5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting a Ram for increased towing stability

WReckeR

Reaction score
Yeah, I am not surprised you're having trouble finding one without the tow mirrors. However, don't forget that they are at least power-folding on the '21s. I would probably still have changed them out.

I ended up going with the Infotainment aftermarket package on mine. Not cheap, but by the time you piece everything together on your own it's about the same price anyway. Installation only took about an hour, and the hardest part for me was programming the mirrors because I could find the interface port at first, and then I couldn't get the module to seat all the way once I did. Ended up having to add some silicone grease to the module casing to get it to sit all the way down.

All that said, I am quite happy with the end product.

Good luck!
The idea of paying $1400 for an option that's basically free/included (vs the $445 for tow mirrors) is obnoxious. You basically pay for both to get what you want, if you start off wrong.

Zig10

Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree. However, with the deal I got on mine, and the accidents I nearly got into because of the stupid magnifying mirror on the passenger side, it was worth it. It's rare that I screw up an option in a vehicle purchase, but this one definitely goes into the "live and learn" column.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have nothing else to add that others haven't covered - I'll just be following along to see what you decide!
Oh, and post photos so we can all high-five you for the truck! 😁

So to bring this full circle, I sold the Durango and purchased a Certified 1500 Longhorn w/ 25k. Trailer tire pressure wasn’t available on 2019’s and I didn’t get the tow mirrors, but I ended up the 360 camera that I wasn’t intending to get. The 360 really helps with parking this beast!

Got the truck just in time for our 2,500 mile Disney trip. Loaded we are bumping against the 7,100 GVWR as expected but I couldn’t be happier with the way it handles. It’s an amazing difference and such a stable, easy, comfortable tow. I was not exhausted after 500+ miles a day.

Cutting down on gas stops with using 29-31 gallons per tank instead of 20-22 gallons was fantastic.

I bought this expecting a better towing experience and it did not disappoint.

012BA955-D7A8-4C25-B69E-9D2E5E485141.png
6246D16B-1794-4D85-8BF3-C3BB2DC5F210.jpeg
8DDFB99E-485B-4F7B-A9FF-6BA0663AEB8C.png
36A80646-A5C7-47DD-952F-FAF8DCAF63B0.png

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So to bring this full circle, I sold the Durango and purchased a Certified 1500 Longhorn w/ 25k. Trailer tire pressure wasn’t available on 2019’s and I didn’t get the tow mirrors, but I ended up the 360 camera that I wasn’t intending to get. The 360 really helps with parking this beast!

Got the truck just in time for our 2,500 mile Disney trip. Loaded we are bumping against the 7,100 GVWR as expected but I couldn’t be happier with the way it handles. It’s an amazing difference and such a stable, easy, comfortable tow. I was not exhausted after 500+ miles a day.

Cutting down on gas stops with using 29-31 gallons per tank instead of 20-22 gallons was fantastic.

I bought this expecting a better towing experience and it did not disappoint.

View attachment 89572
View attachment 89573
View attachment 89574
View attachment 89575

That looks great, and it's probably suuuuper comfortable for everyone involved.
I'm happy it's worked out 100% as planned!
You perfected the Durango's towing needs and got some good experience under your belt - add in the extra "beef" of the 1/2ton? goes together like peanut butter and jelly. :cool:

I guess one of the takeaways from this thread - Bumping up against the GVWR with an SUV =/= bumping up against the GVWR with a 1/2ton Truck. 2 different experiences!

Users who are viewing this thread