5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Mud Flap or Not

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just got my limited yesterday. I live in Canada and we get a lot of snow/salt in the winter. I'm wondering if mud flaps are worth it. I like the sleek look without them but I want the protection.

I've read a bunch of threads and the common choice seems to be weathertechs. Can you guys post more pictures from a side view and further back. There's lots of close up photos but not many from a distance.

Thanks for the help.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine aren’t the best pictures but these are the only 2 I have of my truck on my phone. Weathertechs installed. They do a great job and blend right in.

Attachments

• F1DD15E3-9C35-4E81-8A82-06C738FBD4CB.jpeg
    F1DD15E3-9C35-4E81-8A82-06C738FBD4CB.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 321
  • F213806F-17D9-4A8E-A0FA-4D2F3EA51BC6.jpeg
    F213806F-17D9-4A8E-A0FA-4D2F3EA51BC6.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 314

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Mopar ones. I like them. I modified them a bit by securing them to the underside trim using a screw, then drilled another hole to let out any water that builds up in the void that they have (not sure why they did that. There are a couple of threads that discuss the weather tech vs Mopar with pics etc. You should go check that thread.

I personally think have side steps/running boards offers a lot more protection for these trucks than the mud flaps.

ramhead

Reaction score
I went with the Husky liners - Reasons:

1) I got them (all 4) for $33 as an Amazon "like new" warehouse deal (they came in perfect shape still wrapped in the plastic bags & sealed parts bags with slight damage to the box) - The WT's are nice... the Husky's vs those are almost exactly the same as far as cutouts/attachment but the Huskys don't have molded edge midway across the back of flap like the WT's which didn't appeal to me. Plus, the Huskys being almost 3 times cheaper with the deal I got made it a no brainer.

2) They come with the 3M paint protection film that goes on under the flap edge to protect fender paint - and if you search around here you will see the damage left by the OEM mud guards when removed....the paint underneath is all scratched and worn down in some cases to the primer. Also, the OEM mud guards don't just ride slightly along the edge (like the Husky/WT's do) but extend a good 1.5" over the fender paint.

3) There was no drilling/riveting like with the Mopar ones.....you can though drill an optional hole on the inner side of mud guard to use an included screw/bracket to secure it thru the plastic fender liner for added strength (I did).

4) They don't have "pockets" (neither do the WTs) to allow salt, sand, dirt, rocks to collect there....even with drilling a small drain hole as stated above will not work long term....mud, sand, etc will still build up there and clog the hole - and even if the water drains out from that, it will still turn into a caked up block - had this happen on my old Ram with the OEM guards which also had pockets.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and photos. Those blend in pretty nicely.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just got my limited yesterday. I live in Canada and we get a lot of snow/salt in the winter. I'm wondering if mud flaps are worth it. I like the sleek look without them but I want the protection.

I've read a bunch of threads and the common choice seems to be weathertechs. Can you guys post more pictures from a side view and further back. There's lots of close up photos but not many from a distance.

Thanks for the help.
These are probably a little too close, but here you go.

freerider969

Reaction score

1) I got them (all 4) for $33 as an Amazon "like new" warehouse deal (they came in perfect shape still wrapped in the plastic bags & sealed parts bags with slight damage to the box) - The WT's are nice... the Husky's vs those are almost exactly the same as far as cutouts/attachment but the Huskys don't have molded edge midway across the back of flap like the WT's which didn't appeal to me. Plus, the Huskys being almost 3 times cheaper with the deal I got made it a no brainer.

2) They come with the 3M paint protection film that goes on under the flap edge to protect fender paint - and if you search around here you will see the damage left by the OEM mud guards when removed....the paint underneath is all scratched and worn down in some cases to the primer. Also, the OEM mud guards don't just ride slightly along the edge (like the Husky/WT's do) but extend a good 1.5" over the fender paint.

3) There was no drilling/riveting like with the Mopar ones.....you can though drill an optional hole on the inner side of mud guard to use an included screw/bracket to secure it thru the plastic fender liner for added strength (I did).

4) They don't have "pockets" (neither do the WTs) to allow salt, sand, dirt, rocks to collect there....even with drilling a small drain hole as stated above will not work long term....mud, sand, etc will still build up there and clog the hole - and even if the water drains out from that, it will still turn into a caked up block - had this happen on my old Ram with the OEM guards which also had pockets.
Hello, I am glad I saw your post I was tempted to get the WT but at $90 plus with shipping and tax... Do you have a picture with your husky mudflaps on.

mustard54

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help.
Definitely add the mud guards! I looked at both Weathertech and Husky and found such a great deal on the Husky through Amazon I went with them. The install was simple with supplied parts and even added the extra screws with ease. Either product is great, just based mine off price and budget. Will add pics this weekend.

freerider969

Reaction score
Definitely add the mud guards! I looked at both Weathertech and Husky and found such a great deal on the Husky through Amazon I went with them. The install was simple with supplied parts and even added the extra screws with ease. Either product is great, just based mine off price and budget. Will add pics this weekend.
Thanks for the comment, I am shopping for the huskies instead right now. I would like to have seen a picture of them on the truck but its ok.

freerider969

Reaction score
The best price I found on line was $80.99 which is the same price as weather tech, no real savings. I am going to see what else is out there.

mustard54

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment, I am shopping for the huskies instead right now. I would like to have seen a picture of them on the truck but its ok.
Ask and you shall receive!! Front and rear mud flaps

Attachments

• 06E3C0A3-20F9-4C28-B17B-6565B9A06F03.jpeg
    06E3C0A3-20F9-4C28-B17B-6565B9A06F03.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 244
  • C8DAAD63-1A83-4E54-9214-D7B74632F849.jpeg
    C8DAAD63-1A83-4E54-9214-D7B74632F849.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 2A159970-F05A-4491-94B6-459C0BF80DBD.jpeg
    2A159970-F05A-4491-94B6-459C0BF80DBD.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 263
  • E83C7C78-1B1D-463E-8B3C-2E023226F6EC.jpeg
    E83C7C78-1B1D-463E-8B3C-2E023226F6EC.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 259

freerider969

Reaction score
I checked on my amazon prime account and I paid $49.99 with free shipping for the Husky. That purchase was made in mid June.
I just checked on Amazon prime and it shows $80.95 plus tax, it must have been a discount deal. They still look really good and I will probably still go with them. I m checking out the gator backs too.

ramhead

Reaction score
I just checked on Amazon prime and it shows $80.95 plus tax, it must have been a discount deal. They still look really good and I will probably still go with them. I m checking out the gator backs too.

BETTER PRICE if you look under Amazon Warehouse deals....right now you can get Like New (which means New but opened - I ordered all four for $33 and they were brand new in an open box - says "packaging will be damaged" but that only means already open or ripped/torn ) at $52 (for either w/fender flares or no flares) - Price depends on what they have available....could last days or only hours but they had them when I just checked:

With flares:

Without:

Last edited:

freerider969

Reaction score
BETTER PRICE if you look under Amazon Warehouse deals....right now you can get Like New (which means New but opened - I ordered all four for $33 and they were brand new in an open box - says "packaging will be damaged" but that only means already open or ripped/torn ) at $52 (for either w/fender flares or no flares) - Price depends on what they have available....could last days or only hours but they had them when I just checked:

With flares:

Without:

Thanks for sharing that, I do see that with flares they are $52.55

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Excellent write up. Do you have any idea on which flaps are longer on the front?

Users who are viewing this thread