5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting a Ram for increased towing stability

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kids are still very young, both under 4 yo. So I imagine our current 31’ bunkhouse should last us at least 5 years. Own, not leased. Daily ride comfort isn’t a factor, my daily commute is 7 miles round trip.
This being the case if it were me, I keep my vehicles for more than 7 years so I would go with a 2500 to meet more long term needs. If you keep your vehicles for 5 years or less get a 1500 and then upgrade to a 2500.

Danishgod

Reaction score
Currently have a 5.7 Durango (with 8HP70/3.09 gears). I have a 7,000 lb GVWR, 31’ travel trailer that we pulled 5,500 miles this summer. Spent most of the miles towing just shy of the Durango’s GCWR of 13,100 lbs.

I know the Ram 1500 has the same 7,100 GVWR as Durango, but Ram has higher front (3900 vs 3200) and rear (4100 vs 3900) GAWR.

Basically I’m eyeing the Ram 1500 for a few reasons over my Durango (without going to a 2500)

17,000 lbs GCWR with the 3.92 gears.
+25” extra wheelbase (5’7” box)
+4” track width
+8 gallons fuel capacity (with the optional 33 gal tank)
Towing tech group

I’m a little concerned with having a lower payload rating. (Want a Laramie crew cab, 5’7”, Hemi, 33 gal, 3.92, pano roof, air suspension). We currently have about 1,300-1,400 lbs of payload when towing, which I estimate will be right up against the Ram 1500’s payload limit as configured. Well under the 17k GCWR though.

Will I be happy with the 1500, or regret not going 2500 ?
I am going through the same issue as you. I already have a 2019 Ram 1500 and i just ordered an Airstream that takes it to payload limits but well under the towing capability. The issue however, is mountains. If you plan to be in the mountains a lot, you may need a 2500. Then the issue is gas versus diesel. Lots of guys want diesel for durability and the exhaust brake, but the cost is significant and the Cummins wipes 700 lbs off the payload. Big mother that motor. Interesting that the gas 2500 has 700 lbs more of payload. and still tows in excess of 14,000 pending final configuration.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am going through the same issue as you. I already have a 2019 Ram 1500 and i just ordered an Airstream that takes it to payload limits but well under the towing capability. The issue however, is mountains. If you plan to be in the mountains a lot, you may need a 2500. Then the issue is gas versus diesel. Lots of guys want diesel for durability and the exhaust brake, but the cost is significant and the Cummins wipes 700 lbs off the payload. Big mother that motor. Interesting that the gas 2500 has 700 lbs more of payload. and still tows in excess of 14,000 pending final configuration.

We would only hit mountains on big trips. Gas vs diesel is easy for me, I’d be too worried about the emissions crap clogging up on the oil burner with my 7 mile (round trip) daily commute. It’s a $9k option I just don’t need.

Zig10

Reaction score
I tow a 7200 lb 24' boat around with my 1500, and it does quite well. However, my tongue weight is very low compared to a travel trailer (only around 6-7%) so I can still deal with the minimal payload that the 1500 offers.

Even so, I would ditch the panoramic roof in a heartbeat for the extra payload you get from it. If you run a WDH, avoid the air suspension as well since it really won't help you, and I think that gives a little more payload as well.

The 1500 is wayyyyy more user friendly on a daily basis (90% of my driving), but if I were just buying a tow vehicle, I'd take the 2500 gasser.

On a side note, I do my longest towing trips with our 2018 Expedition, which, interestingly enough, has a payload that is 300+ lbs better than my Ram. Go figure...

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s odd, but payload is the only weight aspect that I would actually be downgrading going from Durango to a 1500.

Part of my hesitation with the 2500 is the smaller cab. I’d have to get Mega Cab to get the same interior space of the 1500.

I’m feeling like drive 1500 for 5 years and wait to see if Ram redesigns the 2500 cab

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Kids are still very young, both under 4 yo. So I imagine our current 31’ bunkhouse should last us at least 5 years. Own, not leased. Daily ride comfort isn’t a factor, my daily commute is 7 miles round trip.
Im going to go opposite my gut feeling and tell you to get the 1500 (w/o the pano like someone said) and then just keep your speeds down. You’ll not like the unladen ride and worse mpg’s with the 2500 6.4. As others have said, availability is vastly different too.

Normally I’d always favor a 3/4T yet so many peeps are getting by with a well designed 1500 with a good wdh/sway control hitch. What was insane 20 yrs ago (towing a big 5ver with a half ton) is not so bad nowadays due to increased rims/brakes, increased frame stiffness, increased computer stability controls, better overall gas mileage etc.
I’d get the longer bed 1500 and stick with a BH though.

Payload counts, all those options hurt you. 3.92 is mandatory, ET is a maybe. Pano is a waste weight-wise.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im going to go opposite my gut feeling and tell you to get the 1500 (w/o the pano like someone said) and then just keep your speeds down. You’ll not like the unladen ride and worse mpg’s with the 2500 6.4. As others have said, availability is vastly different too.

Normally I’d always favor a 3/4T yet so many peeps are getting by with a well designed 1500 with a good wdh/sway control hitch. What was insane 20 yrs ago (towing a big 5ver with a half ton) is not so bad nowadays due to increased rims/brakes, increased frame stiffness, increased computer stability controls, better overall gas mileage etc.
I’d get the longer bed 1500 and stick with a BH though.

Payload counts, all those options hurt you. 3.92 is mandatory, ET is a maybe. Pano is a waste weight-wise.

ET ?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A 7000lb GVWR. 31 foot long travel trailer towed 5500 miles by a Durango. Seems like you have a great understanding of towing. So we do not need to spend much time there. Only questions are: when this decision is made are you keeping the Durango or trading it? Is the Durango giving you issues making the tow?

Laramie. Great trim choice. Pano roof is spectacular and the MFT is life changing. Keep them.

No need for a 2500...now...and as you said in 5 years the 2500 should be complete and then...get the 2500.

You seem to already understand that as far as "the power feel" your Durango is going to feel more powerful. Because it weighs less overall.

But the 1500 is going to feel more planted. And the extra width will allow the aerodynamics of the truck to assist the trailer and get your mirrors out were they need to be.

The pano and MFT are going to eat your payload...but you understand axle weights...and they will fall into the extra capacity of the truck. So about a wash.

The truck is designed to handle much more tongue weight. So the hit to payload will also be more controlled.

And since you are keeping the trailer...getting the 2500 would actually decrease "the power feel". A 2500 will weigh about 7200lbs empty. A few hundred pounds more than your current setup loaded.

So yes. If you want to upgrade your Durango, get the build you posted. It will serve you well for 5 years until you are ready to upgrade the trailer. Then go get that 2500 true 5th Gen and enjoy towing the new trailer right out the gate.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can tell you from my experience towing a 9,300 Lb 27' Boat all over the USA that the eTorque is a great feature for all of the side roads of stop and getting going again and the Air Suspension makes this truck stable and planted. I would rather have the comfort of the 1500 for the rest of the time if my towing doesn't exceed 11,000 Lbs or 1,000 Lb Tongue.

I am looking at the new 5th Gen 3500 in a couple years when I go to a 24,000 Lb 42' Toy Hauler and downsize from my Motorhome, so I can have the vehicle and the 4 Seat Razor along for adventures and not just one or the other.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be trading the Durango in, figuring worth around $30k ($27k plus $3k rebate for giving up Lifetime MaxCare).

No complaints with power and tows perfect in nice weather, but windy days & passing semi’s give an unsettling feeling.

Longest trip made last year was 1,300 miles. We are planning on doing 2,400 miles to Disney in a few months and I expect this year we’ll see around 7,500+ miles total towing. So I’d like to increase my safety margin.

What draws me in: actual towing mirrors, built in trailer tire pressure monitoring, longer wheelbase, wider track, 33 gal fuel tank.... basically expecting an overall better towing experience

I would prefer to keep the Durango for it’s Lifetime MaxCare, but my wife won’t give up her minivan.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
eTorque I would assume. ED would be the diesel. Good luck with your purchase.
Yep.
“The pano and MFT are going to eat your payload...but you understand axle weights...and they will fall into the extra capacity of the truck. So about a wash.”

All I can say about the sunroof is that I wish we had not gotten it due to never having opened it in 18 months. So the cost, weight and possible leakage is the issue. Anything that robs your already minimal payload is bad IMHO. A Big Horn has more payload (typically) than a Laramie, and you still get 90-95% of the neat things RAM offers.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep.
“The pano and MFT are going to eat your payload...but you understand axle weights...and they will fall into the extra capacity of the truck. So about a wash.”

All I can say about the sunroof is that I wish we had not gotten it due to never having opened it in 18 months. So the cost, weight and possible leakage is the issue. Anything that robs your already minimal payload is bad IMHO. A Big Horn has more payload (typically) than a Laramie, and you still get 90-95% of the neat things RAM offers.
If you are going camping and enjoying the country. The pano roof would add to the experience. Sure, I agree about worrying if it leaks...but you got to worry about an axle leaking...and the truck has to have it.

He towed the Camper with a Durango. 5500 miles and the RAM is going to tow it more stable.

I would definitely get the options I wanted.

If he hadn't already towed this camper...or was getting ready to upgrade...my answers would be completely different.

Good discussion here.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If a Durango towed that rig well, with no “white knuckles” then there‘s no reason a 1500 with a longer wheelbase wouldn’t do a better job. Crazy how much modern vehicles can tow.
Now before the overweight crowd jumps in, I’ll still say that properly adjusted trailer brakes and a good wdh with sway control are an absolute mandatory to keep the trailer tail from wagging the tow dog.

Guess I’m showing my age when I still feel that the tow vehicle should weigh more than the trailer, Toyota Tundra‘s and the space shuttle not withstanding... 🙄🤔🚙

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If a Durango towed that rig well, with no “white knuckles” then there‘s no reason a 1500 with a longer wheelbase wouldn’t do a better job. Crazy how much modern vehicles can tow.
Now before the overweight crowd jumps in, I’ll still say that properly adjusted trailer brakes and a good wdh with sway control are an absolute mandatory to keep the trailer tail from wagging the tow dog.

Guess I’m showing my age when I still feel that the tow vehicle should weigh more than the trailer, Toyota Tundra‘s and the space shuttle not withstanding... 🙄🤔🚙

I’m always a bit over the recommended tongue weight (720), but within spec for GAWR (3200/3900) GVWR (7100) and just barely within GCWR (13,100). I use a 4-point Equilizer WDH. Here is my last trip scale ticket.

With tongue weight, my gross vehicle weight actually weighs more than the trailer... 6720 (GVW) vs 6260 (trailer)

38C567A1-ADB0-405B-8548-39D8B69066DD.png

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
What, a person who uses a CAT scale to weigh their axles and determine their total loaded weight? And knows enough to compare to the standards for their vehicle? 😊

What happened to just eyeballing the squat of the tires and how much of the moon the headlights shine on? 🤔
1609975933602.jpeg

Sheesh, things are so complicated these days...🙄

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread