5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

zbaddwg

Reaction score
I reached to bakflip for the install instructions. it looks like the solved the problem and I ordered this morning
Note the install instructions are wrong for step 15. DO NOT TORQUE TO 10LBS here are a couple of pictures.

Otherwise, the install was straight forward and under 45 minutes. mx4-1.jpg mx4-5.jpg mx4-6.jpg mx4-2.jpg

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@zbaddwg
Agree very easy installation. 40-45 minutes sounds about right

Attachments

• 6FD03112-6053-4D0B-AAD5-C2AC31188774.jpeg
    6FD03112-6053-4D0B-AAD5-C2AC31188774.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 102
  • A2C31E19-7794-4A2E-A606-70121D1619FD.jpeg
    A2C31E19-7794-4A2E-A606-70121D1619FD.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 5077AB9B-C1AA-48D4-8796-05C901519D15.jpeg
    5077AB9B-C1AA-48D4-8796-05C901519D15.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 102

MrBenji

Reaction score
Is the F1 better than the mx4 in all regards? Or just more durable but the mx4 is superior in other ways? Cost doesn’t seem too different between the two.
I’m also interested in this answer, looking to buy one in the next couple days

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only difference I see is the F1 does better in regards to dents from hail and doesn’t get as hot in the summer. Here in Texas my mx4 got exceptionally hot during the summer but my F1 was cooler to the touch.
It really boils down to what you want.
F1 is more gloss black whereas the MX4 is closer to matte black and smooth.

Last edited:

Switch22

Reaction score
I’m also interested in this answer, looking to buy one in the next couple days
I bought my F1 cover a few weeks ago, and installed it this past weekend. The new design they have for the MFT (P/N 772226) which works with the OEM corner brackets, fit perfectly and was a breeze to install. Elevator bolts for the front panel run through an opening in the OEM bracket, and then down through additional "clamping bracket" that mounts to the bottom side of the OEM brackets. Nice design. Snap to install.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.PNG
    IMG_5505.PNG
    616.3 KB · Views: 86

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Good evening,

We recently launched a new website and I want to make sure everyone has a link to our replacement bracket for the MFT. Here's that link:

If you have any questions, please reach out to us on our website or at [email protected]. We don't actively monitor this forum.

-Pete

rightonbracket

Reaction score
Sharing some product news, we found that the 2023 RAM w/ the MFT has the same hole alignment as the last 2 years. Simply remove the OEM bracket and install our replacement w/ the same OEM hardware.

We recently did a strength test and found our bracket is stronger than the OEM bracket. The reason is the OEM bracket is "cast" and we use hot rolled steel. Our steel is better designed for stress, which is why they included the reinforcement bar. Both brackets are plenty strong for the stress they're intended for, but since we get strength based questions we wanted to share this test!

In regards to types of tonneau covers are compatible with our brackets, this is where we rely on everyone here. Most covers have worked, some covers need to make slight modifications, and some covers are not compatible. If you are curious what cover is compatible, there are 46 pages of feedback and resources here to go off of here! We appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and installation process!

We are always looking for feedback. If you have any recommendations on how our MFT bracket can be improved, please reach out to us via Email!

-Pete and the R.O.B team.

$Bill

Reaction score
Mods - I’m new here. I have a 2023 Rebel on order.

This may seem like a crazy question but I’ve read through 9 of the 45 or so pages of this thread. Bak has confirmed to me via email they have a cover that will work:

———————

Your request has been updated. To add additional comments, such as photos or part numbers, please reply to this email.

Bakflip has made a cover that will work with the muli function tailgate with out the ram box. Please reach out to me via my extension below and we can get that ordered for you with the appropriate part number.

Alexander C
Extension: 1574
Sales Representative

——————————-

Would there be a way to get confirmed listings posted from members that covers work with the MFG with or without the “new“ replacement bracket?

I could start a poll - if the site allows them (sorry - another newbie question). And I don’t know if I’d get all the covers “covered”. Ha ha !

Thanks very much!!!

Bill

Lurts

Reaction score

This may seem like a crazy question but I’ve read through 9 of the 45 or so pages of this thread. Bak has confirmed to me via email they have a cover that will work:

———————

Your request has been updated. To add additional comments, such as photos or part numbers, please reply to this email.

Bakflip has made a cover that will work with the muli function tailgate with out the ram box. Please reach out to me via my extension below and we can get that ordered for you with the appropriate part number.

Alexander C
Sales Representative

——————————-

Would there be a way to get confirmed listings posted from members that covers work with the MFG with or without the “new“ replacement bracket?

I could start a poll - if the site allows them (sorry - another newbie question). And I don’t know if I’d get all the covers “covered”. Ha ha !

Thanks very much!!!

Bill
Having kept an eye on this thread for a year and a half or so, I believe Bak just recently released covers that work with the MFT: the MX4 and F1 are the only covers from any manufacturer that I am aware of that are now compatible without having to get the RightOn Brackets

oh58driver

Reaction score
I have a Extang Solid fold 2.0 that works with the multifunction tailgate and no change to the brackets.

Lurts

Reaction score
I suppose I should add clarification: the BakFlips are the only flush mount tonneau covers I am aware of that don’t require modification.

Switch22

Reaction score

———————

Alexander C
Sales Representative

——————————-

Thanks very much!!!

Bill
They indeed to have a cover that works with MFT and the factory brackets. I posted a pick of my F1 cover a bit earlier in this thread. No need for aftermarket brackets if you like the BakFlip product.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.PNG
    IMG_5505.PNG
    616.3 KB · Views: 43

gumbo2000

Reaction score
For those of you that installed the silver rails, how many bolts are needed per side? I looked at the images online but it's not clear.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. I won’t have any rails and I’m trying to get my hardware ahead of time.
There are 5 screws, and 2 push clips.

I THINK the push clips camewith the rails.
I don't know what size the screws are but this is a picture of one of them.

1676597248481.jpeg

These are the black rails, but it's the same exact screws and hole locations. This shows all 5 screws, the 2 push clips are likely optional, it holds it in place while you screw in the screws.

1676597364652.jpeg

gumbo2000

Reaction score
There are 5 screws, and 2 push clips.

I THINK the push clips camewith the rails.
I don't know what size the screws are but this is a picture of one of them.

These are the black rails, but it's the same exact screws and hole locations. This shows all 5 screws, the 2 push clips are likely optional, it holds it in place while you screw in the screws.
Thank you very much! Really appreciate the pictures. Thankfully I think I have the right hardware ordered.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where did you get silver rails and do you happen to have a part number for them? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
I got mine from a dealership, they are an OEM part.
These are the left and right rails and what I paid for them back in mid 2022.
People seem to awlys find a fake part number of "DTRAIL" but from what I see it doesn't acutely exist, just need these 2 parts in the picture
1682736273653.png

kygood247

Reaction score
I got mine from a dealership, they are an OEM part.
These are the left and right rails and what I paid for them back in mid 2022.
People seem to awlys find a fake part number of "DTRAIL" but from what I see it doesn't acutely exist, just need these 2 parts in the picture
View attachment 157634
Ok, thank you very much. I recently bought an aftermarket retractable tonneau cover for my 20 ram 1500 w/ ramboxes, and i didn't realize till after i bought it that it wouldn't fit the black rails i have. In the installation guide it showed pictures of a different rail system, so i new there had to be something else out there.

Users who are viewing this thread