5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Tow Package or not.....

YardSale

Reaction score
As noted elsewhere on these boards there's this Tow Package debacle going on. Myself and numerous other members who ordered the Tow Package have cancelled and reordered our trucks when it became known that the tow package (with tow mirrors) eliminated the power folding mirrors and surround view options. Now that I've done this a few questions come to mind......... does "trailer detection" only work with the tow mirrors? If you opt out of the tow package (and get "regular" mirrors) I'm guessing that adding after market tow mirrors will interfere with the 360 surround view and the lane sense features..........DAMN.....this is a mess........

Flot

Reaction score
Trailer detection works with the regular mirrors.

The regular mirrors on the Rams have always been a decent sized and do stick out pretty far from the truck. I'm frankly surprised that the tow mirrors even exist.

It seems reasonable to assume that a year or two out they may offer the tow mirrors with the safety features - but who knows how much they'd cost to swap.

YardSale

Reaction score

The regular mirrors on the Rams have always been a decent sized and do stick out pretty far from the truck. I'm frankly surprised that the tow mirrors even exist.

It seems reasonable to assume that a year or two out they may offer the tow mirrors with the safety features - but who knows how much they'd cost to swap.
That's good to hear! Primary purpose of me getting this truck is to be able to tow a camper trailer...........at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL!

ryelinek

Reaction score
Tow mirrors would be a complete hard stop for me.

I love the surround camera feature and the mirror tilt when in reverse makes life ALOT easier getting into smaller spaces.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
As noted elsewhere on these boards there's this Tow Package debacle going on. Myself and numerous other members who ordered the Tow Package have cancelled and reordered our trucks when it became known that the tow package (with tow mirrors) eliminated the power folding mirrors and surround view options. Now that I've done this a few questions come to mind......... does "trailer detection" only work with the tow mirrors? If you opt out of the tow package (and get "regular" mirrors) I'm guessing that adding after market tow mirrors will interfere with the 360 surround view and the lane sense features..........DAMN.....this is a mess........

ironically -just before you posted this i checked the "build and price" on both the USA site and the CANADIAN site about this issue. (thinking they surely must have made it more evident about the deletion of the 360 degree camera with the trailer mirrors) while the USA site-when selecting the safety group -does notify you that this happens, still might be missed as one continueS the "build" process. while in the CANADIAN site is even less evident. you would need to select "the safety group" , realize there were 7 features, than select"trailer group", then re-select back to "the safety group" and realize there are now only 6 features and a credit of $200. it does delete the 360 degree camera - but i can only imagine how long this will continue. better 1) pay close attention 2)have a great dealership that knows this or 3) read the correct forums. (p.s. there is another form that a member has posted - "you need the big mirrors for the camera option") o_OWHICH IS EXACTLY OPPOSITE!!!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from an F150, the Rams standard mirrors offer way more side viewing than the F150 standards mirrors. They also have a build in blind spot mirror built into them - which you lose on the F150 when you add Blind Spot Monitoring.

YardSale

Reaction score
Coming from an F150, the Rams standard mirrors offer way more side viewing than the F150 standards mirrors. They also have a build in blind spot mirror built into them - which you lose on the F150 when you add Blind Spot Monitoring.
That's awesome to hear, thanks!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ironically -just before you posted this i checked the "build and price" on both the USA site and the CANADIAN site about this issue. (thinking they surely must have made it more evident about the deletion of the 360 degree camera with the trailer mirrors) while the USA site-when selecting the safety group -does notify you that this happens, still might be missed as one continueS the "build" process. while in the CANADIAN site is even less evident. you would need to select "the safety group" , realize there were 7 features, than select"trailer group", then re-select back to "the safety group" and realize there are now only 6 features and a credit of $200. it does delete the 360 degree camera - but i can only imagine how long this will continue. better 1) pay close attention 2)have a great dealership that knows this or 3) read the correct forums. (p.s. there is another form that a member has posted - "you need the big mirrors for the camera option") o_OWHICH IS EXACTLY OPPOSITE!!!
Early on the US build site didn’t even show this. I believe it changed sometime the beginning of May.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Yes, I wish they never even offered tow mirrors on the ‘19 1500!(y)
Would have saved a lot of headache!

just to add to the thread. up here in western canada i have 2 dealers. first one has 13 -2019 rams on the lot. all 13 have standard side mirrors. (not trailer tow mirrors) the other dealer has 5 -2019 rams on the lot. 2 with tailer tow mirrors. one of the 2019 rams (with the trailer tow mirrors)was parked next to a 2018 ram(with tailer tow mirrors), i couldn't check part numbers but after looking up/down and under- i'm 99 % sure they are the same. maybe clearing out old stock? newer ones coming?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just to add to the thread. up here in western canada i have 2 dealers. first one has 13 -2019 rams on the lot. all 13 have standard side mirrors. (not trailer tow mirrors) the other dealer has 5 -2019 rams on the lot. 2 with tailer tow mirrors. one of the 2019 rams (with the trailer tow mirrors)was parked next to a 2018 ram(with tailer tow mirrors), i couldn't check part numbers but after looking up/down and under- i'm 99 % sure they are the same. maybe clearing out old stock? newer ones coming?
Probably so, to me, they look like the same tow mirrors that are on my 2010 3500 diesel!

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
That was the biggist hang up for me, allot of dealers orderd the tow mirrors, and seemingly unaware you lose the power fold option for $300, not much of an upgrade in my book. And I felt the tow mirrors were goofy how the blind spot mirror was oriented in the down position. As for the 3D suround camera option I dont know much about that. Needless to say I have the power fold mirrors and love them.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
For anyone trying to decide, I had the salesman helping me measure the length of the standard mirrors on the Limited to the tow mirrors. From the door to the edge of the mirror:

Regular mirror: 15.5"
Tow mirrors: 16.75" (I assume in horizontal not vertical position)

So only 1.25" of additional reach with the tow mirrors horizontal. I'll measure tomorrow if I can to see how long the tow mirrors are flipped out, as I'm betting they gain a little reach.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Update

Regular mirror: 15.5"
Tow mirrors: 16.75" (horizontal position)
Tow mirrors: 20.25" (vertical)

Measured from door to outside edge of mirror.

elguapo503

Reaction score
Are there any mechanical differences when selecting the tow package? I don't see any verbiage saying so but recall some trucks get added transmission cooling and maybe full size spares and such. If not, then it looks like I will be cancelling the tow package and just adding a trailer brake controller on my Laramie.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are there any mechanical differences when selecting the tow package? I don't see any verbiage saying so but recall some trucks get added transmission cooling and maybe full size spares and such. If not, then it looks like I will be cancelling the tow package and just adding a trailer brake controller on my Laramie.

Your can order the trailer brake controller separately without getting the tow package.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.92 Axle and Brake controller optiins are all you need for max tow capacity. I don't believe they add a transmission cooler or latger radiator with the Towing Package.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much unless you order the tradesman or bighorn/lonestar it doesn't add anything but the mirrors,and trailer brake controller. On the two trims I mentioned it also adds the class IV receiver as they come standard with a Class III.

Most people don't want the tow mirrors on the higher trims as it loses power fold and 360 view.

Adding the trailer brake controller to the higher trims seem to be what most have done.

Max tow is only quad cab 6'4 bed 2wd with 5.7 etorque and the Dana Super 60 rear axle with 3.92 gears.

Max payload is quad cab 6'4 with the V6.

Just for reference. And I believe they are tradesman trim...but it may include bighorn/lonestar.

Mike67

Reaction score
I

I had same question as op, so I went to dealer and checked that they both had the option in the setup screen and they do for trailer tow distance setting, auto or manual.
The salesman didnt know, so I checked it for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread