5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

AndyG

Reaction score
Anyone here have a Retrax Pro XR system and have run into any of the issues talked about here:

It's kind of a long video but the gist is that

1 - mounting the retrax rails on the silver rails basically puts all of the weight on six screws because the retrax rails are not sitting directly on anything - they are just floating.
2 - Because of the floating retrax rails the rain seals are compromised all around the cover providing almost no seal against rain.

Seems like significant issues on this very expensive system? I have a 2023 Limited with Rambox and MFT on order and am looking for the best option that I can still use a bike rack with.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone here have a Retrax Pro XR system and have run into any of the issues talked about here:

It's kind of a long video but the gist is that

1 - mounting the retrax rails on the silver rails basically puts all of the weight on six screws because the retrax rails are not sitting directly on anything - they are just floating.
2 - Because of the floating retrax rails the rain seals are compromised all around the cover providing almost no seal against rain.

Seems like significant issues on this very expensive system? I have a 2023 Limited with Rambox and MFT on order and am looking for the best option that I can still use a bike rack with.
I have a Gatorax MX, which is the same thing without the bike rails.
It does sit on the silver rails, I had to install the silver rails myself.

The actual cover does not float. It is secured into the rails that the cover comes with.
You have your bed, then silver rails, then the Rambox rails (from Retrax) then the cover's rails themself.
You mount the Rambox rails to your silver rails using in channel aluminum block mounts.
You mount the cover's rails to the Rambox rails via claps (the same as a regular cover).
The silver rails are super strong, and very strong into your truck. I believe it was 97 ft\lbs but don't quote me on that as it was last year I installed mine.

You need to make sure to install some kind of seal when you install your silver rails. I used some expanding foam and adhesive promoter on the back of the silver rails before I installed them.
You will also need to install something near the front (and possibly back) of the silver rails to prevent water that trickles down via the back 2 corners that go past the Ramboxes and most covers don't hit. I put back silicone inside of the silver rails to make the water want to drip out due to gravity and not into the middle of the silver rails.

I very rarely get very very minor drips in the middle between the slats somehow. Doesn't have to do with rain pressure.
And the drain tubes kind of fit like crap, then go into bare metal and just turn with a rubber gasket on the bottom to seal and the "flex" tubing they give you is super rigid but you can make your own.

It's a several hour install to get it right, easier with 2 people for most of the steps.
Plan for adjusting it at least another 2 times after you install it to "get it right".
All in all I probably spent 6-8 hours installing it and all the adjustments partly because of the Ramboxes, and partly because the cover seemingly wasn't designed for a truck with Ramboxes, which is why they give you a second set of rails.

I personally will not get a retractable cover again.
A hard trifold works for me, cheaper and easier to get a good water tight seal.

AndyG

Reaction score
I have a Gatorax MX, which is the same thing without the bike rails.
It does sit on the silver rails, I had to install the silver rails myself.

The actual cover does not float. It is secured into the rails that the cover comes with.
You have your bed, then silver rails, then the Rambox rails (from Retrax) then the cover's rails themself.
You mount the Rambox rails to your silver rails using in channel aluminum block mounts.
You mount the cover's rails to the Rambox rails via claps (the same as a regular cover).
The silver rails are super strong, and very strong into your truck. I believe it was 97 ft\lbs but don't quote me on that as it was last year I installed mine.

You need to make sure to install some kind of seal when you install your silver rails. I used some expanding foam and adhesive promoter on the back of the silver rails before I installed them.
You will also need to install something near the front (and possibly back) of the silver rails to prevent water that trickles down via the back 2 corners that go past the Ramboxes and most covers don't hit. I put back silicone inside of the silver rails to make the water want to drip out due to gravity and not into the middle of the silver rails.

I very rarely get very very minor drips in the middle between the slats somehow. Doesn't have to do with rain pressure.
And the drain tubes kind of fit like crap, then go into bare metal and just turn with a rubber gasket on the bottom to seal and the "flex" tubing they give you is super rigid but you can make your own.

It's a several hour install to get it right, easier with 2 people for most of the steps.
Plan for adjusting it at least another 2 times after you install it to "get it right".
All in all I probably spent 6-8 hours installing it and all the adjustments partly because of the Ramboxes, and partly because the cover seemingly wasn't designed for a truck with Ramboxes, which is why they give you a second set of rails.

I personally will not get a retractable cover again.
A hard trifold works for me, cheaper and easier to get a good water tight seal.
Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm leaning the same way to go with a trifold or something similar. I'd still like to find something with a bike rack - even if it has to be removed when opening the cover.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow just watched that video.
That guy seems clueless.

I don't have any of his problems.
He also talks about the "seal" on the black Rambox rails from Retrax and he doesn't understand the rubber "seal" is not suppose to seal anything. It's to prevent paint getting chipped when opening your Ramboxes.

The rails that come on a Rambox truck originally (black not silver) come with weatherstripped pre-allied built into the back but he thought he could put on Silver rails and not do the same?.

I also have no problem using my cargo tie downs, I have 3 on each side. You can't access the very front or very rear, so I have 2 on each side up front "locked in" and 2 in the middle that move freely and don't hit the cover.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm leaning the same way to go with a trifold or something similar. I'd still like to find something with a bike rack - even if it has to be removed when opening the cover.
No problem.
It's not a terrible cover I was just expecting it to be gift from god for the price but it's not.
Do you tow? Else you could get a hitch mounted one.
I got a 4 bike hitch rack for $70 used.

If you go a trifold I highly recommend the MX4. I'm sure you could make a custom mount for bikes by drilling into the aluminum panels if you wanted to.

AndyG

Reaction score
No problem.
It's not a terrible cover I was just expecting it to be gift from god for the price but it's not.
Do you tow? Else you could get a hitch mounted one.
I got a 4 bike hitch rack for $70 used.

If you go a trifold I highly recommend the MX4. I'm sure you could make a custom mount for bikes by drilling into the aluminum panels if you wanted to.

Yea, most of the time that I'll be transporting bikes will be when were towing our RV as well. I saw a couple videos where people did just that with a couple mounting brackets into a trifold so I'm going to do some digging. I think that will also be a huge money saver too. The retractable cover + bike rack is $$$

turbo2000

Reaction score
Newby here so do trash me too much! I just took delivery of a new 22 Limited…..Just wondering if anyone has used these aftermarket brackets with a Pace-Edwadds Jackrabbit? I’m retired tech and can make mods….any info must appreciated!!

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an FYI - Diamondback has partnered with Yakima for racks that work with their covers. They just started making a tri-fold cover but unfortunately, I don't think their racks work with it. All of their covers can support at least 400 lbs for hauling things on top of them though.

Reactions: c3k

Wenox7

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Leer HF350M on a non rambox? using the stock brackets or the aftermarket ones?

turbo2000

Reaction score
I has a Pace Edwards cover years ago and HATED IT. Buy a Retrax! If you are hell bent on a PE cover, I would bet that it will fit fine using the Right-On Brackets.
Why? I’ve loved the ones I had ……. Current one is 12 years old …… convince me on Retrax please I have no experience with then other than what I have seen in posts . I don’t have to walk the PE back it retracts on its own with a twist of the lock. Thanks

turbo2000

Reaction score
Sorry, but I still think the 2020 - 2021 bracket thing is a hoax. Same part number but, the holes are aligned differently??? I just don't believe it. There would be ZERO reason for RAM to change the position of the holes and, if they did, the part numbers would differ.
If a fly pukes on a part the number changes!

turbo2000

Reaction score
I had a metal jackrabbit on my 2017 2500 and it worked perfectly . I now now have a Retrax XR on my 2021 with MFT and it works perfectly. I like the security a hard cover provides.
I ended up ordering the Retrax pro MX …….. will see how that goes …. The jackrabbit sealed well as I use my bed with hopes things won’t get wet….minor leaks on the tailgate edges were contained with a couple towels.

Chingy98

Reaction score
What size tool is needed to remove the screws? I just need to know what to borrow or pick up. Thanks

Chingy98

Reaction score
Sharing some product news, we found that the 2023 RAM w/ the MFT has the same hole alignment as the last 2 years. Simply remove the OEM bracket and install our replacement w/ the same OEM hardware.

We recently did a strength test and found our bracket is stronger than the OEM bracket. The reason is the OEM bracket is "cast" and we use hot rolled steel. Our steel is better designed for stress, which is why they included the reinforcement bar. Both brackets are plenty strong for the stress they're intended for, but since we get strength based questions we wanted to share this test!

In regards to types of tonneau covers are compatible with our brackets, this is where we rely on everyone here. Most covers have worked, some covers need to make slight modifications, and some covers are not compatible. If you are curious what cover is compatible, there are 46 pages of feedback and resources here to go off of here! We appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and installation process!

We are always looking for feedback. If you have any recommendations on how our MFT bracket can be improved, please reach out to us via Email!

-Pete and the R.O.B team.
Ordered one. What tool do I need to remove the screws?

CoZo6

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Retrax pro MX …….. will see how that goes …. The jackrabbit sealed well as I use my bed with hopes things won’t get wet….minor leaks on the tailgate edges were contained with a couple towels.
in the box comes small 3/4” plastic “adjustment ” nylon nuts that you use to align the rails. I called the company and asked for longer ones, I think 1 1/4” and they worked perfectly to align the rails…hope it goes well. They are no cost.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
RealTruck now has a listing for the cover im interested in, Truxedo Pro X15, part number TRX1485801, for MF tailgate, and therefore with the oem brackets !
I cannot imagine how they are doing that as the rails mount right there.
Anyone have this setup, and can throw some light on this one ?

Answered my own question today with a little help from Realtruck.com.
This new cover has rails that lay on top of the OEM corner brace so the Rightons are not needed. See attached PDF.
Im going to try this one !

Attachments

• 7a9eac5ca17ebb732676ec057dbcb75e.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a follow up after a bit more than two years of owning a Retrax cover with MFT. In fact, my son has a similar setup (MFT and Retrax) on his '22 Big Horn, so this is based on two trucks and about 4 total years of ownership between the two.

First, Retrax does NOT recommend their cover with an MFT.

Second, I added a water/dust proofing kit to the tailgate. It's some large, adhesive gaskets. (<- They work pretty well.)

I would NOT purchase the Retrax again if I had the choice. The biggest issue is how much it leaks. All four corners of my bed are soaked after any rainstorm. My truck has the factory rake, so the rear is higher than the front. Any water should flow into the Retrax container and then drain through the tubes on the bottom. I've replaced the factory drain tubes twice on each of our trucks. They don't stay tight, and without being tight, they leak. I've since created my own drain lines. They have stayed attached, however, the leaks continue. It seems water follows the tracks, inside/under the cover.

The leaks are at all four corners and all four leaks are significant. I have a Bed Rug installed (just the floor type, it does not go up the sidewalls or tailgate). The Bed Rug gets soaked at each corner, about 2 feet long and 1 foot into the bed...all four sides. I keep some tool boxes under the Retrax cartridge against the front wall of the bed. The bottoms are always soaked.

I have a Swing Case at the back right. The top of it has a depression to store/hold things. It is about an 1" deep, 2" wide and 18" long. (The entire lid, parallel to the hinge.) That depression is always filled after any rain.

The amount of water is significant.

I wanted a secure, waterproof, cover. I do not have that.

Also, the cover gets so hot in the summer that it cannot be touched. A forearm laid on it by accident results in a lot of pain. The hot-box effect under it is probably going to be the same, regardless of what solution is chosen, but it still significant.

I like the T channel on the rails. I've got some racks there. (They do a LOT of good work for me.)

(I'm aware that Retrax says the rails need to be installed with a twist to them. LOL. Yeah, I'd like to see how that's actually done with the two clamps per side and how they're configured. I cut some plastic shims and used a digital level to ensure I had that slope. It is hard, to near impossible, to have that slope AND to have the clamps tight.)

Last edited:

auburnvfr

Reaction score
Just installed the Undercover Armor Flex AX32012 made for the MFT (no rambox). It is designed to work with the factory braces and the rails do not need to be cut or modified. The quick release clamps attach to the diagonal portion of the brace. The rails are cut shorter and use a drain cup that attaches to the bottom of the brace. The cup empties directly into the upper bed drain hole. It uses a new flatter style clamp that originally gave met fits until I called customer support. Omitted in the instructions was the fact that the clamps slide into a channel on the bottom of the bed rail which ensures the rails do not tip downward but remain level when tightened. The black coating can make one or two of them difficult to get in and slide, but everything was smooth sailing after getting this little nugget of info.

Attachments

• IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4939.jpeg
    IMG_4939.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg