5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Recommendations

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So taking everything in consideration what would y'all say is the best hard top flip for someone that wants one that is very water tight, able to keep water tight with having the cover down and then closing tailgate, flush with bed rails, heavy duty enough to stand on, able to flip open the third panel to gain access to entire bed, and easy to remove if needed.
Other than sitting flush with the rails it sounds like you’re describing the Diamondback covers. It’s what I have and couldn’t be happier, check them out.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I ended up going with the Bak mx4. Hit the points that I was looking for. Got it shipped for $784. Only thing I'm disappointed in is not having a bed light but I can get that done for pretty cheap after it's installed.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
Maaaaaaaan, I love that ARE cover, too bad they don't make it for the ramboxes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a trifold that is/can be painted. I'd prefer non textured if at all possible. Paragon and ARE don't make em compatible with the ramboxes.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Visited Road Runners Performance & Accessory Center in Avenel, NJ today after talking with Nick on the phone last week about tonneau covers. I'm not connected with them and came up with the store from the Extang recommended dealers. They have a very good supply of various brand tonneau sample/displays. You can get a first hand look of the tonneau materials and get their opinion/recommendations. I talked with Joe (I believe) in the store today and it was a pleasure as was Nick. I believe they have been in business 21 years.
I am replacing my Extang Black Max with something easier to open and close. I had it down to 2 choices (Extang Exceed and the Lomax) before visiting now I'm up to 6. Truxedo Sentry and the Sentry CT came back on my list after learning further detail and not so sure matte black finish is that high on my list, also added is the BakFlip Revolver X2 and X4.
Thanks to all who have given input on this forum.

K9cop

Reaction score
Do you have any type of bed liner? How's it hold up with rain? Living in South Louisiana we get a good bit of it.
It has the factory spray in bed liner. We've gotten a ridiculous amount of rain in TN since I got the bed cover and the only place water has gotten in is under the tailgate where the tailgate rotates. I plan to install a piece of weather stripping down there and it should be water tight.

gbp12

Reaction score
I was looking at the Undercover Armorfelx for my 2020 Laramie w/ 5.7 bed. Anyone with this cover have any issues?

jvoid4

Reaction score
I ended up going with the Bak mx4. Hit the points that I was looking for. Got it shipped for $784. Only thing I'm disappointed in is not having a bed light but I can get that done for pretty cheap after it's installed.
Where did you get yours? Real Trucks is having a 15% off sale. It is still $934 OTD though.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at the Undercover Armorfelx for my 2020 Laramie w/ 5.7 bed. Anyone with this cover have any issues?
Just installed one yesterday. Had an MX4 on my other truck. I like the Armor Flex much better. I did have to adjust the back of the rails slightly by pushing up on the rails as I tightened the last clamp because the tailgate was hard to shut - the back of the cover was sitting too low because the rails were leaning down/inward too much. Maybe needs a shim. Otherwise the Line-X coating looks great and should be much more scratch & dent resistant, and I like how the cover doesn't lean against the cab in the upward position. Just seems better quality overall than BAK even though they're made by the same parent company.

Where did you get yours? Real Trucks is having a 15% off sale. It is still $934 OTD though.
Truck Alterations (Luke) is the cheapest. $780 OTD for an MX4 right now.

gbp12

Reaction score
Just installed one yesterday. Had an MX4 on my other truck. I like the Armor Flex much better. I did have to adjust the back of the rails slightly by pushing up on the rails as I tightened the last clamp because the tailgate was hard to shut - the back of the cover was sitting too low because the rails were leaning down/inward too much. Maybe needs a shim. Otherwise the Line-X coating looks great and should be much more scratch & dent resistant, and I like how the cover doesn't lean against the cab in the upward position. Just seems better quality overall than BAK even though they're made by the same parent company.

Thanks. I just don't want to drop that kind of cash and have it be a POS.

Zogg44

Reaction score

I also just installed an Armor Flex yesterday. I love the look and the durability, and I'm hoping the Line-X will help it hold up in the Texas sun. I also considered the MX4 and others but the Armor Flex just seemed like the best choice.

I didn't install any foam strips to prevent tailgate leaks yet though, gotta figure out where to put those. Time for more research.

gbp12

Reaction score
I'm in southern New England, so it needs to be able to hold up to everything under the sun.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also just installed an Armor Flex yesterday. I love the look and the durability, and I'm hoping the Line-X will help it hold up in the Texas sun. I also considered the MX4 and others but the Armor Flex just seemed like the best choice.

I didn't install any foam strips to prevent tailgate leaks yet though, gotta figure out where to put those. Time for more research.

I’m still on the experimental stage of that process

Have a different temporary strip on both sides..... and after every rain I go see how it handled it

As my wife says, I’m way overthinking this .....

2020 1500 Canadian Sport 4x4 Delmonico Red

41magmag41

Reaction score
I went with an American trifold cover. Really not pleased. After a year all four corners are curling up. Looking at the OEM hard color coorinated bed cover now.

Zogg44

Reaction score
I’m still on the experimental stage of that process

Have a different temporary strip on both sides..... and after every rain I go see how it handled it

As my wife says, I’m way overthinking this .....

Maybe, but getting it right is oh so sweet!

gbp12

Reaction score
Just contacted Truck Alterations today to order the ArmorFelx. They gave me a great deal on it. Should be in by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread