5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching from a Tacoma... Advice?

highgear2005

Reaction score
I’d be looking at a rebel! The extra ground clearance and skid plates could come in handy. How about those ram boxes? With all that gear having that extra space would be a nice feature. Sounds like you’d be in the back woods. Which leads me to this question. How available is diesel fuel in the middle of nowhere? Just something to think about. My 19 bighorn screw cools just fine. It’s been a long hot summer here in western Pennsylvania and I can’t complain. Rule of thumb it’s better to go from a mid size truck to a full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Did the following:

- OVT Tune
- Gears

and spent tons of other fun money. TBH, I loved the size, style, and purpose.. HATED the engine/tranny combo.. It's horrible on the highway when trying to pass. I kept it for a good 4 years to pay it off so I wouldn't be upside down. Got good trade-in value for a:

2020 Rebel with all the bells/whistles

Hands down Ram wins in all categories and the interior is nothing like past Rams.. Do I expect to have issues? Probably, but I'll be ready to deal with it.. I've had several cars from different manufactures and each has their own flaw.. Albeit, my 2000 C5 and 2005 Mustang never gave me a lick of issue so I'm hoping for the best. My last full size was 2012 Raptor (WITH A REAL V8!!) (y). Owned the Raptor for 4 years and only recall was the power telescoping steering. No other issues. The upside is I have fair wealth of knowledge working on cars so it helps when it comes time to troubleshoot.

If you are on the fence, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you it's worth considering

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These 2 trucks being compared are apples and oranges. My son has a Tacoma as do a couple buddies, there is zero comparison between the Taco and a Ram 1500, in any category.

AZHUND

Reaction score
These 2 trucks being compared are apples and oranges. My son has a Tacoma as do a couple buddies, there is zero comparison between the Taco and a Ram 1500, in any category.
Well there is comparison on price... wasn't a huge difference between what I paid for my Taco 5 years ago and what I paid for my new RAM a month ago.

MacFly

Reaction score
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Did the following:

- OVT Tune
- Gears

and spent tons of other fun money. TBH, I loved the size, style, and purpose.. HATED the engine/tranny combo.. It's horrible on the highway when trying to pass. I kept it for a good 4 years to pay it off so I wouldn't be upside down. Got good trade-in value for a:

2020 Rebel with all the bells/whistles

Hands down Ram wins in all categories and the interior is nothing like past Rams.. Do I expect to have issues? Probably, but I'll be ready to deal with it.. I've had several cars from different manufactures and each has their own flaw.. Albeit, my 2000 C5 and 2005 Mustang never gave me a lick of issue so I'm hoping for the best. My last full size was 2012 Raptor (WITH A REAL V8!!) (y). Owned the Raptor for 4 years and only recall was the power telescoping steering. No other issues. The upside is I have fair wealth of knowledge working on cars so it helps when it comes time to troubleshoot.

If you are on the fence, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you it's worth considering
I have OVTune, and had planned on getting gears as well. But, considering that I'll now be needing to haul people in my line of work, an access cab just won't cut it anymore, so why put more money in the Tacoma platform. Really bummed though, used to be a diehard Tacoma guy.

Rossum

Reaction score
Which leads me to this question. How available is diesel fuel in the middle of nowhere? Just something to think about.
Having driven diesels for the last 11 years, I've paid pretty close attention to that. My experience is: The further into the boonies you get, the more likely it is that a randomly selected filling station will have diesel. Right now I'm at my cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains SW VA. For context: The entire county I'm in has exactly one traffic light. I'm not aware of a single filling station in this county that doesn't have diesel. In fact most of them have both kinds: Taxed for on-road use and untaxed for off-road.

Getting back to 1500s vs Tacos: My neighbor down in FL traded a 4th gen Hemi Laramie for a 2020 in the spring, and his wife traded an older Volvo XC90 for a Taco this summer. So apparently the Taco does appeal to some people who are quite familiar with the RAM's virtues...? I gather she really wanted something smaller than a full-sized truck.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having driven diesels for the last 11 years, I've paid pretty close attention to that. My experience is: The further into the boonies you get, the more likely it is that a randomly selected filling station will have diesel. Right now I'm at my cabin in the Blue Ridge mountains SW VA. For context: The entire county I'm in has exactly one traffic light. I'm not aware of a single filling station in this county that doesn't have diesel. In fact most of them have both kinds: Taxed for on-road use and untaxed for off-road.

Getting back to 1500s vs Tacos: My neighbor down in FL traded a 4th gen Hemi Laramie for a 2020 in the spring, and his wife traded an older Volvo XC90 for a Taco this summer. So apparently the Taco does appeal to some people who are quite familiar with the RAM's virtues...? I gather she really wanted something smaller than a full-sized truck.
Probably the only reason to get a Tacoma over any other truck...smaller size. Personally..I'd probably go with a Frontier Pro 4X over a Tacoma even though I do like most Toyota vehicles.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think once you drive a full size truck you’ll be wondering why you ever went with a mid size to begin with. lol
Personally I don’t fit in the midsize trucks , my head hits the ceiling on them .

Rossum

Reaction score
I think once you drive a full size truck you’ll be wondering why you ever went with a mid size to begin with. lol
Personally I don’t fit in the midsize trucks , my head hits the ceiling on them .
I don't think that's an issue for my neighbor's wife who got the new Taco. She's about 5'3 and maybe 110 lbs. :LOL:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wanting something smaller is about the only reason I could see buying a Tacoma. The ride quality isn’t very good, they are dogs in the the power dept (3.5 L or 4.0L not much difference) can’t carry much, can’t tow much, way less room inside, both front and back seats as well as bed space. To me you either want a truck or need a truck or you want a Tacoma, but there is no comparison between a Tacoma and a Ram 1500. My son drives a Tacoma every day and every time he has borrowed my truck he comes back and says the same thing........“man your truck is so sweet“.

Users who are viewing this thread