5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Add Protection Film to the Front or Not?

doug55579

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum after purchasing my first Ram last week after being a Ford guy for a long time. I bought the black appearance Big Horn, and so far I love the truck. I was debating doing the paint protection film on the front bumper, grille and leading edge of the hood. My last F150 had it and it did hold up well, but is it really worth the money? I browsed the forums and found some info here and there with varying opinions but I could not find a thread dedicated to the PPF film specifically.

Creep0321

Reaction score
I have 2000 miles in 1.5 months and have few rock chips on the front bumper, already regretting no doing PPF
How’s the grill holding up? My installer wasn’t able to get the PPF to adhere well to the grill....

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish I did the front bumper/fascia. 5 months and 6000 miles and it looks like it got hit with buckshot. The worst I’ve ever seen. I expected some chips, but it’s ridiculous.

doug55579

Reaction score
I guess this settles the debate. Do you guys think it's an issue of poor quality control? I know that painted bumpers are more susceptible to chips but from the research that I've been doing the issue in the 5th gen seems to be the same across the with many people.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum after purchasing my first Ram last week after being a Ford guy for a long time. I bought the black appearance Big Horn, and so far I love the truck. I was debating doing the paint protection film on the front bumper, grille and leading edge of the hood. My last F150 had it and it did hold up well, but is it really worth the money? I browsed the forums and found some info here and there with varying opinions but I could not find a thread dedicated to the PPF film specifically.
Here's a partial list of threads on this forum:
"Just received a quote for XPEL & Ceramic Coatings. Is this a good deal? What did you pay?"
"Gas Door and Tailgate Vinyl Wrap (Paint Protection Film-PPF)"
"Vinyl Wrap"
"Paint Protection Film"
"Best locations for Paint Protection Film (PPF)?"
"DIY Paint Protection Film"
"Paint Protection Film & Tint - Price Check"
"Paint Protection"

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plenty of threads on this topic. My '16 F150 had the sport package with painted bumpers and I had it all wrapped. Two years and 60,000 miles later, truck looked great. Did chrome on the Ram, still got it wrapped (all but the chrome). 9+ months and its flawless - for the $$$ these trucks cost, wrap the front end.

From what I've seen, a better installer is more important than film quality. I've had the same guy do 3 of my pickups...all have turned out great.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
Heard the paint on the front bumper is very thin and chips easily, Would definitely want to go with PPF.

Truckin

Reaction score
I had scheduled to have PPF installed last week but did not like the 'pre-cut kits' the installer was using-I now have an appointment next Friday at the shop that did my tint. At less than two weeks old, she already has several small chips in the front bumper...I am going to have one of the paint touch up guys in town fill them in before having the film installed-at least the chips won't be white and should be far less visible.

Webbd30

Reaction score
Yes do the film save your self and your investment

Bay Area, California- 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, 5'7 Bed, Granite Chrystal, E locker, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle, Level 2 Equip Group, 12in NAV, Advanced Safety Group, Pano Sun Roof, Bed Utility Group, Air suspension, Off Road Group, 20X9 +1 Fuel wheels, 275/65R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Deployable bed step, 33 gallon tank, Ram Box, Trailer break control, Mopar Slush Mats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericd

Reaction score
This is my 3rd Ram, all with painted bumpers. (2 Longhorns & 1 Limited). The first one didn't have the PPF and like others have said, it looked like buckshot after a while. I did my 2nd longhorn in the first week and it was perfect. 80K miles and not a single chip. Same now on my Limited, put on from the start and no chips. I will add that I only do the lower sections under the grill. I've never had a single chip on the grill or hood in all 3 trucks so it may not be worth the extra money. And that's all highway driving.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
PPF is the BEST investment you can make on any vehicle...bar none! Well worth the expense IMPO...I do it to all off my cars and try to get it completed before I drive it off the lot or within days of purchase at the latest.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I've installed it in all my cars/trucks and it will worth the investment! Spend the money now to save money and stress later!!!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do it!

timmbos

Reaction score
I had PPF put on the entire front end including headlights, the entire hood, A-pillars, partial roof 6 inches back from the windshield. Had front windows tinted to match the factory rears. All in all about 1700 bucks. Very well worth it. I plan on keeping this truck hopefully for several years.

KRField

Reaction score
Mine has 31k, a lot of intestate and the bumper is atrocious! However, there is in small spot on the hood and the rest is good. I am thinking of getting the bumpers and a 3 inch strip of the rockers done in color match line-x. There is just too much on the bumper now to fill and level each chip. It would take a day just to fill all of them. Surprising though from 3 feet out it’s not really noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doug55579

Reaction score
My local shop quoted me 550 for the bumper and 850 for the bumper, fascia, grille, headlights and partial hood. They did my F150 in 2012 and it held up well. For the extra money, it seems worth it to do everything, but then again it seems the bumpers take the brunt and the facia and hood don't seem to get bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online