5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Recommendations

paulmtalleyjr

Reaction score
I was gonna get a retractable one but didn't realize how pricey they are so now i'm thinking about getting one with the 3 pieces. Any recommendations would be thankful

rxit

Reaction score
I have a Lomax Agricover and love it. Install was simple and it appears to be well made.

I had a Peragon on my last truck, kind of an accordion folding design.

I prefer the trifold design over the Peragon style.

I got mine from truckalterations.com. They had a great price and it was delivered quickly.

witcohe

Reaction score
Check out the Revolver x4. I've had mine for 6 months now and love it.

Derf1872

Reaction score
I have the Truxedo lo pro model.
rolls up, light and looks great.
15 min to install.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
You can have a hundred different people post about a bed cover... all of them could have a different answer, and all of them would be correct.
This is such a subjective and personal preference.
I know I’m not really helping, just ask yourself what your needs are...
Convenience
Durability
Security
Weight
Colour
Complexity
Tools required
Brand loyalty
The list is endless

I personally have been eyeing the SE made by diamondback

good luck

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased the Undercover Ultra Flex, after months of research and comparisons. Also currently has $100 rebate. Will be installing tomorrow!

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
Got myself undercover armor flex tonneau $875+tax
Shipping free

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I went with the BakFlip F1 through Truck Alterations. 8 months later I’m 100% satisfied. Install was easy and it’s kept the bed dry through all but a power washer or heavy duty washing (even then there’s not much leakage for me). I chose the F1 because I wanted a textured surface (were exposed to risk of hail damage in NM) and so many of the trifolds are smooth aluminum.

Shmannion13

Reaction score
I was gonna get a retractable one but didn't realize how pricey they are so now i'm thinking about getting one with the 3 pieces. Any recommendations would be thankful
I have a soft roll up so you if you that route I highly recommend “brand- Access model-vanish “ low profile very nice and the locking mechanism is nice. Can open tailgate without touching cover

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar (Bakflip F1). I didn't spray liner my bed, used a Dee Zee bed mat and Weathertech tailgate cover. The Weathertech cover has a strip that goes on at the top of the tailgate and creates a lip that fits well with the rubber stripping on the bed cover. I also added stake pocket covers in the rear to completely seal the bed. It doesn't leak a drop, even when pressure washing or through the car wash.
Another thing I like about it is you still have FULL access to the bed once you flip it back and use the prop rods to hold it up. Really nice design and well made. I had the dealer install prior to purchase. It's Mopar badged and they added a white T handle to the left side pull cord for something to grab to open the first tier.

Like mentioned before, this subject is very subjective and personal needs, taste, and budget will help you make your decision. Really no wrong answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

papac0rn

Reaction score
I think there are alot of great covers out here for our trucks. I also purchased the Lomax Trifold. I purchased it mainly because a local dealer recommended it. I think I paid around $900 installed. On my previous F150's I really liked the Diamondback covers. I had their regular cover and picked up a discounted HD version. If your not pulling it off often they are a great cover. When I washed my truck I would litterally walk across the top of the cover to get the truck roof. Just a nice, tough cover. The downside is it was heavy and that makes it somewhat difficult to remove and reinstall. It was almost double the price of the Lomax, too. If it wasn't double the price I would have purchased another Diamondback. I will say the Lomax has done all I've needed and its real easy to remove. Good luck on your choices.:)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Check warranty's time frame. Bak Revolver x4 is 5 years, many only 3. Bak Flip 4 is a 3 yr warranty, ultra flex is 5.
Also be aware of replacement parts. They may not be available and the whole cover has to be replaced. My Extang Black Max (snaps) has a lifetime frame and 10 year cover and I can replace just the cover. My 2001 Black Max is on the 2nd cover and the first lasted 10 years with 24 / 7 outdoor storage. I installed the Black Max on my 2019 as an interim measure and I am leaning towards the Bak revolver X4 do to ease of roll up, rear window view with full bed access, 5 yr warranty and it's locking ability. It can have issues in winter is a con and the complete cover has to be replaced. I also like the Extang Exceed which came out in April 2019 and believe it is an updated BakFlip V2. It has a continuous look on top and the cover can be maintained with Extang tono tonic or 303 (pro and a con ), however it blocks your rear window view and is only a 3 yr warranty. Both, Extang and Bak are products of Truck Hero.
Wish you the best of luck deciding. Many brands, designs and variables in the decision.

Do you get what you like or get what you need?

UPDATE Jan. 29, 2020
Ended up purchasing a DiamondBack HD, like the idea of 1600 lbs. on top and the security.
Extang Exceed went to a 5 year warranty and the the X4 has release clips that stick into the end of the bed near the tailgate. That seemed to be an accident waiting to happen for me. I liked the Sentry CT but not their 3 year warranty. Truck Hero owns most of the manufacturers.

Last edited:

RamLink83

Reaction score
I have an Access Original Rollup on my past 3 trucks. Never had a problem and super easy to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_121114.jpg
    IMG_20200111_121114.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 123

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Mopar (Bakflip F1). I didn't spray liner my bed, used a Dee Zee bed mat and Weathertech tailgate cover. The Weathertech cover has a strip that goes on at the top of the tailgate and creates a lip that fits well with the rubber stripping on the bed cover. I also added stake pocket covers in the rear to completely seal the bed. It doesn't leak a drop, even when pressure washing or through the car wash.
Another thing I like about it is you still have FULL access to the bed once you flip it back and use the prop rods to hold it up. Really nice design and well made. I had the dealer install prior to purchase. It's Mopar badged and they added a white T handle to the left side pull cord for something to grab to open the first tier.

Like mentioned before, this subject is very subjective and personal needs, taste, and budget will help you make your decision. Really no wrong answer.
I have almost the exact same setup, but I haven't gotten the Weathertech tailgate cover yet. I'm gonna...just haven't gotten around to it yet. Also my Bakflip is the G2 without the Mopar badge or t-handle, but the G2 looks almost identical to the F1, though the F1 is heavier duty. I also have the Dee Zee bed mat.

IMG_1038.jpg
IMG-1078.JPG
IMG-1080.JPG
IMG-1081.JPG

Last edited:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed my Ultra Flex and couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• FF6E155B-2406-461E-8D26-20351C2E5C00.jpeg
    FF6E155B-2406-461E-8D26-20351C2E5C00.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 70219F57-F5DC-4FD2-93A6-8DEB78DE60F3.jpeg
    70219F57-F5DC-4FD2-93A6-8DEB78DE60F3.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 157

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Just installed my Ultra Flex and couldn’t be happier.
Looks very nice. Did it come with the built in lights and the saddle bag? The Bakflip doesn't have either of those, but I got it for $850 so $139 less than the Ultra Flex. Is the aluminum finish prone to showing scratches or dents? I love the looks but that would be my biggest fear.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It came with the LED light that slides into the rail but no saddle bags. It was $989 but had a $100 rebate. Not sure about scratches or dents yet since I just installed. One of the employees from the place I bought mine at has the same cover for over a year and he has no scratches or dents.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
It came with the LED light that slides into the rail but no saddle bags. It was $989 but had a $100 rebate. Not sure about scratches or dents yet since I just installed. One of the employees from the place I bought mine at has the same cover for over a year and he has no scratches or dents.
Looks like you got a good deal. Hope it gives you years of trouble free service and remains scratch and dent free. Really like that LED light since my truck didn't come with the bed lights.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I went with the Undercover Ultraflex. It has a 5 year warranty and came with an led bed light. It was close to $200 off from truckalterations.com. Just call them say you're on this forum for a good price. 20200205_173220.jpg 20200205_173238.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online