5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting a Ram for increased towing stability

Zig10

Reaction score
What draws me in: actual towing mirrors...

Ironically, this was the first thing I changed on my truck. I absolutely couldn't stand the magnified towing mirror on the passenger side. Drove me crazy every time I tried to change lanes for the first 2 weeks. I dumped them for the regular power mirrors, and those are more than enough width for my boat (8'6" beam).

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ironically, this was the first thing I changed on my truck. I absolutely couldn't stand the magnified towing mirror on the passenger side. Drove me crazy every time I tried to change lanes for the first 2 weeks. I dumped them for the regular power mirrors, and those are more than enough width for my boat (8'6" beam).

Interesting. Do the regular mirrors and the tow mirrors have the same dimensions? / glass area? I would expect the tow mirrors to stick out further to see around 8’ wide trailer

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Do the regular mirrors and the tow mirrors have the same dimensions? / glass area?
I think they're about the same size, the biggest differences are the top to bottom spotter vs just the top corner. And they flip out vertical to give better sight down the side of the trailer.
Luckily for 2021 you can get power fold. I've gotta find a set and hope they work with the 19/20 because you couldn't get power fold tow mirrors on them.

To me, especially having a 32' trailer, the tow mirrors would be really really nice. The standard mirrors are adequate but at times you will find that they aren't.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 7200 lb 24' boat around with my 1500, and it does quite well. However, my tongue weight is very low compared to a travel trailer (only around 6-7%) so I can still deal with the minimal payload that the 1500 offers.

Even so, I would ditch the panoramic roof in a heartbeat for the extra payload you get from it. If you run a WDH, avoid the air suspension as well since it really won't help you, and I think that gives a little more payload as well.

The 1500 is wayyyyy more user friendly on a daily basis (90% of my driving), but if I were just buying a tow vehicle, I'd take the 2500 gasser.

On a side note, I do my longest towing trips with our 2018 Expedition, which, interestingly enough, has a payload that is 300+ lbs better than my Ram. Go figure...

So IIRC those vehicles come in "7 passenger" Trim.
They know between large passengers and leather packages, those payloads have to be high and they're sprung as such within safety margin. The Ram seats 5.
The reality is, payload doorsticker number aside? The Big pickup is a vastly better tow platform.
Giant radiator, the engine, axles, transmission, wheelbase, strong frame, etc etc etc.

On my last generation rebel, The doorsticker was around 900lbs, actually less. I "may or may not" have had a load greater than that in the bed, plus me driving it. I'm not someone that is bent on testing limits and spitting in the faces of engineers, HOWEVER, what I can tell you is that despite the doorsticker, the stability was amazing and it handled it fine.

Think about it component by component. The limiter was not the E-rated tires, that's 3/4Ton category.
Limiter is not the ZF transmission, the transmission was overbuilt and can handle a bigtime GCWR.
The 5.7 Truck hemi is basically the 3/4ton's 5.7 Hemi, it's a robust engine than can handle a rough life of real truck work.
The Air suspension will level out way more than someone should try to test!
My memory is hazy, but I wanna say I've seen a photo of someone's ~2017 Ram with like 2,600lbs of construction material in the back, it was not on the bump stops. I would never, ever do that in a halfton regardless of make. I only bring that up to suggest that the air ride system is robust. Me personally, I would be afraid of trusting it through canadian winters, but strength? It has it. In spades.
So if it's not the tires, and it's not the engine, not the suspension, and it's not the transmission? IIRC the limiter was the brakes, which were upsized in the next generation Ram 1500.

Despite that 900lb doorsticker, it was a very stable hauling platform mechanically and way preferable to a wrangler with an identical doorsticker. The doorstickers might have been identical, but it was not an identical experience.
I would say the same vs the SUVs with identical stickers. I would much rather haul 1,300lbs of dirty crap in a Ram 1500's bed, vs a (capable) Durango! I know there's safety margin built into the Ram, because they know Cleetus and his buddies will go further, more so with that vehicle class than with others. The Durango, while capable, I do give the edge to a full size pick up.

I would also say the same for a Ram 1500 with a 1,600lb payload, vs a Ram 2500 with a 1,600lb payload. I take the 2500 in a heartbeat. It's a friggin 3/4 ton.

I have nothing else to add that others haven't covered - I'll just be following along to see what you decide!
Pretty exciting, I think the move to the 1500 is a great idea. I'd take a look at some trucks optioned how you like, look at door stickers, see what fits within what you want and what it should weigh, yada yada

Oh, and post photos so we can all high-five you for the truck! 😁

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah and a crazy, crazy thought popped into my head.
What if you could have better towing load control, AND weight savings?

1609997550710.png

So this is the falcon teraflex shock kit. Most buy it to add 2in on the front of their truck for levelling.
I ordered a set recently, I plan on running them in the medium setting, to add 1inch of height but also maintain some rake, and adjustability for payloads via the knob.

However... One could hypothetically run them in the stock height setting, it has that setting. Additionally, you could use the knob to dial in stiffness for the trailer tongue weight.
Cost wise, The shocks are $1,500, a wash cost wise vs the air suspension after install.
Weight wise, downright lighter. Available payload weight savings are there, again if desired, and you do have some tricks you can use for towing.
Ride wise, I think I'd give the nod to the air suspension, it's down right good. HOWEVER, I don't know of anyone who bought the falcons and ran them in the "Stock" setting", they might be pretty nice that way.

Just a crazy idea!

Zig10

Reaction score
I think they're about the same size, the biggest differences are the top to bottom spotter vs just the top corner. And they flip out vertical to give better sight down the side of the trailer.
Luckily for 2021 you can get power fold. I've gotta find a set and hope they work with the 19/20 because you couldn't get power fold tow mirrors on them.

To me, especially having a 32' trailer, the tow mirrors would be really really nice. The standard mirrors are adequate but at times you will find that they aren't.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think my tow mirrors did stick out a little further, but I never got to tow with them on. Like I said, the large magnifying area on the passenger side was just incredibly annoying to me. Every time I checked that mirror on the highway it looked like the car in the right lane was in the bed of the truck. I spend a lot of time logging highway miles and figured I would get used to it, but after 2 weeks I just couldn't. I tried flipping them up, adjusting the smaller mirrors, etc. Just didn't work for me.

Even the "standard" mirrors stick out about 3" further on each side than any truck I have towed this particular boat with before, so I have zero complaints about the view.

Jason605

Reaction score
I would be trading the Durango in, figuring worth around $30k ($27k plus $3k rebate for giving up Lifetime MaxCare).

My new 2021 ram 1500 is in transit. I have a 2014 with the lifetime Maxcare also that I have never had to use that I'm trading in. What is this $3k rebate?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jason605

$3k rebate to give up Lifetime MaxCare is the Mopar MVP Select Owner Bonus Cash Offer

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So IIRC those vehicles come in "7 passenger" Trim.
They know between large passengers and leather packages, those payloads have to be high and they're sprung as such within safety margin. The Ram seats 5.
The reality is, payload doorsticker number aside? The Big pickup is a vastly better tow platform.
Giant radiator, the engine, axles, transmission, wheelbase, strong frame, etc etc etc.

On my last generation rebel, The doorsticker was around 900lbs, actually less. I "may or may not" have had a load greater than that in the bed, plus me driving it. I'm not someone that is bent on testing limits and spitting in the faces of engineers, HOWEVER, what I can tell you is that despite the doorsticker, the stability was amazing and it handled it fine.

Think about it component by component. The limiter was not the E-rated tires, that's 3/4Ton category.
Limiter is not the ZF transmission, the transmission was overbuilt and can handle a bigtime GCWR.
The 5.7 Truck hemi is basically the 3/4ton's 5.7 Hemi, it's a robust engine than can handle a rough life of real truck work.
The Air suspension will level out way more than someone should try to test!
My memory is hazy, but I wanna say I've seen a photo of someone's ~2017 Ram with like 2,600lbs of construction material in the back, it was not on the bump stops. I would never, ever do that in a halfton regardless of make. I only bring that up to suggest that the air ride system is robust. Me personally, I would be afraid of trusting it through canadian winters, but strength? It has it. In spades.
So if it's not the tires, and it's not the engine, not the suspension, and it's not the transmission? IIRC the limiter was the brakes, which were upsized in the next generation Ram 1500.

Despite that 900lb doorsticker, it was a very stable hauling platform mechanically and way preferable to a wrangler with an identical doorsticker. The doorstickers might have been identical, but it was not an identical experience.
I would say the same vs the SUVs with identical stickers. I would much rather haul 1,300lbs of dirty crap in a Ram 1500's bed, vs a (capable) Durango! I know there's safety margin built into the Ram, because they know Cleetus and his buddies will go further, more so with that vehicle class than with others. The Durango, while capable, I do give the edge to a full size pick up.

I would also say the same for a Ram 1500 with a 1,600lb payload, vs a Ram 2500 with a 1,600lb payload. I take the 2500 in a heartbeat. It's a friggin 3/4 ton.

I have nothing else to add that others haven't covered - I'll just be following along to see what you decide!
Pretty exciting, I think the move to the 1500 is a great idea. I'd take a look at some trucks optioned how you like, look at door stickers, see what fits within what you want and what it should weigh, yada yada

Oh, and post photos so we can all high-five you for the truck! 😁
X2

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Zig10

Reaction score
I love the ability of the extended towing mirrors to see around my 8'6" beam boat but hate the look of the "floppy bunny ears mirrors" extended mirrors on the truck when I don't need them. So I got these and I am happy and better off with visibility having them.

I had those for my '15 Yukon. They were great. No vibration at speed, and kept the mirrors clean when highway towing!

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
Good 1500, except dump the pano-roof and save the weight for a more usable payload. Also look at the actual gain over the smaller fuel tank and look at the payload gain and whether it makes a difference to you. I tow what would be called heavy, and still get 200-250 between fill ups, but I only run that in a regular day of towing. But then again, I'm retired, drive at 55/60 when towing, and am in no hurry. Remember when adding options you lose load capacity.
I agree with dumping the pano-roof, but that is one feature he had wanted in the original post. The smaller tank would save him around 75-80 pounds going towards payload.

Sam_The_RAM_Man

Reaction score
I think ordering would be my only option either way. Seems impossible to find a Laramie with the 40/20/40 bench
Not sure where you live, but we get them here from time to time at my dealership in San Antonio, Texas. The 4-corner air suspension is a rarity on the Laramie trim level. Today, we placed an order for ten (10) of the 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Southwest Edition 4x4 equipped with the following:
  • 33 gallon fuel tank
  • 3.92 rear axle ratio
  • 40/20/40 leather bench seat
  • Southwest Edition
    • Trailer Brake Controller
    • Power Running Boards
    • Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof
    • Uconnect 12 inch Touchscreen
    • GPS Navigation
    • SiriusXM with 360L
    • 5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service
    • SiriusXM Traffic Plus
    • 5-Year SiriusXM Travel Link Service
    • SiriusXM Travel Link
    • SiriusXM Guardian, 1-Yr Trial
    • Tow Hooks - Chrome
    • Dome Dual LED Reading Lamp
    • LED Dome/Reading Lamp
    • Body Color Front Bumper
    • Grille-Surround 3 Body Color Text 4 Chrome
    • Body Color Premium Power Mirrors
    • Body Color Exterior Mirrors
    • Body Color Rear Bumper w/Step Pads
  • Laramie Level 1 Equipment Group
    • Remote Tailgate Release
    • Auto High Beam Headlamp Control
    • Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
    • Blind Spot and Cross Path Detection
    • Parksense Front/Rear Park Assist w/Stop
    • Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp
    • Foam Bottle Insert
    • Rear 60/40 Folding Split Recline Seat
    • Auto Dim Exterior Passenger Mirror
  • 5.7L HEMI V8 eTorque engine
The colors are:
  • Patriot Blue with black interior
  • Delmonico Red with black interior
  • Ivory White Tri-coat with black interior
  • Billet Silver with black interior
  • Diamond Black with black interior
  • Granite Crystal with black interior
  • Delmonico Red with Mountain Brown/Light Frost Beige interior
  • Ivory White Tri-coat with Mountain Brown/Light Frost Beige interior
  • Bright White with Mountain Brown/Light Frost Beige interior
  • Olive Green with Mountain Brown/Light Frost Beige interior
We should get these trucks in stock near the end of March/beginning of April if you wanted one. Let me know.

Attachments

• Patriot Blue.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Delmonico Red.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Ivory White Tri-Coat 1.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Billet Silver.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Diamond Black.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Granite Crystal.pdf
  • Delmonico Red 2.pdf
  • Ivory White Tri-Coat 2.pdf
  • Bright White.pdf
  • Olive Green.pdf
    3.7 KB · Views: 5

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with dumping the pano-roof, but that is one feature he had wanted in the original post. The smaller tank would save him around 75-80 pounds going towards payload.

33-gallon tank is also must for me.

My Durango’s tank is about 25 gallons and it’s not enough when getting 7-9 mpg towing.

Thanks, but several major options there I don’t want, eTorque alone is a hard pass for me

Looked at one with MFT tonight but wife didn’t care for it. So that’s really the only item off my list. Everything else is a requirement. Pretty much only thing up for debate at this point is interior color, black vs mountain brown/beige

CRam92

Reaction score
Currently have a 5.7 Durango (with 8HP70/3.09 gears). I have a 7,000 lb GVWR, 31’ travel trailer that we pulled 5,500 miles this summer. Spent most of the miles towing just shy of the Durango’s GCWR of 13,100 lbs.

I know the Ram 1500 has the same 7,100 GVWR as Durango, but Ram has higher front (3900 vs 3200) and rear (4100 vs 3900) GAWR.

Basically I’m eyeing the Ram 1500 for a few reasons over my Durango (without going to a 2500)

17,000 lbs GCWR with the 3.92 gears.
+25” extra wheelbase (5’7” box)
+4” track width
+8 gallons fuel capacity (with the optional 33 gal tank)
Towing tech group

I’m a little concerned with having a lower payload rating. (Want a Laramie crew cab, 5’7”, Hemi, 33 gal, 3.92, pano roof, air suspension). We currently have about 1,300-1,400 lbs of payload when towing, which I estimate will be right up against the Ram 1500’s payload limit as configured. Well under the 17k GCWR though.

Will I be happy with the 1500, or regret not going 2500 ?
I tow a 32 foot with 3.92s and a wdh. It works out great but my haul rating is around 1600 vs you 1400. If you limit your options you could get more hauling. Airlift 1000s definitely help.

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
If you are going to Florida in the Summer with this trailer, be prepared that only “1” A/C unit will not be enough on that big of a trailer. Ask me how I know,,I live here. It will be OK at night ,but during the day it will not get it cool...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going to Florida in the Summer with this trailer, be prepared that only “1” A/C unit will not be enough on that big of a trailer. Ask me how I know,,I live here. It will be OK at night ,but during the day it will not get it cool...

Yes it has a single 15k unit. Won’t be there in summer though

WReckeR

Reaction score
Hi Zig,

Found this comment using Search. I am looking at buying a 2021 Ram that has the towing mirrors. I don't want them, I want standard. But, at the moment, it is easier to buy off the lot and this is what that truck has. So my question is, you are saying you changed yours. Where did you get the standard mirrors? And were they easy to retrofit? Did you resell the tow mirrors?

Thanks in advance

Zig10

Reaction score
Hi Zig,

Found this comment using Search. I am looking at buying a 2021 Ram that has the towing mirrors. I don't want them, I want standard. But, at the moment, it is easier to buy off the lot and this is what that truck has. So my question is, you are saying you changed yours. Where did you get the standard mirrors? And were they easy to retrofit? Did you resell the tow mirrors?

Thanks in advance
Yeah, I am not surprised you're having trouble finding one without the tow mirrors. However, don't forget that they are at least power-folding on the '21s. I would probably still have changed them out.

I ended up going with the Infotainment aftermarket package on mine. Not cheap, but by the time you piece everything together on your own it's about the same price anyway. Installation only took about an hour, and the hardest part for me was programming the mirrors because I could find the interface port at first, and then I couldn't get the module to seat all the way once I did. Ended up having to add some silicone grease to the module casing to get it to sit all the way down.

All that said, I am quite happy with the end product.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread