5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Recommendations

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics with no light and with bed light. Huge difference.

Attachments

• A7794D25-A9D7-434C-852C-166850397AB4.jpeg
    A7794D25-A9D7-434C-852C-166850397AB4.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 3B12540C-AA36-4FCD-BAD7-97CB96053AEF.jpeg
    3B12540C-AA36-4FCD-BAD7-97CB96053AEF.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 125

BugGuy

Reaction score
Question for the bakflip guys. I had one on a work truck in the past. The two things that stuck out is that I couldn't shut the tailgate with the bakflip closed because it could/would damage the seal. The other thing I noticed was that where the sections would bend, the rubber seal on the sides would develop a permanent bend and could let in water. Is that still the case?? Anyone else notice these things?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar (Bakflip F1). I didn't spray liner my bed, used a Dee Zee bed mat and Weathertech tailgate cover. The Weathertech cover has a strip that goes on at the top of the tailgate and creates a lip that fits well with the rubber stripping on the bed cover. I also added stake pocket covers in the rear to completely seal the bed. It doesn't leak a drop, even when pressure washing or through the car wash.
Another thing I like about it is you still have FULL access to the bed once you flip it back and use the prop rods to hold it up. Really nice design and well made. I had the dealer install prior to purchase. It's Mopar badged and they added a white T handle to the left side pull cord for something to grab to open the first tier.

Like mentioned before, this subject is very subjective and personal needs, taste, and budget will help you make your decision. Really no wrong answer.
Amazing that yours doesn’t leak. I had 2 installed and both leaked like crazy. I finally got fed up and returned it to the dealer. I put my soft tri fold back on which doesn’t leak at all.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Question for the bakflip guys. I had one on a work truck in the past. The two things that stuck out is that I couldn't shut the tailgate with the bakflip closed because it could/would damage the seal. The other thing I noticed was that where the sections would bend, the rubber seal on the sides would develop a permanent bend and could let in water. Is that still the case?? Anyone else notice these things?
They changed the design on all their tri-fold covers to allow you to close the tailgate now without raising the back section. I had the old VP and you had to do this just as you described, but now even with the new G2 (their least expensive tri-fold), you can close it without the extra step. This is a HUGE change and advantage over the old design. Besides the convenience factor, it should significantly reduce wear and tear on the latching mechanisms, springs, and cables since you don't have to use them literally every time you close your tailgate.

I had my VP for three years on my 2017 F150 and never noticed the perma-bend you're talking about. However, I regularly cleaned it and used a good protectant to keep it soft and pliable. Never had a leak problem to speak of...only a few minor dribbles at the tailgate on very heavy rains or pressure washing.

Last edited:

Ramgoose

Reaction score
I went with the Undercover Ultraflex. It has a 5 year warranty and came with an led bed light. It was close to $200 off from truckalterations.com. Just call them say you're on this forum for a good price. View attachment 47308 View attachment 47309
Nice!
Amazing that yours doesn’t leak. I had 2 installed and both leaked like crazy. I finally got fed up and returned it to the dealer. I put my soft tri fold back on which doesn’t leak at all.
ARE Fusion paint code matched.
LED light and a BedRug. Lifetime warranty on paint.
Cheers
83E0E4F7-44FB-44B0-B98F-F869F1A28AB7.jpeg

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Is there something different about the "Mopar" version of the Bakflip and the non-Mopar versions? Because I'm on my 4th Bakflip (four different trucks) and never had a leaking problem. Two F150s and now on my 2nd Ram. Just a few very small dribbles at the tailgate in extreme rain or pressure washing, as mentioned in my above post.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Is anyone with a spray in liner using any of this tri-folds have issues with sealing on the front of the bed side with the materials the kits come with? Or did you get heavier duty sealing material to keep it secured and water tight?

Reaction score
I went with the Bakflip MX4. Happy with it so far. Drove it around while it was raining the next day and had no leaks. Took it through the car wash yesterday and had a small 3” water spot in the bed

Attachments

• 42E05E76-A4DB-48AB-95D9-76920BBB8D91.jpeg
    42E05E76-A4DB-48AB-95D9-76920BBB8D91.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 65

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Just got a Gator EFX for under $600 and couldn't be happier. View attachment 47323
Nice. Good price, too. The only thing I can see different with it from my Bakflip is you can't fold it up out of the third position to stand up and lean against the back of the cab. But if it pops off easily or you never need that feature, then it's a heckuva deal.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in P.ville work in B.R. travel all along the coast south of N.O. fishing. I have 3500 or so miles on my truck with the Mopar cover and it's configuration. No leaks, it's been flawless. People who live here know how much rain we just went through. The pics above are from yesterday after the 3-4 days of rain.
I don't fold mine up a lot but have a few times. Nothing permanent in the molding areas so far to allow leaks. Relatively new though, we shall see. Leaks aren't really a concern for me though, just something I noticed.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Is anyone with a spray in liner using any of this tri-folds have issues with sealing on the front of the bed side with the materials the kits come with? Or did you get heavier duty sealing material to keep it secured and water tight?
I don't have the spray in liner with this particular vehicle, but my last two did have it. I didn't have any issues using the provided sealing foam, maybe because the weight and pressure of the cover keeps it in place. Not sure, but never had any leaks up front that I was aware of.

If you are concerned about it, you could get a more aggressive tape or use a slightly thicker foam. This will provide more resistance and a tighter seal when you tighten down the front section of the cover underneath. Just don't go TOO thick or it will leave a gap on the front sides and look funny to boot.

paulmtalleyjr

Reaction score
I think after some research I've fallen for the BAK Revolver X4 BUT its not available w/ the RamBox yet. Is there anything comparable out already?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there something different about the "Mopar" version of the Bakflip and the non-Mopar versions? Because I'm on my 4th Bakflip (four different trucks) and never had a leaking problem. Two F150s and now on my 2nd Ram. Just a few very small dribbles at the tailgate in extreme rain or pressure washing, as mentioned in my above post.
My understanding is that The Mopar cover is a Bakflip. Mine leaked at the front corners, over the wheel wells and very badly at the rear corners. The rear leaked so bad i actually had water pooling in the corners.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
So taking everything in consideration what would y'all say is the best hard top flip for someone that wants one that is very water tight, able to keep water tight with having the cover down and then closing tailgate, flush with bed rails, heavy duty enough to stand on, able to flip open the third panel to gain access to entire bed, and easy to remove if needed.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None of these covers are going to be water tight unless you go with a one piece hard cover. Almost all others get some water in around the tailgate area. I researched for 2 months before I purchased and ended up going with the Undercover Ultra Flex because it suited what I was looking for in a cover.
There are a lot of good options available from Undercover, BAK, Truxedo and many more. for a lot of people it comes down to cost. So you need to decide what You are willing to spend and then narrow down from there.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
So taking everything in consideration what would y'all say is the best hard top flip for someone that wants one that is very water tight, able to keep water tight with having the cover down and then closing tailgate, flush with bed rails, heavy duty enough to stand on, able to flip open the third panel to gain access to entire bed, and easy to remove if needed.
I agree with @LoNeStAr. None of the hard covers, or really any for that matter, are guaranteed to be watertight. The best thing to do is pick from a reputable brand (he listed most of them) find the one that has the load bearing properties and style you want, and that flips up all the way to the cab like the Bakflip or Undercover (or is easy to remove). Then be very meticulous when you install it, following all the instructions carefully and using the water runoff tubes to route the channeled water out of the bed front.

Then, if you have any discernible local leakage, use your favorite water/weather stripping where possible and add some extra to help prevent it without messing up the function or looks. That's about the best you can hope for.

I've been very lucky in that none of mine have leaked in any significant amounts. What little I did see was usually around the tailgate, which makes sense since it is naturally where you have the most moving parts that may or may not fit perfectly watertight. But if you need as close to watertight as possible, you may want to consider a fiberglass tonneau hardtop or something like it.

Users who are viewing this thread