5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

Millertime157

Reaction score
Finally got my Retrax ProXR installed on my 2020 Ram 1500 5'7 bed without rambox and with Multi function tailgate.. The brackets that were made by rightonbracket.com were spot on. They fit like a glove. I installed the Retrax Pro XR with my wife which took about an hour plus a little bit of bickering. The retrax cover fit perfect with good sealing front and rear. The tailgate doors open and close nicely. I couldn't be happier with the brackets and I feel that the View attachment 42689 View attachment 42690 View attachment 42691 View attachment 42692 View attachment 42693 View attachment 42689 View attachment 42690 View attachment 42691 View attachment 42692 View attachment 42693 y are stronger and will last just as long as the originals.
How does the Retrax seal on the MFT? I would guess minimal water gets in. I am looking at the same setup. Any suggestions after the fact?

daze513

Reaction score
On my 2020 with MFT, I have temporarily installed my re-used Tyger Soft folding (purchased on amazon 3 years ago for my 2016 1500). It has 2 screw tightening hooks that just barely make it past the brackets in the front. and the rear has the typical lever style hooks to the bed rail bottom. The edge stitching is frayed in some spots but otherwise keeps out water fairly well. Im currently watching all the MFT / Tonneau covers threads to see which is the best option to upgrade to. I really dont want to take off the front OEM brackets.

It does work fine with the MFT as far as closing and opening, and the rear seals well, other than the slight gap between the tailgate split.

8e263d8ca6f5b9773b30a5738bc2ba0c.jpg
bfe65e8764d9623c3f1b4deed6af86e9.jpg
97535ba29afb641007cc904cb1da085d.jpg
a72315f4da4dba10e8538210515cf31d.jpg
da31b9e111b17bf023a77ecc3937cf97.jpg

Last edited:

cnote

Reaction score
On my 2020 with MFT, I have temporarily installed my re-used Tyger Soft folding (purchased on amazon 3 years ago for my 2016 1500). It has 2 screw tightening hooks that just barely make it past the brackets in the front. and the rear has the typical lever style hooks to the bed rail bottom. The edge stitching is frayed in some spots but otherwise keeps out water fairly well. Im currently watching all the MFT / Tonneau covers threads to see which is the best option to upgrade to. I really dont want to take off the front OEM brackets.

It does work fine with the MFT as far as closing and opening, and the rear seals well, other than the slight gap between the tailgate split.

8e263d8ca6f5b9773b30a5738bc2ba0c.jpg
bfe65e8764d9623c3f1b4deed6af86e9.jpg
97535ba29afb641007cc904cb1da085d.jpg
a72315f4da4dba10e8538210515cf31d.jpg
da31b9e111b17bf023a77ecc3937cf97.jpg
Got the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 for my 2020 Ram 1500 with MFT. Installed it the other day, fits fine. Haven't checked it yet to see how dry the bed is, will have to check sometime.

SugarRaeRae

Reaction score
I purchased the RetraxPro MX for RamBox with BUG and MF gate for 1599 delivered. Installed it myself, a little fit-up required, no problems as my 2020 LTD didn't have any braces. Just installed it but my observations are these:
The drain system will need to be modified to work correctly,
The seal along the sides will likely leak,
There is a gap between the MF gate and the top which will leak.
the RamBoxs cannot open 100% as they push against the seals but they open far enough.

Having said that, once adjusted, the top seems to operate smoothly, and it's supposed to loosen up with use. It looks nice, and it has enough clearance for the bed divider. It is good quality as far a materials of construction go. There are limited options at this time for the RamBox / MF Gate setup, (that I found). I've had ARE and Undercover tops, both of which worked well however had to be removed in order to carry anything taller than a couple of feet, and wont work with RamBox / MF Gate. This Roll up style does use up some space on the cab end but doesn't require removal to carry taller cargo.

I'll use it and make some seal modifications as I go. Overall I think it will work out fine. The photos attached show the described points. the top bracket cant be moved back any further in order to make a better seal along the MF gate because it is already contacting the MF gate. Possibly it could be trimmed however the large gaps at the sides are still open.
edit: I also tried to lower the tie down rails but this was as far as they seemed to go. I may remove them and slot the holes so it cn be lowered more. after seeing other pics (however not with RamBox), it seems the lid sits lower than I can get mine.
View attachment 42262 View attachment 42263 View attachment 42264 View attachment 42265 View attachment 42266
First of all, a few thanks to you:
1. Thank you for your detailed review of your installation and the potential drawbacks!
2. Thank you for your pictures to help better depict what you were explaining!
3. Thank you for including your options in your signature!

I just got my truck right before New Year's and have been in desperate search of a bed cover that works both with the RamBoxes and the MFT. I see you also have the BUG which is an option that I have as well. I have reviewed several threads and you are the only match I have found. This is the first truck that I have ever owned so I don't know a lot. However, I am a pretty handy female so would prefer to purchase a bed cover and install myself with the help of a neighbor as opposed to paying a local store a few hundred bucks to do it for me. Were there any modifications you had to make with the installation or any tips with the installation? Now that you have had it on for a month, how resistant is it to leaking? Do you think it was worth the purchase?

jcarcueva

Reaction score
Got the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 for my 2020 Ram 1500 with MFT. Installed it the other day, fits fine. Haven't checked it yet to see how dry the bed is, will have to check sometime.

Would you be able to take a pic of where it sits near the bracket? I am interesting in getting an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 too

cnote

Reaction score
Would you be able to take a pic of where it sits near the bracket? I am interesting in getting an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 too

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with multi function tailgate, no Ram boxes. Brackets are still in place, see pics below. Unbox and install. This is the one I ordered from tonneaucoversworld.com

EXT-83427 - Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover

1579982529888.png

1579982543394.png

1579982556804.png

rightonbracket

Reaction score
The more feedback from you all the better. We're "officially" a shelving and countertop support bracket company, but many Ram owners have been reaching out to us for help with this issue.

We don't have a Ram Truck to test on, so again...the more feedback the better! We want to make perfect replacement brackets for this problem!

Here's a link to our replacement bracket kit:

Reach out if you have any questions. Our E-mail is: [email protected]

-Pete

Tkechter1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with multi function tailgate, no Ram boxes. Brackets are still in place, see pics below. Unbox and install. This is the one I ordered from tonneaucoversworld.com

EXT-83427 - Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover

1579982529888.png

1579982543394.png

1579982556804.png
I can't get the pics to load. Would you be able to repost or send them to me in a private message. Thanks

SugarRaeRae

Reaction score
I purchased the RetraxPro MX for RamBox with BUG and MF gate for 1599 delivered. Installed it myself, a little fit-up required, no problems as my 2020 LTD didn't have any braces. Just installed it but my observations are these:
The drain system will need to be modified to work correctly,
The seal along the sides will likely leak,
There is a gap between the MF gate and the top which will leak.
the RamBoxs cannot open 100% as they push against the seals but they open far enough.

Having said that, once adjusted, the top seems to operate smoothly, and it's supposed to loosen up with use. It looks nice, and it has enough clearance for the bed divider. It is good quality as far a materials of construction go. There are limited options at this time for the RamBox / MF Gate setup, (that I found). I've had ARE and Undercover tops, both of which worked well however had to be removed in order to carry anything taller than a couple of feet, and wont work with RamBox / MF Gate. This Roll up style does use up some space on the cab end but doesn't require removal to carry taller cargo.

I'll use it and make some seal modifications as I go. Overall I think it will work out fine. The photos attached show the described points. the top bracket cant be moved back any further in order to make a better seal along the MF gate because it is already contacting the MF gate. Possibly it could be trimmed however the large gaps at the sides are still open.
edit: I also tried to lower the tie down rails but this was as far as they seemed to go. I may remove them and slot the holes so it cn be lowered more. after seeing other pics (however not with RamBox), it seems the lid sits lower than I can get mine.
View attachment 42262 View attachment 42263 View attachment 42264 View attachment 42265 View attachment 42266
Where did you order yours from?

Snaps

Reaction score
Installed the Pace Edwards Ultragroove Metal with the righton brackets. It's an almost perfect fit, but I had to remove the higher sitting bolt on the rail side of the brackets as it prevented a flush fit. Then I had to swap the front right and front left clamps because there's an obstruction where they're meant to attach, which I assume isn't present without the MFT. So this means the front clamps are about 3 inches further back, which seems fine as everything is tightly secured. The tailgate seal doesn't sit flush when you close it, but you can flatten it with your finger. Also, I believe the front seal will leak so I'll need to reinforce it. Overall I'm happy with it. Only took one pic, but I can take more if anyone would like.

Attachments

• 20200221_194410.jpg
    20200221_194410.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

zakuva

Reaction score
i just ordered the
BAK Vortrak Tonneau Cover for my 2020 ram with mft and no ram boxes and brackets from right on bracket ill let you guys know how it goes

Snaps

Reaction score
Installed the Pace Edwards Ultragroove Metal with the righton brackets. It's an almost perfect fit, but I had to remove the higher sitting bolt on the rail side of the brackets as it prevented a flush fit. Then I had to swap the front right and front left clamps because there's an obstruction where they're meant to attach, which I assume isn't present without the MFT. So this means the front clamps are about 3 inches further back, which seems fine as everything is tightly secured. The tailgate seal doesn't sit flush when you close it, but you can flatten it with your finger. Also, I believe the front seal will leak so I'll need to reinforce it. Overall I'm happy with it. Only took one pic, but I can take more if anyone would like.
Update on this. The cover's tailgate seal now sits the way it's meant to upon closing after being in that position overnight. Everything else is tight and sealed well. Only real issue is having to remove a bolt from the brackets to get the canister in. I'll likely end up replacing the bolt with a lower profile one just to be on the safe side, but I'm not really concerned.

Brownadame

Reaction score
Hello! First post on this forum, but I wanted to chime in about the replacement brackets from Pete at rightonbrackets.com. I really appreciated all the conversations in the forum here about getting replacement brackets so I could get the bed cover I wanted, so I'd like to add my experience for those that are still figuring out what to do. I can't recommend this option highly enough. The replacement brackets showed up very quickly from rightonbrackets and Pete gave me a call once he saw they were delivered to see how things were working. The only thing I had to do was cut back about 1/4 inch of the spray in bedliner to get the brackets to fit flush. I had the Retrax cover installed by an authorized installer (I didn't have time do it before I needed the cover and was also very curious to see what a professional installer thought of the brackets). The installer was impressed by the brackets, asked for the website I got them so he can recommend it to other customers who have been coming with the same issues. Retrax cover was installed with no issues, works great, no problems at all. Highly recommend, you won't be disappointed. I'm happy to take an additional pictures or answer any questions you might have about this.
IMG_4557.jpg IMG_4557.jpg IMG_4559.jpg IMG_4560.jpg IMG_4562.jpg IMG_4565.jpg IMG_4566.jpg IMG_4577.jpg IMG_4579.jpg IMG_4581.jpg IMG_4637.jpg

Jgwick

Reaction score
Hello! First post on this forum, but I wanted to chime in about the replacement brackets from Pete at rightonbrackets.com. I really appreciated all the conversations in the forum here about getting replacement brackets so I could get the bed cover I wanted, so I'd like to add my experience for those that are still figuring out what to do. I can't recommend this option highly enough. The replacement brackets showed up very quickly from rightonbrackets and Pete gave me a call once he saw they were delivered to see how things were working. The only thing I had to do was cut back about 1/4 inch of the spray in bedliner to get the brackets to fit flush. I had the Retrax cover installed by an authorized installer (I didn't have time do it before I needed the cover and was also very curious to see what a professional installer thought of the brackets). The installer was impressed by the brackets, asked for the website I got them so he can recommend it to other customers who have been coming with the same issues. Retrax cover was installed with no issues, works great, no problems at all. Highly recommend, you won't be disappointed. I'm happy to take an additional pictures or answer any questions you might have about this.
View attachment 47827 View attachment 47827 View attachment 47828 View attachment 47829 View attachment 47830 View attachment 47831 View attachment 47832 View attachment 47833 View attachment 47834 View attachment 47835 View attachment 47836
I’m in Colorado. Where did you get it installed?

rightonbracket

Reaction score
View attachment 47827 View attachment 47827 View attachment 47828 View attachment 47829 View attachment 47830 View attachment 47831 View attachment 47832 View attachment 47833 View attachment 47834 View attachment 47835 View attachment 47836

I'm glad these turned out well! Thanks for the shout-out and choosing us!

If anyone needs a pair, here's a link to our bracket replacements:

-Pete

NJC1684

Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread but I've got an Access "original" roll-up cover ACI-14289.

Users who are viewing this thread