5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

TSR6

Reaction score
I just wanted to share, I purchased the Truxedo Sentry CT tonneau cover for my 2024 Ram with the MFT.

Truxedo basically trims the bed rails where the braces are. Unfortunately, mine was trimmed a solid 1/8" short, and the rail doesnt fit without hitting the brace. It won't seal down to the bed cap.
I called RealTruck, and they're going to have Truxedo call me either Monday or Tuesday to figure out what next steps are. I offered to grind down the rails, and was told NOT to modify the rails, or they'd void my warranty, and I should wait for a call back.

I need to use my bed before then, so I did temporarily remove the braces. Now I wait for a call from Truxedo - and hope it's Monday and not later.

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 33

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
You should try doing what i did and loosen all the brace bolts before clamping down the rails. There was enough slop in the bolt holes to accomodate what i needed. Perhaps you will have the same result.

TSR6

Reaction score
You should try doing what i did and loosen all the brace bolts before clamping down the rails. There was enough slop in the bolt holes to accomodate what i needed. Perhaps you will have the same result.
I tried that, It gained some space, but I’m still a solid 1/8” short of where I need to be.

TSR6

Reaction score
Do the Right On braces sit lower than the stock braces? It says they're only 2" which is less than the stock brace.

TSR6

Reaction score
I just called Right On - while their bracket is only 2" wide (and stock is wider - I forget what I measured, but I think it was closer to 2 & 1/4) - they stated it sits flush with the bed cap, which wouldnt give me the room I need.

Photos sent to Truxedo, awaiting for them to forward to their engineering team and reach back out to me.

TSR6

Reaction score
Called Truxedo again today checking for an update. Unfortunately, they’re still waiting to hear back from engineering.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Hard to imagine during the production of the oem corner brackets, the physical properties and the holes were not all made in the exact same place. Equally hard to imagine the location holes in the truck bed are not all the same.
Most likely, the problem is the manufacturing modification to the tonneau cover rail. They did, after all, take an existing part and cut some off it !
My X15pro didnt fit without me lowering the corner brackets as far as i could, and im almost sure I removed the washer they want put in there !
Any chance that washer dimension is what you need to gain ?

Bapa

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight/information on installing a EGR RollTrac cover on a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited w/MFT?

TSR6

Reaction score
Hard to imagine during the production of the oem corner brackets, the physical properties and the holes were not all made in the exact same place. Equally hard to imagine the location holes in the truck bed are not all the same.
Most likely, the problem is the manufacturing modification to the tonneau cover rail. They did, after all, take an existing part and cut some off it !
My X15pro didnt fit without me lowering the corner brackets as far as i could, and im almost sure I removed the washer they want put in there !
Any chance that washer dimension is what you need to gain ?
I didnt even get to the point of putting that washer on before I knew I had a problem. I stopped at the step where you put the first clamp on the rail because I realized the front wasn't going to fit.

Still waiting for Truxedo... I'm going to call them again today.

TSR6

Reaction score
Spoke with Truxedo today - mine is cut/recessed to 1/2" and they're suggesting it should be 5/8" - they are sending new rails.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Spoke with Truxedo today - mine is cut/recessed to 1/2" and they're suggesting it should be 5/8" - they are sending new rails.
Ahh - that would do it. Did they admit they erred, or are they just accomodating you?
Let us know how it works out.

TSR6

Reaction score
Ahh - that would do it. Did they admit they erred, or are they just accomodating you?
Let us know how it works out.

50/50...

"It could be cut deeper, but it sounds like its almost right at our tolerance" was roughly the conversation.

They gave me the go-ahead to grind down my current brackets and attempt to make them fit if the new ones don't work.

I don't know if Ram changed the brackets, or if the tolerances of my truck vs. the tolerance of the bedcover just don't line up - but it looks really dumb when the bedrail's seal sits flat at the back half of the truck, but slowly raises to about 1/8" too high at the front, and clearly not sealed.

The new bedrails ship Monday, and should be to me within 2-3 days

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Might have to wallow out the brackets bolt holes a little if you still have an issue. I loosened those bolts, put a short piece of 2x4 on the top of the rail, and wrapped a large C clamp to pull the rail down as far as possible before putting on the rail clamps.

TSR6

Reaction score
Might have to wallow out the brackets bolt holes a little if you still have an issue. I loosened those bolts, put a short piece of 2x4 on the top of the rail, and wrapped a large C clamp to pull the rail down as far as possible before putting on the rail clamps.

If I still had a Bridgeport I’d have done that right away!

TSR6

Reaction score
Update, got new rails today. I didn't get a chance to measure them, but they appear to be cut significantly deeper than my original rails. I'm not sure if I have enough time to mess with them tonight - but for sure by this weekend.

TSR6

Reaction score
The new rails fit. I did have to make one modification to the rail end cap. I'm making a video that should help people in the future.

If Truxedo makes one minor change, this would fit perfect out of the box.

One thing to note, I'm not sure if the numbers on the rails are a serial number, or a part number - but I did notice the number on one of my rails was different than before (didnt check the other)

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
The new rails fit. I did have to make one modification to the rail end cap. I'm making a video that should help people in the future.

If Truxedo makes one minor change, this would fit perfect out of the box.

One thing to note, I'm not sure if the numbers on the rails are a serial number, or a part number - but I did notice the number on one of my rails was different than before (didnt check the other)
Might be a revision upgrade number. Glad to see your problem is solved, and its good to see Truxedo work with you to resolve it !

TSR6

Reaction score
Might be a revision upgrade number. Glad to see your problem is solved, and its good to see Truxedo work with you to resolve it !
They still need to revise the plastic end-caps. On my previous rails, I was hitting the rails on the brackets - on the new rails, there was plenty of clearance, but I still couldnt quite get it to seal. Saw it was now hitting on the plastic endcap to the corner brace. I had to cut that down to make it fit - but it works.

I also just realized that my video is bogus - my phone was connected to my work headset, so it didnt record ANY audio. I'm going to try and voice-over it....

Humphammer

Reaction score
I have a BakFlip MX4 on a 2024 Limited with the MFT. Install took maybe 30 minutes, it fits perfectly, it's very light, and about as waterproof as you are going to find. It's a bit pricy, but in the long haul well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread