5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Mud Flap or Not

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody have more side profile pics of the huskys and weathertechs? Appreciate all the info so far. For $100 I may just throw them on and if I hate them I'll sell them.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have more side profile pics of the huskys and weathertechs? Appreciate all the info so far. For $100 I may just throw them on and if I hate them I'll sell them.

NDRam

Reaction score
I had WT's on my 2016 and lost the right front one. Twice. Filled with snow and mud in the winter. First install was mine, second was a local shop. Pretty sure going with the Husky this time around.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Definitely add the mud guards! I looked at both Weathertech and Husky and found such a great deal on the Husky through Amazon I went with them. The install was simple with supplied parts and even added the extra screws with ease. Either product is great, just based mine off price and budget. Will add pics this weekend.
Did you have to remove the front tires to be able to drill the holes? I cannot get a drill up in there. And if I need to remove the tires, I have to go borrow someone's floor jack. If anyone knows how to drill that extra hole without removing the tires, please let me know.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with dura flaps, have had them on my last 3 trucks. Lots of protection , easy to install.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you have to remove the front tires to be able to drill the holes? I cannot get a drill up in there. And if I need to remove the tires, I have to go borrow someone's floor jack. If anyone knows how to drill that extra hole without removing the tires, please let me know.

Did you end up removing the tire in order to drill the 1/8th hole for the optional screw? If that's the case, I may just end up using the supplied double sided tape.

After buying both sets of front mud flaps, one from Weathertech, the other from Husky, I decided to go with Husky. The WT have a slightly better and smoother finish than the Husky's but the Husky for me had a few more traits I preferred at least for my truck....

Husky over WT
- It's 1" longer, which I prefer to help stop more pebbles.
- I like the smoother rounder bottom shape, also matches better to my Rebel's dark grey fender flares.
- Less of the mud flap is touching the fender flare, less likely to scratch it up over time. It does some with clear film protectant (as does the WTs) in case you have body colored flares. But the Husky's have a slight gap and don't really make contact with the factory flares.

Last edited:

mustard54

Reaction score

No I turned the wheel to get the clearances I need to install the screws in the front and in the back I predrilled the wholes in the new flap and used the screw with a small screw gun and attached them to the rear flaps. The rear was a pain in the butt. But it was easier once I predrilled the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrbhokies

Reaction score
No I turned the wheel to get the clearances I need to install the screws in the front and in the back I predrilled the wholes in the new flap and used the screw with a small screw gun and attached them to the rear flaps. The rear was a pain in the butt. But it was easier once I predrilled the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip on the fronts. They really need the clip because the supplied double-sided tape was not strong enough to bond with the wheel well. In the rear though, it seems like they fit better and there wasn't much of a gap at the wheel well, so the tape was able to make decent contact. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the fronts. They really need the clip because the supplied double-sided tape was not strong enough to bond with the wheel well. In the rear though, it seems like they fit better and there wasn't much of a gap at the wheel well, so the tape was able to make decent contact. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

Not sure if you did yours let, but super easy even on the Rebel's large 33" tires in the way. When doing the driver's side, turn the wheel all the way to the left first. Remove the first 3 bolts, install the mud guard. Then turn the wheel full right. You will then have plenty of room to get a full size drill for that 4th screw install. I pre-drilled the flap first, which made it really easy to drill through the plastic liner and get that extra screw secured.

Make sure to use a socket driver instead of a socket wrench on the 3 fender screws. The torque required to tighten the bolt is very small, just hand tight until it just stops. Over torquing could mess with the fender trim.

Here is some close ups in case some of people still aren't sure how they will look, at least the front set which is all I installed.....

Good fit, not too much gap (unlike the earlier examples), but not too close that the flap will scratch up the flare, but it comes with protective film for those with painted flares.

Sits about 1" lower than the WT flaps, a bit more protection against debris.

Close up of mounting points. 3 existing screws/washers, and the 4th inside is the optional one. Highly recommend you install that, the 3M tape won't be able to keep it secure. Really easy to install, you won't need to take the wheel off to drill small hole for the screw.

I think it matches up well with the rest of the truck!

Last edited:

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Word to the wise: The weathertech flaps are sharp!. Had the truck in entry/exit height because I was working on the roof so less clearance to fit the brush under 33" tires. While cleaning the liners as normal with my weekly wash, I tore up my hand.

Users who are viewing this thread