5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching to RAM -objective opinions.

DesertRat

Reaction score
First post here and I currently own a 2020 F-150 XLT but an considering switching to a 2021+ RAM 1500. I have a lot of questions and am hoping to get some objective opinions.

How is the RAM quality and dependability on the 2021 models? I have heard that the interiors on the RAM are pretty nice and many people like them over other brand trucks. I have also read some reviews on Edmunds and other sites and the RAM doesn't get great ratings though. I think it was Consumer Reports that was recommending as "do not buy". Many people are reporting electrical issues, braking, HVAC issues and other problems. It is hard to remain objective though as it is a lot like ratings and reviews on Ebay or Amazon and usually only those with issues bother to complain. My current Ford has a clunking noise in the rear that Ford, myself or anyone else can fix or do anything about. I am hoping Ford will offer to buy it back but IDK? I read an opinion on one non-truck forum to NOT but a 2021 RAm since it is the first year of that model and they were built like $hit becuse of Covid?

Is there any difference in build quality between the Big Horn, Laramie, and other models or are the only differences just options?

Are there any features or options on the RAM that I should absolutely consider or I will regret if I do not ( I do want the larger fuel tank)

How does RAM stand behind their warranty. Ford isn't too bad, but if they cannot fix something they will often just say it is normal and they will document it.

In my casual online searching I have noticed that the RAM is about 5K less than the Fords with the same features and trim. RAM must be stepping up to try and be competitive?

Thank you for any and all information.

rylock21

Reaction score
I can say as a fairly new owner, only got my truck about a month ago and coming from a Tacoma, the Ram is lightyears ahead of that thing in terms of interior quality, ride, etc. I only have the Big Horn but can tell you even that interior is very nice and the cloth seats are easily the best I’ve seen. If you want more of a luxury interior, the Laramie I think is the way to go without opting for the $60k+ Limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First of all, 2019 was the first model year for this redesign, not 2021. I'm on my second 5th gen Ram 1500, and my wife drives one too. We haven't experienced any problems with these trucks other than the rambox lid misalignment issue. For us it's worth the slight visual imperfection because they are so useful for us. Not everyone agrees. And most of these trucks are built without the rambox option.

Some of the actual more common issues are mostly with the 2019 and early 2020 models. Things like cracked rear window surround and AC not cold enough. My daughter had the cracked rear window surround issue, which was allowing water to get into the cab. But had no issues getting it replaced under warranty.

There is not a quality difference between models per se, but logically the more bells and whistles a truck has, the higher the chance there will be an issue. Having said that I bought about the most highly optioned Limited I could get. :D

Red Cat

Reaction score
I have not owned a DT Ram (currently have one on order) but did own 2 4th gen Rams. I switched over from GM trucks to Rams in about 2014 and never looked back. Even the 4th gen quality was enough to make me a believer. I owned a 1500 and a 2500 in that generation and had no issues with either truck.

Consumer Reports regularly trashes multiple vehicles that I have owned and have literally had zero problems with, so take them with a grain of salt. Their reporting on anything in the Mopar world is always negative as well. It's actually kind of a joke at this point.

JD Power has Ram among the top ranked in initial quality for 2020/21 MY's.

As with any brand or vehicle, there is potential that you could get a lemon or have an issue or two. From what I have read about these new 5th gen Rams, I'm expecting to get a well built truck with great quality materials for the segment when mine is delivered.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not a '21, but we've had ours since October '20 and have just under 10K on the odo. Only problem was a driver's side Rambox lid that liked to open on it's own sometimes, but that was an easy warranty fix. So besides that and the crappy stock Goodyears... all good so far.

Good call on the 33 gallon tank. That was an absolute MUST when I was looking, as was the locking rear. We absolutely love the Ramboxes and use them all the time. The only option I regret NOT wanting/getting is the multi-function tailgate. It would be a must if I were shopping now.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I had a second generation Ram 2500 for 26 years. best truck I ever owned. Before that I had a used 1972 ford f-250 that rattled worse then a rattle paint can.

I can not wait for my new 2022 ram!

Shawn19

Reaction score
I purchased my Ram 1500 last year, 20k miles in No Problems.
When I was looking I test drove a Chevy, didn’t like the interior and the drive was not as smooth as Ram. Fords, cost more for less stuff in my opinion, I drive Explorers at work. 2019/2020 Trans and interior suck!
In the end for me Ram has better MPG, more passenger room, and the price was where I wanted to be. I was hesitant coming out of a Lemon Jeep, but Ram has rebuilt my faith in the company.
Now I have a 2022 on order (getting more options I wanted).
Good luck out there!

Awood05

Reaction score
I am a born and bred Ford guy that switched to RAM In November. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. No brand is. It is a much better ride, the interior is second to NONE, and the quality is MUCH better than the last Ford’s I have owned. (Lincoln MKZ, 18 Raptor, 20 Explorer ST)

It was actually Consumer Reports that tipped my scale towards RAM.
3E3CB576-BDCE-4B93-B487-F664E6788003.jpg
They ranked them as #7 out of 26 for the most reliable auto maker. I think that and the fact that they are the 3-time (back-to-back) winner of Motor Trends Truck of the Year Make them the king of the 1/2 ton truck right now.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am a born and bred Ford guy that switched to RAM In November. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. No brand is. It is a much better ride, the interior is second to NONE, and the quality is MUCH better than the last Ford’s I have owned. (Lincoln MKZ, 18 Raptor, 20 Explorer ST)

It was actually Consumer Reports that tipped my scale towards RAM.
View attachment 105300
They ranked them as #7 out of 26 for the most reliable auto maker. I think that and the fact that they are the 3-time (back-to-back) winner of Motor Trends Truck of the Year Make them the king of the 1/2 ton truck right now.
Not to mention the upper trim level 5th gens being an IIHS 3 time Top Safety Pick for full size trucks.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an annoying whistling issue that took almost a month to figure out and repair, but even considering that I'd still go with RAM given the other options. I cross shopped every truck earlier this year.

Toyota: Hate the interiors. The trans seems very sluggish. I'm fully aware it will probably drive until the end of time.

Ford: New models look great (at least when you get rid of the chrome imo) and move great. Good, modern interiors. Infotainment is just as good IMO and I really liked the full hybrid option with the generator. The only thing that scared me away was Ford's track record of new model launches. and the utter lack of deals.

GM: I hate the look of the new Chevys. I really like the look of the Sierra AT4 though. The dollar to value wasn't there at the time, and the interiors are not nowhere near as good. Ride quality = meh.

Nissan: LOL

RAM: Great interiors, extremely comfortable ride, good power, great value. Service centers are very hit and miss, same goes with corporate support (though personally I've had great experiences with RAMCares).

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first ruck 1 year ownership 19K miles. No problems. Nothing of the typical leaks, rear window frame cracking, electricl gremlins or battery issues you will see reported on here so far.

I love the smooth ride of this truck and even my Bighorn Noght Edition trim is very nice with very nice cloth seats that are easy to clean. Unbelievable amount of space when I flip the back seats up. Great payload rating on Big Horn Level 2. Great torque and Hp. Great transmission and shifting. I enjoy the MDs system when highwy driving and the ability to suspend it by using the gear limiter around town.

The only major complaints I have is no stock rear wheel liners on my truck trim level and my AC vent Temps are around 50 and even though I live in FL and it is not that bad for me. I always end up lowering the fan speed because it does get too cold. I do wish it had a better sound system but I got the base 6 speaker. I'm 51 now so loud music isn't a necessity anymore but we all have those songs we just want to Blast. I also need the Helwig sawy bar for the rear end. Hear good things about it.

jkm312

Reaction score
DesertRat
You hit all of the major trouble in your post. Some of the first trucks built did have problems. I attribute that to a brand new design working its way thru the assembly line. There is no substitute for experience in the subtleties of assembly of a new process. You can engineer all you want on paper until you think you have it, but you never really know until it gets real in the factories. Lots of parts coming together from subcontractors to make the whole. The learning curve of servicing the trucks in the dealerships is just as touchy. 3 years down the road from that start and it seems to have smoothed out. There will always be a some trucks that just don't measure up, I had one. It's no fun and frustrating. No absolute guarantees in any brand of anything.

I have a 19 Laramie, purchased March 2019. The only real disappointment I've had is a leaky third brake light this spring. Got it taken care of. My AC was short a little freon, got that taken care of and the blend door has loosened up with use. We are doing OK. I see to it the truck is serviced, kept clean and drive it within reason. I don't ask more than I should from it. It is without doubt the most comfortable truck I have ever owned. The 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed is a good match for my style of driving. I came out of a nightmare of an 09 Silverado. I considered a comparable Ford, but the Ram outshined it in looks, comfort, drivability and value received for hard earned money paid. I'm of the opinion that the lower trade in value argument for RAM trucks will be less and less of an issue if they keep up winning awards like they have the last three years. Somebody will knock them out of the top spot, but not anytime soon. I've no regrets in purchasing my Ram truck.

rubrduk

Reaction score
First post here and I currently own a 2020 F-150 XLT but an considering switching to a 2021+ RAM 1500. I have a lot of questions and am hoping to get some objective opinions.

How is the RAM quality and dependability on the 2021 models? I have heard that the interiors on the RAM are pretty nice and many people like them over other brand trucks. I have also read some reviews on Edmunds and other sites and the RAM doesn't get great ratings though. I think it was Consumer Reports that was recommending as "do not buy". Many people are reporting electrical issues, braking, HVAC issues and other problems. It is hard to remain objective though as it is a lot like ratings and reviews on Ebay or Amazon and usually only those with issues bother to complain. My current Ford has a clunking noise in the rear that Ford, myself or anyone else can fix or do anything about. I am hoping Ford will offer to buy it back but IDK? I read an opinion on one non-truck forum to NOT but a 2021 RAm since it is the first year of that model and they were built like $hit becuse of Covid?

Is there any difference in build quality between the Big Horn, Laramie, and other models or are the only differences just options?

Are there any features or options on the RAM that I should absolutely consider or I will regret if I do not ( I do want the larger fuel tank)

How does RAM stand behind their warranty. Ford isn't too bad, but if they cannot fix something they will often just say it is normal and they will document it.

In my casual online searching I have noticed that the RAM is about 5K less than the Fords with the same features and trim. RAM must be stepping up to try and be competitive?

Thank you for any and all information.

There are a few oddball things to be mindful of,...the axle gear ratios are not changeable via aftermarket later. If you get a 3.21 ratio...you have to replace the entire rear or front end to change that

so make sure you order that as you want from the beginning as it's not plausible to change later

also, note the Ram trucks lose payload capacity quickly as they increase in trim and options,...you can have a top-spec truck with only a 1200lb payload capacity due to heavy options like the utility bed, panaroma roof, etc. Ford has exceptional payload capacities in 1/2 ton trucks,...you won't have that in a Ram

Bits4brains

Reaction score
My opinion, Ford Trucks ride like a truck that is for sure. Rams ride like a Cadillac. I used to own older Jeeps and used to like the rugged feel of the ride. Fords have that too IMO, a tough feeling ruggedness. So if you like it riding rugged like a truck, stick with Ford. If you want something more cushy and comfortable the Ram DT is the most comfortable truck out there IMO. Ive had a lot of Rams and like anything they have their issues but I think overall they are a great dependable truck. BTW I used own a few MGs too, every car is dependable compared to an MG. LOL I dont think you will regret switching to a Ram.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of good replies so far.

I had a 2018 XLT, very similar to your 2020. I paid nearly the same for a mid level Laramie as my upper mid level XLT. The RAM is better in almost every way. The auto dimming infotainment and keypad on the door were nice on the XLT. Had a lot of problems with the XLT, the RAM has been almost perfect.

Order a 2022, it has the MUCH upgraded infotainment in UCONNECT5. To get blind spot you will need to get a Limited or Big Horn and pay for the feature (unless it is no longer available on BH at all anymore). The chip shortage is hitting all manufacturers still.

Red Cat

Reaction score
Unfortunately the leaky third brake light has been an issue forever. I don't think that problem has only been limited to Rams though. When I got my 4th gen 2500 one of the first things I did was just put some thicker weather stripping in place of the OEM stuff for the peace of mind. Very easy to do and you'll never have to worry about a leak.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I am actually thinking of going to Ford. My '19 had the rear window replaced due to a leak, there is a paint defect in the passenger door, the air conditioning suck, misaligned doors and body panels and an air leak noise from the rear driver side.

The interior design of the RAM is the best of any truck on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread