5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau cover issues w/Rambox and BUG help!

Chaser

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Bought a line-x trifold (bakflip MX4) and went to have it installed today. They say they can’t do it bc of the rail system on my truck. It came with the mopar soft tonneau cover and the new cover won’t fit into the railing system that came with the soft cover.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Bought a line-x trifold (bakflip MX4) and went to have it installed today. They say they can’t do it bc of the rail system on my truck. It came with the mopar soft tonneau cover (which absolutely sucks) and the new cover won’t fit into the railing system that came with the soft cover.

Any ideas?

Search for this as some members had rails that the original MX4 rails wouldn't slide into. Mine slid in as designed and installed perfectly but others had to get the new MX4 rail system to be able to install it.

Chaser

Reaction score
Search for this as some members had rails that the original MX4 rails wouldn't slide into. Mine slid in as designed and installed perfectly but others had to get the new MX4 rail system to be able to install it.

Thanks for the reply. I did a quick search while I was at the store but couldn’t find anything discussing this. What’s strange is it looks like the railing system and the BUG is one piece. So if I get the MX4 rails, i lose the BUG.

Chaser

Reaction score
Here’s a picture. The left picture is the normal one, mine is on the right.

Attachments

• E429A955-D864-488F-8E79-542E42DCB208.jpeg
    E429A955-D864-488F-8E79-542E42DCB208.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 257

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Bought a line-x trifold (bakflip MX4) and went to have it installed today. They say they can’t do it bc of the rail system on my truck. It came with the mopar soft tonneau cover (which absolutely sucks) and the new cover won’t fit into the railing system that came with the soft cover.

Any ideas?
I'm not sure why it doesn't fit. The rails on the 2019 Ram with Rambox and BUG is the same that's on the Gen 4 Rams. I installed my Retrax Pro bed cover from my 2018 Ram on my 2019 Ram 1500. I know the Retrax Pro is a bit more money but it might be worth something to consider.

Chaser

Reaction score
Called Bakflip. Looks like Mopar has 2 different rail systems. One is black and one is silver. The black one fits the soft MOPAR cover. The silver one fits all the other covers.

Lucmac

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Bought a line-x trifold (bakflip MX4) and went to have it installed today. They say they can’t do it bc of the rail system on my truck. It came with the mopar soft tonneau cover and the new cover won’t fit into the railing system that came with the soft cover.

Any ideas?

What’s the website you bought from or to the store you bought at?

Chaser

Reaction score
My rails are black. They are the ‘factory tonneau cover’ rails. Have some silver rails on order but have no idea when they'll get here.

lanman1

Reaction score
SO if the truck shipped with the black rails, then the aftermarket covers won't fit. I've never tried to install one with the black rails but they may be modifiable to work. If you want to order the silver rails, these are the Mopar part numbers.

68027048AD
68027049AD

lanman1

Reaction score
Oh, and the Rambox rails are not the same as the BUG rails. the Rambox rails are called 'Cargo Rails'.

Hope this helps

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My rails are black. They are the ‘factory tonneau cover’ rails. Have some silver rails on order but have no idea when they'll get here.

Yep, you got it. You need the silver rails for that cover. I have the LineX branded Mx4 myself, but my rails are silver.

Chaser

Reaction score
Yep, you got it. You need the silver rails for that cover. I have the LineX branded Mx4 myself, but my rails are silver.

My question is will any of the silver rails fit? Saw some on eBay that say 2010-2018 but they are the same mopar # as the ones i ordered from moparonlineparts.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My question is will any of the silver rails fit? Saw some on eBay that say 2010-2018 but they are the same mopar # as the ones i ordered from moparonlineparts.

Can't help you there. My truck came with the silver rails to begin with so I didn't have to order any.

pinkerton

Reaction score
There are many discussions on this forum regarding these covers and the two different rail types. I believe BAK has rails to fit either the black or silver rails - and thought the silver just came on later builds. Mine has silver and the rails that they sent me (that were correct for silver) did not fit, so they sent me a modified rail, which has a mount that I thought would work with any rail. See the photo. It may be hard to see but it has a tab that slides and then tightens from the top.

Attachments

• file-34.jpeg
    file-34.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 101

Pritch

Reaction score
I have a set of silver rails that I had to take off to install my Roll-N-Lock. Was getting ready to post in the classified section.

Hanmore

Reaction score
I bought the factory soft cover with my truck. Did not like it (to many issues) so I bought the retrax RBL roll up .
Unfortunately I have the black rails and it will not fit. Dealer told me only the silver rails will work.
Silver rails are on order. Turning out to be an expensive change over.

Users who are viewing this thread