5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about switching from a Tacoma... Advice?

MacFly

Reaction score
Read til your eyes hurt! LOL

I ain't scurred! I follow a thread on a Tacoma forum that is now over 3,400 pages lol :ROFLMAO:

PostPremium

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of this AC thing. I have ceramic tinted windows and live on the Gulf coast and AC performance is fine. Ymmv?
Don't take this the wrong way, but your statement doesn't mean much. The last guy in one of the AC threads that said his AC was fine, finally posted his vent temp. It was almost 60 degrees.

Have you taken your vent temp yet?

PostPremium

Reaction score
Ours does fine in north Texas. I posted temps taken across multiple conditions and most cabin locations, but to no avail ;)
Don't recall your photos, but do recall you being satisfied with an average driver side temp of 51. Every vehicle I've ever owned blows that out of the water. I'd encourage the OP to bring a thermometer to the dealership for a test drive on a100° day.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't recall your photos, but do recall you being satisfied with an average driver side temp of 51. Every vehicle I've ever owned blows that out of the water. I'd encourage the OP to bring a thermometer to the dealership for a test drive on a100° day.
My driver side blew mostly between 48-52, and my passenger side (center console) blew 42-44. My wife and I just ran a 400-mile road trip on a 100+ degree day to central Texas. It was comfortable the whole time for me (auto 70, seat ventilation on low) and my wife (auto 73-74, no seat ventilation). To be honest, I never even thought about the A/C—except when I noticed my wife turning the vents to point away from her. But as I showed in my report, the air temperature at my seating position was dead-on my requested temp (69 on shady side, 72 on sunny side with requested temp of 70).

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I made the switch from a 2017 Tacoma double cab to my 2019 big horn crew cab about a year ago and have no regrets. I went with the 5.7 hemi (non etorque) and I easily get the same if not better mpg as I did in the Tacoma.

I usually don’t tow heavy, but the ram is of course hands down a better experience there as well. I think the only thing I miss about the Tacoma would be the size of it and where I could fit. I think if you make the switch you will not regret it either.

AZHUND

Reaction score
Ours does fine in north Texas. I posted temps taken across multiple conditions and most cabin locations, but to no avail ;)
Same here. It definitely takes some higher fan speeds to cool down the truck in 100+ degree temps (AZ) but isn't any worse than my Wrangler and is what I expected... I did test drive it on a hot Phoenix summer day so not like they tricked me into this. My old Taco and my wife's Mazda crossover both get colder at lower fan speeds, but my RAM (and Wrangler) are both more fun. I will go for more fun over slightly better AC performance any day.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My old Taco and my wife's Mazda crossover both get colder at lower fan speeds, but my RAM (and Wrangler) are both more fun.
Bringing us back on topic (or at least close to it)! I agree with the fun factor. Once upon a time, I had a bare-bones '92 Corolla with freezing A/C (except at idle, when it barely had enough power to run the fan). I have no plans to go back to that $500 beater.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Bringing us back on topic (or at least close to it)! I agree with the fun factor. Once upon a time, I had a bare-bones '92 Corolla with freezing A/C (except at idle, when it barely had enough power to run the fan). I have no plans to go back to that $500 beater.
Yep, back on topic. Everything in the Ram should be superior to the Toyota - minus the AC, longevity, and reliability.

MacFly

Reaction score
It's funny that the AC thing came up, because the poor AC is the only negative thing I found during my test drives. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I remember being distinctly unimpressed. Now that I know it's an issue with a super easy fix, I'm not worried about it at all. I'll likely also get ceramic tint, my dog goes EVERYWHERE with me, and I'll do whatever it takes to make her safer and more comfortable. She's one of the main reasons I'm going with bench seats over bucket, she'll finally be able to stretch out in the front seat lol

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with either option. Personally...I like my Hemi Etorque. But going from a underpowered Tacoma...either way is an upgrade. I'm in Las Vegas...110°F + this year...no problems with my AC. Either ECODIESEL or the Hemi will work for you very well considering how you're going to use the truck. Personally...never liked Diesels because of the maintenance costs. If I were you...take both for a test drive again, back to back and take a little time before deciding.
If it means anything...I do more hauling than towing with my Hemi (hence why I have a Hemi)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with either option. Personally...I like my Hemi Etorque. But going from a underpowered Tacoma...either way is an upgrade. I'm in Las Vegas...110°F + this year...no problems with my AC. Either ECODIESEL or the Hemi will work for you very well considering how you're going to use the truck. Personally...never liked Diesels because of the maintenance costs. If I were you...take both for a test drive again, back to back and take a little time before deciding.
If it means anything...I do more hauling than towing with my Hemi (hence why I have a Hemi)
So to summarize, what you're saying is... "Do it!"

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I always wanted the Taco but couldn't justify spending a similar amount for a less capable truck overall. The resale on the Tacoma and the overall reliability are about the only things I'll probably miss, that and being smaller in size. Otherwise I love having a V8 again and this is a damn nice truck for what I paid for it.

hoodac78

Reaction score
I have not owned a Tacoma, but my dad owned 2 of them and I drove them both on occasion. I will say that they do not compare to comfort and ride of the Ram. In my opinion, the Tacos rode like a shopping cart, and I always found I was banging my shins getting in and out of them. I couldn't wait to get into my full size truck. I think you will be very happy with your decision. Safe travels!

AZHUND

Reaction score
Worst case for me is I decide full size is not for me and trade it back for a Taco or a Gladiator Mohave... not like it is a forever decision.

smashweights

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but your statement doesn't mean much. The last guy in one of the AC threads that said his AC was fine, finally posted his vent temp. It was almost 60 degrees.

Have you taken your vent temp yet?

Not taken the wrong way, no worries. I just don't care what the vent temp is. If the AC gets the interior cool quicky and keeps me comfy when it's 100+ outside then it works fine. It does that for me.

PostPremium

Reaction score
Not taken the wrong way, no worries. I just don't care what the vent temp is. If the AC gets the interior cool quicky and keeps me comfy when it's 100+ outside then it works fine. It does that for me.
Makes perfect sense. I wish the non-hacked temps were adequate for me.

Users who are viewing this thread