine was just over $50k and it has eTorque, side steps, plus pano sunroof and blind spot that yours doesn't. MSRP was $59k. I would say $40k is a good price for that build.

If you get one, do NOT get the tow mirrors. There are many threads here about this issue. Only thing I am unhappy with about my truck. Love it otherwise completely.

For a good deal on a used, I'd maybe overlook it, but drive one with both mirrors and compare. If I were at a dealer, definitely would avoid the tow mirrors.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Search the forum for a thread that provides dealers in several states that are willing to sell inventory or build what you want for a decent price under invoice (not msrp) PLUS rebates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always tell people that the 2nd buyer is the one that takes the depreciation, not the original buyer and this deal is exemplifying exactly that. Obtaining 11k off sticker literally took a 5 minutes phone call for me on my truck. If the dealer were to put my truck on the lot today, they would sticker it for more than I paid.

I once traded in a 3 year old F150 with 38k miles on it and the dealer priced it at just 4K less than what I paid originally and sold it for that number (found out later at a service visit).

Buy new and hold out for your number. Even if it comes within a K or two, it’s worth that number to know that you are getting a virgin vehicle and not one that is questionably for sale, again.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
I walked away. Still lower than anything a dealer offered, but it had the unknown history and turns out it was etorque engine, which I didn't want.

Thanks for the advice everyone. For some reason, dealers in Mass are sitting on inventory 60-120 days old and not budging on price

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Take that price from CarMax and go to a competitive dealer and say, can you beat this on a new truck? If they say yes, you got a deal.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually seems like a bad deal to me, you can buy a new rebel with 53k sticker for about that. Maybe not every day, you do need to time the rebates, but it’s easily do able.

Mine was a little over 58 sticker and I Paid 47,990 or something like that.

The dealer discount should be at least 10%, that’s get you under 48k right there. Then let’s say an average of 2500 rebates. So 45.5k. Or they go up to 3500, now we are at 44.5k. And you can get closer to ~13% on the dealer discount at the better dealerships.

My whole point is you can get very close, to me saving a 1-2k dollars isn’t a good deal in this type of scenario.

Also carmax is almost always over priced by 2-3k. Which seems to be true again here.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CarMax says they have great prices and top trade.

The truth: I took my pristine Grand Cherokee freshly detailed to them and they crawled all over it for 30 minutes then offered me 3k less then my Ram dealer. No, my Ram dealer didn't make up for the high trade by not discounting my ordered Limited. MSRP was 69k and I paid 58k. Not bad with the good trade on the Jeep.

As far as CarMax pricing, it's high and non-negotiable. Virtually all their inventory stinks like pimp oil since they are mostly retired rental cars. I suspect they've been smoked in. Many had early signs of rust and are likely salt-state cars with cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread