5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on actually price

Cost for 12" or nice options too much?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Understandable

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes, wish options were not grouped

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering, what peoples thoughts are on price. I understand, everyone makes different amounts of money, has different expenses. But, I am interested in how others feel, specially people who are going for a Laramie or above trim level. I'm early 30s, no kids or wife yet, and am receiving EP pricing, and still am
1f615.png
about the price I am spending.

What are you thoughts, specially for those going for the 12" screen, Longhorn and Limited.
Add in, come November, there will most likely be $2,500 in incentives, which is more lost money, if you are purchasing sooner.

Any, now hesitant to purchasing a Ram, with the price for a higher level or more optioned truck being so pricey?

chade014

Reaction score
mrmachaveli said:
Hello,

I am wondering, what peoples thoughts are on price. I understand, everyone makes different amounts of money, has different expenses. But, I am interested in how others feel, specially people who are going for a Laramie or above trim level. I'm early 30s, no kids or wife yet, and am receiving EP pricing, and still am
1f615.png
about the price I am spending.

What are you thoughts, specially for those going for the 12" screen, Longhorn and Limited.
Add in, come November, there will most likely be $2,500 in incentives, which is more lost money, if you are purchasing sooner.

Any, now hesitant to purchasing a Ram, with the price for a higher level or more optioned truck being so pricey?
I got a fully loaded limited coming in with EP pricing I am pretty happy with what I am getting. If you are spending the amount we are then $1-2k should not really effect your decision to wait another 6-8 months. Just pull the trigger and enjoy the truck. EP pricing should still save you $7k or so.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will be getting mine in November
icon_lol.gif
hopefully. Late availability of V6 Pentastar and Ramboxes. Production doesn't start until August for the Pentastar so 12-14 weeks for delivery will be in November time frame. My 2014 Outdoorsman will be 5 years old on Nov 12
1f609.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the pricing is fine. They are selling this truck at this point to people who are buying to have the first. They are trying to get the top line out and about. The classic will still be on sale so the price concious person will be buying that.

The 12" screen also has alot of other options that coincide with it that it has to have to operate. So you have to remember that it isn't just adding a lager radio. The things the 12" does has to have other things to make the programs work...if you can understand.

As the late availability rolls in, I am sure some things will be optioned differently and at a lower price.

warmachine

Reaction score
I got my Limited for $9k Canadian off sticker plus any rebates that are running when the truck is delivered

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
chade014 said:
I got a fully loaded limited coming in with EP pricing I am pretty happy with what I am getting. If you are spending the amount we are then $1-2k should not really effect your decision to wait another 6-8 months. Just pull the trigger and enjoy the truck. EP pricing should still save you $7k or so.
devildodge said:
I think the pricing is fine. They are selling this truck at this point to people who are buying to have the first. They are trying to get the top line out and about. The classic will still be on sale so the price concious person will be buying that.

The 12" screen also has alot of other options that coincide with it that it has to have to operate. So you have to remember that it isn't just adding a lager radio. The things the 12" does has to have other things to make the programs work...if you can understand.

As the late availability rolls in, I am sure some things will be optioned differently and at a lower price.
I agree with you both. It is just shocking the pricing increases on trucks, but the options you get are very nice. I'm certain in four years, people who did not get ACC will wish they had. But, it is incredible a 1500 Laramie 2019, costs the same as a 2500 Laramie 2018. I am surprised by the number of persons with EP pricing, maybe that is why we are going for the higher level, but I wonder about the ones who are not receiving 13-17 percent off.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
warmachine said:
I got my Limited for $9k Canadian off sticker plus any rebates that are running when the truck is delivered
Hope I can get close to that when I order my Rebel in August
1f44d.png

chade014

Reaction score
mrmachaveli said:
I wonder about the ones who are not receiving 13-17 percent off.
Dealers always make deals, I saw a post some other place a guy got 7k without anything.

D

Deleted member103

2019REBEL said:
I will be getting mine in November
icon_lol.gif
hopefully. Late availability of V6 Pentastar and Ramboxes. Production doesn't start until August for the Pentastar so 12-14 weeks for delivery will be in November time frame. My 2014 Outdoorsman will be 5 years old on Nov 12
1f609.png
That seems to be just about my plan too, though I have doubts the RamBoxes will be on the 76" bed / Quad Cab (my choice) in the Big Horn variety Off Roader . Staying Positive
1f44d.png

khoward2001

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the lease numbers to become available. My guess would be 3to 4k off MSRP(purchase) just like they did when they released the 2018. I'm expecting the residual value(for lease) to be mid 60% range similar to the 2019 Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee

D

Deleted member103

khoward2001 said:
I'm still waiting on the lease numbers to become available. My guess would be 3to 4k off MSRP(purchase) just like they did when they released the 2018. I'm expecting the residual value(for lease) to be mid 60% range similar to the 2019 Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee
I'm not a Leaser . I buy for the long term - that gives me time to build up the "cash reserves" again, not that I'm "hurting," guess I've always been"couscous" about spending - lessons learned the hard way watching my Mothers problems with credit !

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Remember, as the potential buyer, you have a significant amount of negotiating leverage. They have to sell cars to earn a living. You can easily walk away and go somewhere else. Negotiating has become something of a lost art. But you are not bound by MSRP, incentives, sticker prices, etc. They want to sell you a truck. You have the power to walk into a dealership and say, "You have two options. One option is, you can make a sale you would not otherwise make by sacrificing some margin. The other option is, you do not make a sale at all. Which would you prefer?" They have room to negotiate. Margins on trucks are healthy. They would rather sell a truck at less than optimal margin, make some money, move some product, than not make a sale at all and have a vehicle that could be sold, albeit for a suboptimal margin, sit on their lot. Just make sure your offer is reasonable and if they don't appear willing to negotiate on the price, then thank them for their time and head for the door. Be slow about it, and they will likely reach out to you before you make it outside.Last year, we sold two rental properties. One of which we had on the market for several weeks at one price with zero offers. We dropped the price $5,000 late on a Friday and had four full price offers by Monday. Any one of those potential buyers could have made us an offer weeks earlier for the same amount of money and we would have struck a deal. But no one offered anything under the asking price. Current generations of people who buy a lot of things online do not understand that negotiation used to be the way of it - for millenia. You always started by asking to sell something higher than you were willing to sell it because you expected a buyer to talk you down. You likewise always offered less than asking price because you expected the buyer to start higher than he was willing to close. Our other house involved a fair amount of negotiation (much to the consternation of our real estate agent who was getting impatient with us). But, it worked. We got a buyer to over pay for the property because of the location. We actually got a couple thousand more than we were expecting by starting well above our target price, waiting for someone to approach with an offer and negotiating back and forth.Anytime you have something to sell, it is not worth what someone says it should be worth on an internet site. It is worth what you can convince someone to pay for it - in your area, at the time you happen to be selling it. Often, that is far less than what you think it's worth. Vehicle sales are large purchases and dealers have to sell cars in order to run a business. They are always going to start with a high asking price. You can conceivably outperform an incentive program with some skillful negotiation. You have the power to determine if the sales person makes a deal on the truck you want or not. Do your research in advance. Know how much the asking price is for the various options. Scope out your perfect truck, then decide which features you can live without and try to get a price you are satisfied with for the options you want - knowing the dealer has to sell vehicles to run their business. The truth is - they need you more than you need them. You already have a vehicle and don't need a new one, don't need the expense of a new vehicle. You can save a lot of money buying a used vehicle. Let them know that if they are going to sell a car to you, to make a deal, they are going to have to wheel and deal. Make them earn your business. Then, when they have, reward them for it and steer other customers to them.

Flot

Reaction score
VoiceOfReason said:
Let them know that if they are going to sell a car to you, to make a deal, they are going to have to wheel and deal. Make them earn your business. Then, when they have, reward them for it and steer other customers to them.
While I understand where you are coming from, I’m sick of playing this game. (And I’ve bought a dozen or so cars/trucks in my lifetime). The industry needs to change, and as customers, we need to drive that change. I will negotiate on anything, but I’m not wasting hours of time at dealerships anymore.

I went to one of my local dealers who I bought my 2011 from at a great discount, who is more or less my best option out of 4 for service. That’s not saying they’re great, but they’ve screwed me the least over time.

I told him what I wanted and he honored my Tread Lightly / Supplier discount of 1% below invoice. They didn’t act like they were doing me a favor, but they didn’t offer a dime less and I watched all the normal shennanigans going on in the “back room” while the guy was trying to figure out how to quote the custom order. Including one sales guy reporting to his manager “she’s a single mom - no way she’s leaving here without a new car.” I still would have been happy to buy from him, for a competitive price, and frankly I was surprised they didn’t give me any hassle over the supplier code.

I then emailed one of the big online dealers who has done group buys of Jeeps in the past and they quoted me a price THOUSANDS of $ cheaper. No BS, no hassle, and my order was in 30 mins after I decided on what I wanted. I obviously haven’t finished the transaction so we’ll see how it goes once I pick up, but so far so good.

Reward the dealer who is going to give you a good price AND respect your time. Car buying doesn’t have to be the circus that we allow it to be.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
<woltlab-quote data-link="https://5thgenrams.com/community/forum/index.php?thread/222-thoughts-on-actually-price/&postID=1358#post1358" data-author="Flot">While I understand where you are coming from, I’m sick of playing this game.</woltlab-quote>I understand that, I don't enjoy it either. But I acknowledge it as a fact of life. Haggling to me is a tiresome process, but experience has shown, it can be effective.It is a business. Their purpose in life is not to spread smiles, but to earn a living. Opposing interests exist. Their interest is in convincing you to pay as much for a vehicle as possible. Your interest is in procuring a vehicle with as little expense as possible. Hence, negotiation ensues to determine how much the exchange will involve.You are battling the inevitable truth of selfish human nature.While it would be nice to reduce the argument to such simple terms, other factors are in play. The same dynamic is at work when you tip a waiter. The waiter's goal is to convince you to tip as much as possible while your goal is to spend as little as possible. The difference in dynamic is, now, you are likely the wealthier party. Are you generous with your earnings? People resent car dealers because the owners can be very wealthy people indeed and they don't need to be eking out thousands from people who are struggling. Yet, wait staff is struggling far more than most new car buyers, so there is a perspective in play in both situations. Not a perfect analogy, but you see where I'm going with it. Tipping isn't a negotiation, but the determination on amount is at some level arbitrary. There are guidelines, but you are in effect affecting a person's income directly through the transaction.I enjoy a wee bit of generosity, but since my funds are realistically limited, I discern upon whom I will enjoy expressing my benevolence. In general, if someone is better off than I am, there is little need for my generosity and if they are not as well off as I am, I enjoy helping them.To further complicate the scenario, there are multiple levels of wealth in play at a dealership. Owners, managers, sales associates, etc. are all at widely varying levels of prosperity. The sales associate is likely less well off than I am, the sales manager may be near my level and the senior staff and owner(s) are certainly above my level. I can't directly tip the associate (I can, but that is not the convention . . .). All things considered, for me, a new vehicle represents a significant expense (ok . . . the type of vehicle I choose to buy . . . is a huge investment for me). That introduces multiple facets as well. Buy choosing such an expensive model, I'm already doing the dealership a favor as the margins on high end hardware is indeed gainful. So I don't need to express any undue gratuity as I'm already extending myself with my choice of model. That being the case, when I go to make a purchase, I will be a bastard negotiator.But none of that matters because I get a discount anyway.
1f606.png

D

Deleted member103

(bold so I can see what I'm typing from 10 feet away)
I say, FL & VoiceOf Reason have some well expressed anxieties of Their Vehicle buying experiences . . . many of which I too share in !
Over my 47 years of this experience I've had several rises in blood pressure with hateful anxiety attacks among other less symptoms .
My Very last one, the 2016 purchase of my Laredo G.C. 75th, started out well with the sales associate, but it was when the sales Manager threw me into the Lions Den - Financial Dept. - that all hell broke loose ! Yea yea, it's his "job" to "make the company money / and himself a nice bonus in doing so," but not at MY expense ! NONE of His #'s jived with the #'s from my negotiations with Sales !
So I TOLD HIM SO and simply started to get up and leave, saying as I opened the "air tight door" - unless you get your #'s to match up with OUR #'s (meaning the sales guy who at that point was meeting me at this door) I'm out of here, have a nice day !
I was putting on "a show of sorts" making it clear to all in the show room of my DISPLEASURE of how this jerk Financial guy was trying to Set Me Up ! Final outcome ? Well, you all know I'm driving my 2016 G.C. and loving it & the price got back to MY price (to within 99 cents) ! Guess the Financial guy wasn't used to having to "Finagle" #'s in the Customers Favor too often !?   THAT Process Wasted 3+ hours of everyones time ! IF / when I return in September-ish to attempt my DT Order I will be avoiding THAT guy and IF I do buy from them I will insist NOT Dealing with that guy in Financials . Gosh glad we've had this little talk, apparently it's been bothering me all this time !?
1f604.png

263a.png
. I feel a lot better, suddenly, hmmm . . .
1f44d.png

john94si

Reaction score
Yes I am looking at a Limited build out at just under $61k.. My dealer does $5k off easy but i can get a new ford HD 2500 4x4 with leather for that price.. with a diesel.. I don't need the HD but i'd love to have a diesel long term.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Flot said:
While I understand where you are coming from, I’m sick of playing this game. (And I’ve bought a dozen or so cars/trucks in my lifetime). The industry needs to change, and as customers, we need to drive that change. I will negotiate on anything, but I’m not wasting hours of time at dealerships anymore.

I went to one of my local dealers who I bought my 2011 from at a great discount, who is more or less my best option out of 4 for service. That’s not saying they’re great, but they’ve screwed me the least over time.

I told him what I wanted and he honored my Tread Lightly / Supplier discount of 1% below invoice. They didn’t act like they were doing me a favor, but they didn’t offer a dime less and I watched all the normal shennanigans going on in the “back room” while the guy was trying to figure out how to quote the custom order. Including one sales guy reporting to his manager “she’s a single mom - no way she’s leaving here without a new car.” I still would have been happy to buy from him, for a competitive price, and frankly I was surprised they didn’t give me any hassle over the supplier code.

I then emailed one of the big online dealers who has done group buys of Jeeps in the past and they quoted me a price THOUSANDS of $ cheaper. No BS, no hassle, and my order was in 30 mins after I decided on what I wanted. I obviously haven’t finished the transaction so we’ll see how it goes once I pick up, but so far so good.

Reward the dealer who is going to give you a good price AND respect your time. Car buying doesn’t have to be the circus that we allow it to be.
can I get the on-line dealership name?

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Sorry to ask a dumb question but oh well here I go...is there any way to get EP pricing if you are not an employee?
Thanks

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
Sorry to ask a dumb question but oh well here I go...is there any way to get EP pricing if you are not an employee?
Thanks
Sure . . . date the bosses daughter . . . or son . . . I don't judge . . .
263a.png
1f604.png
1f606.png
. . .
1f914.png
?

sorry I'm in a funny mood it seems tonight

sgk

Reaction score
Thats not a dumb question but there is often EP and friend pricing. Another options is if you know someone that works there and there willing to give you there employee # some dealers are willing to work with that. Lastly negotiate the price down to that employee price.
Disclaimer* i have not worked / sold Chrysler in about 15 years so things may have changed but I believe there is a way. Personally I just ordered a 19 and i went with the negotiating route. approx. 7k CAD. off retail. probably not EP but I was happy with the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread