5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Tow Package or not.....

Jstadick

Reaction score
The only redeeming thing I've seen in the tow package that I wish I had was the centerline on the backup screen. I had this in my 150 and would really like Ram to give us an on/off option for it in a software update.

I'll start holding my breath now...:sneaky:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Max tow is only quad cab 6'4 bed 2wd with 5.7 etorque and the Dana Super 60 rear axle with 3.92 gears.

Max payload is quad cab 6'4 with the V6.

Just for reference. And I believe they are tradesman trim...but it may include bighorn/lonestar.
Thanks for the clarification. I used the term Max Tow loosely. It all depends on how many options the truck is carrying. Extra weight means lower rating. For each trim and option level, Max Tow for that configuration is achieved with the 3.92 axle which can be ordered along with a brake controller. No tow package necessary.

Tow and cargo hauling capacities are a complicated subject! :geek::oops:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only redeeming thing I've seen in the tow package that I wish I had was the centerline on the backup screen. I had this in my 150 and would really like Ram to give us an on/off option for it in a software update.

I'll start holding my breath now...:sneaky:
Funny...on my Grand Cherokee, the first thing I'd do is turn off the guidance lines before backing up to my cargo trailer. The dang center line blocked the view of the ball and tounge. The center line is too thick. Needed to be thin and see-through. Haven't seen the Rams Tow Package center line.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used the term Max Tow loosely.
I understood what youmeant, and you are exactly right.

Just didn't want someone saying, well they said it was max tow and when the numbers don't jive, they lose their mind.

I still do not understand why this happened.

I didn't realize until I started this research that the mirrors people want where already available, so the thought of waiting on the HD has no bearing...

This seems to be a very big blunder.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
Tow mirrors would be a complete hard stop for me.

I love the surround camera feature and the mirror tilt when in reverse makes life ALOT easier getting into smaller spaces.
I have the tow mirrors on my limited and they tilt when reversing also. I think it was something I had to setup in the menu.

antwon412

Reaction score
How do you order just the trailer brake without the mirrors?

antwon412

Reaction score
Yeah I see that now. It didn’t show as an option until I removed the trailer tow package. Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I see that now. It didn’t show as an option until I removed the trailer tow package. Thanks!
If you care about features such as power folding and support for the surround view camera system, skipping the tow mirrors is the best options decision you can make on these trucks. Many early buyers found this out the hard way, as discussed on earlier threads, due to a lack of clear communication from Ram.

RamSco

Reaction score
I was one of those surprised that the tow mirrors did not have power fold. But honestly, I’ve had a lot of trucks that did not have this feature and only one that did not have adequate tow mirrors. The former I did not miss one bit but the latter I changed ASAP. I still do not miss auto fold... the occasional manual fold option will outlast this truck :)

raven_DT

Reaction score
Love my tow mirrors, can you ever have mirrors too large when towing??? BTW my mirrors stay down when not towing...

Users who are viewing this thread