5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching to RAM -objective opinions.

Quint

Reaction score
I fixed the 3rd brake light on my 2015. When I went to do it on my 2021 RAM, the weather-stripping looked exactly as I would want it to look. So without doing any work, I closed it up.

It's lasted half of a Minnesota winter and an entire Minnesota summer without any leaks.

Red Cat

Reaction score
I was planning on doing this before winter comes. How hard or what did you use to remove the oem strip off the light ? did you use plastic razor blade too ?

Gosh I kind of forget exactly what I did now but it was basically what wallyuwl said. I remember since the truck was so fresh the existing seal strip basically just peeled right off lol.

If you don't have any already pick up one of the plastic trim removal kits. I have a couple of tools that have a metal edge and they work great for popping up adhesive backed material. Then if you heat it up a little it will basically just peel right off.

brettguercio

Reaction score
First post here and I currently own a 2020 F-150 XLT but an considering switching to a 2021+ RAM 1500. I have a lot of questions and am hoping to get some objective opinions.

How is the RAM quality and dependability on the 2021 models? I have heard that the interiors on the RAM are pretty nice and many people like them over other brand trucks. I have also read some reviews on Edmunds and other sites and the RAM doesn't get great ratings though. I think it was Consumer Reports that was recommending as "do not buy". Many people are reporting electrical issues, braking, HVAC issues and other problems. It is hard to remain objective though as it is a lot like ratings and reviews on Ebay or Amazon and usually only those with issues bother to complain. My current Ford has a clunking noise in the rear that Ford, myself or anyone else can fix or do anything about. I am hoping Ford will offer to buy it back but IDK? I read an opinion on one non-truck forum to NOT but a 2021 RAm since it is the first year of that model and they were built like $hit becuse of Covid?

Is there any difference in build quality between the Big Horn, Laramie, and other models or are the only differences just options?

Are there any features or options on the RAM that I should absolutely consider or I will regret if I do not ( I do want the larger fuel tank)

How does RAM stand behind their warranty. Ford isn't too bad, but if they cannot fix something they will often just say it is normal and they will document it.

In my casual online searching I have noticed that the RAM is about 5K less than the Fords with the same features and trim. RAM must be stepping up to try and be competitive?

Thank you for any and all information.
Don't do it ! My 19 Laramie had issues & my 21 limited is having issues what makes it worse is chryslers service depts are horrible to deal with

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gosh I kind of forget exactly what I did now but it was basically what wallyuwl said. I remember since the truck was so fresh the existing seal strip basically just peeled right off lol.

If you don't have any already pick up one of the plastic trim removal kits. I have a couple of tools that have a metal edge and they work great for popping up adhesive backed material. Then if you heat it up a little it will basically just peel right off.
This reminded me...

I heated the glue up a little and it helped A LOT. I put it about a foot in front of a propane heater I had on in the garage (did it in winter), but hair dryer would work.

JP_Night18

Reaction score
I used a plastic trim removal tool I got from Crutchfield for car audio equipment. And goo gone. Tape off the holes in the light or glue residue can easily get inside and is not easy to get out.
thank you!

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a 15 2.7 eco f150 and a 19 ranger. Loved them both, but I like the ram even more. The interior is nicer and more comfortable to me. I love having the full time center console vs. the flip up. Lots of unique storage everywhere. Pulls my camper great, too. Lots of power when you need it, and good mileage when you keep your foot out of it. On the highway, I got 22-23 with the f150, 20 with the ranger, and 21-22 with the v8 in the ram (mds on). I don't think that's too shabby at all when you compare power and displacement. I do kinda wish I was able to test an ecodiesel before I bought this (haven't driven one), maybe I'll look at one in the future. But, for now, I'm extremely happy.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Came from a Silverado. I just crossed 15K on my 2020 Rebel with leather seats. Absolutely LOVE the ride and cabin in this truck. Not a fan of all of the safety features so stayed with Level 1 option group and no complaints. Only thing I wish I had was the MFT - I can see that being the most useful for how I use the truck. I just returned from a roundtrip NYS to NC and back. Truck handled perfectly, no issues (other than my radio was STUCK - that's a separate thread) and was even able to get up 20 MPG on the return trip. There would have to be serious price incentives and interior redesigns of the others to make me go back. I lease my vehicles so it is always an option.

imacreative

Reaction score
I just bought a new-to-me 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 late last month. I made the switch after coming from being a Ford truck buyer since 2000. I turned in my 2017 F150 4x4 Platinum with all the bells and whistles because I was tired of people stealing my tailgate (even with the tailgate lock), and easily breaking into the cab by simply punching the lock in.

I read the reviews for Ram and it seemed better than GMC or the Silverado (I test drove them for context). I decided on the Ram because I like the new body style, the comfort and aesthetics. I bought the truck that included a leveling kit and new 285/55/20 Nitto ridge grapplers and the drive is still smoother than my previous Ford.

the only downside I see so far is the fuel consumption, but maybe it’ll slightly improve.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Came from a Silverado. I just crossed 15K on my 2020 Rebel with leather seats. Absolutely LOVE the ride and cabin in this truck. Not a fan of all of the safety features so stayed with Level 1 option group and no complaints. Only thing I wish I had was the MFT - I can see that being the most useful for how I use the truck. I just returned from a roundtrip NYS to NC and back. Truck handled perfectly, no issues (other than my radio was STUCK - that's a separate thread) and was even able to get up 20 MPG on the return trip. There would have to be serious price incentives and interior redesigns of the others to make me go back. I lease my vehicles so it is always an option.
I've seen NYS posted before. Where is NYS?

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..... I read an opinion on one non-truck forum to NOT but a 2021 RAm since it is the first year of that model and they were built like $hit becuse of Covid?
Not the first model year, as already noted. Although that is typically sound advice even without covid. First model years are notoriously riddled with issues regardless of brand.
Is there any difference in build quality between the Big Horn, Laramie, and other models or are the only differences just options?
Build quality will be the same. The only difference will be the options, which may cause a perceived difference in how "nice" one is compared to the other.

How does RAM stand behind their warranty. Ford isn't too bad, but if they cannot fix something they will often just say it is normal and they will document it.
I've never had service issues, but I think this often comes down to the service department too. One of my Ford's had a door lock issue and after the fix it developed a squeak. I said something to them about it and they claimed it was normal, even though it didn't do it before the fix. I found a new dealership that resolved the issue with no fuss.

In my casual online searching I have noticed that the RAM is about 5K less than the Fords with the same features and trim. RAM must be stepping up to try and be competitive?
This has been fairly normal for quite a while now. The Ram seems to be just a bit cheaper for similarly equipped trucks and it's been that way for a while. And yes, probably a way to stay competitive since Ford does sell a ton of trucks.

I've owned all 3 of the "big three" trucks (Ford, Chevy and Dodge), so I'm not brand loyal. I'll buy whichever truck gets me the most bang for the buck.
When I was looking for my current truck I did look seriously at the Ford, but only a passing glance at the Silverado. The Chevy, although nice, was way more expensive than the other two.
I like the look of the Ford, but the interior (specifically the gauge cluster and radio) seemed more basic to me. I don't know why, if it's the color scheme, the screen resolution or what but the 12" display I have on my Ram seems to pop whereas the Ford's was just kinda there. It was nice, don't get me wrong, but something made it seem "cheap" by comparison.
That's the biggest differences that jumped out at me. Otherwise the interiors of both are similar quality if you're buying similar trim packages.

I don't think either area bad choice. I'd say quality is essentially the same. Over the years, the Fords I've owned have been no more, and no less, dependable than the Rams I've owned.

cjstewart

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4, 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gears. I have just under 5k miles on it. I'm not unhappy with the truck, but I probably won't keep it.

The interior is built well. Nothing rattles, very little wind noise, and when you push on various components and surfaces they feel durable and don't move. The interior is the best part of the truck. The LED headlights are great. The back seat is enormous for the kids and car seats.

The mileage is abysmal. I know it isn't a Prius, but its gets the worst mileage of every truck I've owned. Due to the recommended 89 octane fuel, the 5.7 Hemi costs more for fuel than a 6.0 gas Silverado 2500 I had. I haven't seen above 18 on the highway. My combined average is never over 14. I don't accelerate hard and I drive Ms. Daisy around town. I live in Arizona where the speed limit is 75 and its not uncommon to run 80 on the highways. I saw low to mid 20's in the MPGs on the highway with a F150 with the 3.5 and the Silverado with the 5.0. My combined average in the F150 was 18. The Ram drinks about 15 more gallons of fuel per month than my F150. In total, the Ram costs me about $55 more a month for fuel than my F150s and Silverados did (about $45 more if I used 87 octane, but I use the recommended 89 octane).

The Ram tows ok. The rear coils sag more than the F150s and Silverados I've had. The back end isn't as stable. If I keep it, I'll be adding stronger coils and a better sway bar. The F150 was definitely the best half-ton truck I've towed with. I have three trailers that I tow occasionally. I stay well under my weights and use quality distribution hitches with sway control. If I had to rank the F150, Silverado, and Ram for towing, they would be from best to worst in that order. I'm not saying the Ram doesn't tow, I just think overall its not as good as the competition.

I don't four wheel the Ram, but I'll drive dirt roads to trailheads. The front end bottoms out fast. The Ford won here, too. The suspension on the F150 felt like a capable truck. The Ram feels like I'm driving a car or crossover on poor condition roads.

The rear end on the Ram started making a grinding noise after 3k miles. Dealer added friction modifier and it fixed it. They said it was common for these trucks to come from the factory without enough friction modifier in the limited slip rear end. I'm not sure that was the issue or if the fluid is masking a different problem. My reason for this is there wasn't a problem until after I towed about 700 miles straight.

I think the Ram is the perfect truck for somebody who needs a car with a truck bed. It rides and handles like a car. It sits about the same height as crossovers and small SUVs. It definitely has a lot of creature comforts for the price. It will work fine for me if I decide to keep it. I bought it because of the good reviews, it works well for my family, I like the looks and interior quality, it's tow rating, and I wanted to try something different than Ford and Chevrolet. I don't regret buying the Ram, but it's not my favorite.

I'm probably going back to an F150 at some point. The F150 interiors are cheaper and they aren't as quiet as the Ram, but overall I like the F150 more than the Ram 1500. To me, the F150 is a truck and I miss that. Ram may have found a new market in crossover trucks with the 2019+ 1500. As for Chevy, I'll stay away until they stop letting descendants of Picasso design their vehicles.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I came from a Tundra. I really liked the interior/exterior, the ride. The Hemi is noticably more powerful than the Tundra. The things that are a little short with the Ram is #1 towing heavy tongue weights 800+lbs causes alot of squat, WDH helps, airlift bags help (1000HD's suck get the 5000's) but it squats more. Still tows like a dream and plenty of power to tow up long inclines, just the squat is annoying. #2 aftermarket junk, it's an okay selection but lags behind Ford, most likely because the 2019 was the first year then covid-19 stopped everything. But other than that it's been a great truck, and I'm glad I went with it. On a side note my buddy works at a truck upfitter and he said those Ford 3.5's are amazing but they never really run right, IDK he really couldn't explain it, so take it for what it is, they deal mostly with Turbo diesels and not turbo gasoline engines.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came from a Tundra. I really liked the interior/exterior, the ride. The Hemi is noticably more powerful than the Tundra. The things that are a little short with the Ram is #1 towing heavy tongue weights 800+lbs causes alot of squat, WDH helps, airlift bags help (1000HD's suck get the 5000's) but it squats more. Still tows like a dream and plenty of power to tow up long inclines, just the squat is annoying. #2 aftermarket junk, it's an okay selection but lags behind Ford, most likely because the 2019 was the first year then covid-19 stopped everything. But other than that it's been a great truck, and I'm glad I went with it. On a side note my buddy works at a truck upfitter and he said those Ford 3.5's are amazing but they never really run right, IDK he really couldn't explain it, so take it for what it is, they deal mostly with Turbo diesels and not turbo gasoline engines.
Usually that means someone is talking out of their *** 🤣

Goldsy

Reaction score
I'm a new owner as well, 2 weeks today actually. I came from a 2018 Nissan Titan. Love the Titan, love how it looks, love how it handled, loved how it drove, loved how quiet it was inside the cabin, and it had the most comfortable seats in a vehicle I ever sat in.

That said, Two sets of tow hooks had to be replaced because they kept rusting. Front bumper had to be repainted because it was installed off center from the factory and the top lip of the bumper was rubbing on the fender liner, wore the paint off and it started to rust. Had the bushings in the tailgate hinge replaced three times because they kept wearing out and I would have some play in the tailgate. Then I got the dreaded Titan Engine knock and had to have the engine replaced. All this with less than 15000 miles on it. That was enough for me. Traded in in for a 2021 Ram Limited. Happy with it so far.

Consumer reports and the "Motor Trend Truck of the year" three years in a row are the two things that got me looking at the Ram. Test drove it and loved it. The Titan seats are more comfortable, and it's quieter in the cabin, but the Ram has it beat in every other aspect so far.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
"Motor Trend Truck of the year" three years in a row
This is misleading, but people say that all the time. The Ram 1500 was Motor Trend Magazine's truck of the year for only one year (2019). For 2020 it was the HD, and for 2021 it was the TRX. While officially a 1500, the TRX is it's own animal. Other 1500 models were excluded for 2021.

Goldsy

Reaction score
This is misleading, but people say that all the time. The Ram 1500 was Motor Trend Magazine's truck of the year for only one year (2019). For 2020 it was the HD, and for 2021 it was the TRX. While officially a 1500, the TRX is it's own animal. Other 1500 models were excluded for 2021.
I wouldn't exactly say it's misleading. I know it was three different truck models that won the three years in a row, but it tells me that Ram is doing something right overall. Yes, the TRX is definitely its own animal.

Users who are viewing this thread