5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Those that have ordered or purchased a limited

Truckit

Reaction score
No problem ordering a Limited without air suspension in Canada after the 2019 model year. After owning 3 Limiteds with air suspension I have no idea why you order without. If you order the Off Road pkg the truck sits an inch higher.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No problem ordering a Limited without air suspension in Canada after the 2019 model year. After owning 3 Limiteds with air suspension I have no idea why you order without. If you order the Off Road pkg the truck sits an inch higher.
I believe you are mistaken. Looking at the Ram website for Canada, the Limited is the same as the as the one in the states. There is no option to de-select the air suspension, and the ORG does not "delete" the air suspension. It basically has the truck in Off Road 1 mode all the time (labeled as "normal"), and Off Road mode 2 is labeled Off Road mode 1.

There may a bit more to it than that, parts/suspension wise, but thats what it does in a nutshell; they still have the air suspension in all Limiteds.

Truckit

Reaction score
I believe you are mistaken. Looking at the Ram website for Canada, the Limited is the same as the as the one in the states. There is no option to de-select the air suspension, and the ORG does not "delete" the air suspension. It basically has the truck in Off Road 1 mode all the time (labeled as "normal"), and Off Road mode 2 is labeled Off Road mode 1.

There may a bit more to it than that, parts/suspension wise, but thats what it does in a nutshell; they still have the air suspension in all Limiteds.

Right in the mechanical section there is this option, DELETE 4-CORNER AIR SUSPENSION $-995.
You are correct that ORG doesn't delete air suspension but it is as simple as ticking a box to eliminate air suspension on a Limited. The local dealer has had them in inventory that way.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tested a Laramie and then a Limited back to back on the same appx 10 mile run. Some rough roads and “normal” pavement (nothing new or wonderful). I could tell the difference and that’s without even focusing on it. Wife stated that she liked the air ride yet also felt the coils only was fine too. I also like the auto leveling feature when hauling loads.

I’d only reject the 4 corner air if I lived in very cold environments as there is too much negative on the forums about how that system works (or fails to work) in those conditions. An example is from website “ramproblems.com”, here’s an excerpt:

Beginning of quoted portion below:
”Air suspensions are a wonderful upgrade in pickup trucks. When they work, that is. Unlike traditional shock absorbers and coil springs that compress under heavy loads, an air suspension uses four bags of compressed air that can be filled to keep the truck riding higher and more evenly. Even without extra weight, an air suspension has other advantages. Such as automatically adjusting the truck's height on the highway to increase fuel economy, or dropping down to a lower position when the truck is in park to make it easier to get in and out.

But those benefits come at the cost of complexity. Compressors, valves, solenoids, sensors, and electronic control modules all present a potential fail point. And yet, the most complex issue of all is figuring out how Ram can continue to sell this upgrade to owners in cold weather climates that can't use it for half the year...

Frozen condensation in the compressor, valves, and lines.​

These cold weather areas aren't cold all year round, and the extreme temperature swings will create extra condensation in the compressor and air lines of the system. As the temperature drops that moisture will freeze and restrict the flow of air or keep valves in a stuck position.

Road salt always causes problems and this case it's no exception.​

A longer term threat is the road salt used in cold weather areas. The salt can corrode fitting or air lines and cause leaks, but to be fair coil springs aren't a big fan of road salt either.

Here's the bottom line: If you live in an area where the temperatures routinely fall below freezing, talk to other owners. They'll probably tell you to not buy a Ram Truck with an air suspension system.

Design Changes in the 5th Generation Trucks?​

There's rumors that FCA made some changes to the air suspension system starting with the 5th generation trucks (2019+). It's possible they exchanged the nitrogen based system for something else.
It's too early to tell if those changes made a difference.”

End of copied portions of article.

So whether or not you believe that the 5th gen has addressed the earlier issues with cold weather failures of the air suspension, at least be warned that it has been a problem in the past. Not saying it is now but it may depend on where it is garaged. For me in central N Carolina it’s not an issue. Bismark ND or Ontario Canada RAM owners may believe differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Right in the mechanical section there is this option, DELETE 4-CORNER AIR SUSPENSION $-995.
You are correct that ORG doesn't delete air suspension but it is as simple as ticking a box to eliminate air suspension on a Limited. The local dealer has had them in inventory that way.
Being in Ontario you may likely appreciate the deletion...

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out!

HAL9001

Reaction score
I didn't want the air suspension either because I live in a cold climate and was concerned about long term reliability. However, I got a great deal on a Limited that I couldn't refuse. Now that I have the air suspension, I really like it and I'm thinking I might have made a mistake by not getting it.

Most RAMs have complex systems so there's no avoiding that if you want a RAM. You're covered for the first 3 years with the standard warranty and if you wish to keep the truck longer than that, I'd recommend an extended warranty, not just for the air suspension, but for all the complex RAM systems. I don't normally recommend people get extended warranties, but in this case, I think it might be a good idea.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yeah, I always am on the fence about the ext factory warranty. My last SUV had one, $1700 waste as it never got used. Now some people with the identical vehicle have saved themselves multi-thousands by using theirs. It’s a car by car/truck by truck gamble it seems. 🙄😬😦

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I always am on the fence about the ext factory warranty. My last SUV had one, $1700 waste as it never got used. Now some people with the identical vehicle have saved themselves multi-thousands by using theirs. It’s a car by car/truck by truck gamble it seems. 🙄😬😦
If you sold it before that mileage was reached. You should be able to get a refund for the prorated amount. That’s what I’m doing with our Ford. If you passed that mileage with no warranty issues, than yeah it’s kinda wasted but at least you didn’t have to use it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you sold it before that mileage was reached. You should be able to get a refund for the prorated amount. That’s what I’m doing with our Ford. If you passed that mileage with no warranty issues, than yeah it’s kinda wasted but at least you didn’t have to use it.
It ran out unused. It’s like avoiding a poke in the eye, best to not get one but if you don’t get one, you aren’t any better off than you already were, (just $1700 poorer...).

Since I’ve had zero, nada issues with our Ram and it’s already 2 years old, I’m rolling the proverbial dice and not getting an extended factory warranty. If I had any issues like some here have then I would have purchased a MaxCare before the 1 year mark.

We always run out of warranty time as opposed to mileage anyway. What can go wrong with the truck when it’s sitting in the garage 13 days out of every 14? 🙄🤔

Last edited by a moderator:

HAL9001

Reaction score
This is so true. Extended warranties are always a gamble. In fact, they're a lot like real gambling in that the house always wins. FCA has an actuary team figure out their total cost of repairs and then sets the price of the extended warranty to cover it all with a sizable profit. Given this fact, many people will lose money on them while others will do ok. Insurance companies use a similar strategy. This is a profitable business model.

traveller09

Reaction score
The main reason I went from a Laramie to a Limited was the comfort of the air suspension and the seats which were much more comfortable than my 2019 Laramie.

Did you notice a big difference in seats from a laramie to a limited? This weekend my wife and I looked at and drove three 1500's; a limited, a rebel and a laramie. All were the highest interior trim level. To be honest we couldnt tell a real difference in seats. My wife thought the laramie had a slight edge, I actually though the rebel was slightly more comfortable than the other two. I really dont think there was a difference though, I think it was all in our heads. The limited might have better quality leather but as far as comfort, we couldnt tell. Now I am not talking all the other interior items, just seats.

Last edited:

Bigtone

Reaction score
Did you notice a big difference in seats from a laramie to a limited? This weekend my wife and I looked at and drove three 1500's; a limited, a rebel and a laramie. All were the highest interior trim level. To be honest we couldnt tell a real difference in seats. My wife thought the laramie had a slight edge, i actually though the rebel was slightly more comfortable than the other two. I really dont think there was a difference thought, I think it was all in our heads. The limited might have better quality leather but as far as comfort, we couldnt tell. Now I am not talking all the other interior items, just seats.
There was a big difference. The 2021 Limited seats are much more comfortable than my 2019 Laramie seats. The leather is nicer on the Limited, perhaps the padding is better too. My wife notice an immediate difference in the 2019 Laramie seats compared to the 2014 that I traded in. The 2014 was more comfortable.

NWRogue

Reaction score
This is so true. Extended warranties are always a gamble. In fact, they're a lot like real gambling in that the house always wins. FCA has an actuary team figure out their total cost of repairs and then sets the price of the extended warranty to cover it all with a sizable profit. Given this fact, many people will lose money on them while others will do ok. Insurance companies use a similar strategy. This is a profitable business model.

100% guaranteed if they did not make money on extended warranties, they would not offer extended warranties. Having said that, I purchased 10yr 100k miles on my EcoDiesel and it will be traded in before that expires. Crossing my fingers I never have to use it.

Shockingram

Reaction score
Did you notice a big difference in seats from a laramie to a limited? This weekend my wife and I looked at and drove three 1500's; a limited, a rebel and a laramie. All were the highest interior trim level. To be honest we couldnt tell a real difference in seats. My wife thought the laramie had a slight edge, I actually though the rebel was slightly more comfortable than the other two. I really dont think there was a difference though, I think it was all in our heads. The limited might have better quality leather but as far as comfort, we couldnt tell. Now I am not talking all the other interior items, just seats.
There is absolutely a difference, the limited leather is incredible, but I can’t imagine if you bought the Laramie youd be disappointed as that is real nice too. The limited you get the better steering wheel and all around Interior stitching and trim too.

traveller09

Reaction score
There is absolutely a difference, the limited leather is incredible, but I can’t imagine if you bought the Laramie youd be disappointed as that is real nice too. The limited you get the better steering wheel and all around Interior stitching and trim too.
Thanks, agreed leather and trim are different in the limited. I was strictly talking comfort of seats, meaning foam, padding and such.

Users who are viewing this thread