5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Theft deterent?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I just read about a Ram 1 ton with welding machine that was stolen from near here. It appeared to be a 2018. What are you guys doing for theft deterent, alarms, steering wheel locking bar, etc.? I always keep my Laramie locked, things out of sight, stay out of high crime areas, etc. What else can I do?

papac0rn

Reaction score
I guess I am not to concerned. I figure that's why I have insurance. . . Drive it and have fun.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can spend the rest of your life worrying to no avail. As stated just have fun with it and let your insurance company deal with the stress...

Scram1500

Reaction score
Install a killl switch under the dash. Sounds like insurance fraud to me

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
You can spend the rest of your life worrying to no avail. As stated just have fun with it and let your insurance company deal with the stress...
Have you ever had a vehicle stolen? It's easy to enjoy until you do. You still need to make the payments on the stolen vehicle and hopefully you have a second vehicle to get back and forth to work.

I personally think all criminals should be shot, but of course, that's against the law. LOL

Glenn54

Reaction score
Thanks. I agree with you. I don't want to go through all the hassle. The insurance company isn't going to give me what I want. I had an older Suburban stolen several years ago. The police knocked on my door late that evening and asked me where I was a few hours earlier. Thief had crashed into another car. Fortunately, I had already reported it stolen. I'm just looking for various ideas that folks are using to deter the thief from taking mine. I know the professionals can steal it if they want it.

Have you ever had a vehicle stolen? It's easy to enjoy until you do. You still need to make the payments on the stolen vehicle and hopefully you have a second vehicle to get back and forth to work.

I personally think all criminals should be shot, but of course, that's against the law. LOL

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I have an aftermarket alarm with shock and tilt sensors and gps on it hooked up to my hornblasters train horns. If they get past it so be it but if they don’t the whole neighborhood will know.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Thanks. What brand and model of aftermarket alarm do you have? Not sure I will get the train horn though. I have been tempted with some of the rude drivers though.

I have an aftermarket alarm with shock and tilt sensors and gps on it hooked up to my hornblasters train horns. If they get past it so be it but if they don’t the whole neighborhood will know.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Thanks. What brand and model of aftermarket alarm do you have? Not sure I will get the train horn though. I have been tempted with some of the rude drivers though.
It’s a Viper vssds4p based off of my paper work with the shock and tilt sensor and the GPS SmartStart add on. It ties in with the factory system so I can still lock and unlock my doors with the key fob in my pocket like normal and can use the alarm fob or my regular key fob and it auto locks and sets itself after so many seconds.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I just read about a Ram 1 ton with welding machine that was stolen from near here. It appeared to be a 2018. What are you guys doing for theft deterent, alarms, steering wheel locking bar, etc.? I always keep my Laramie locked, things out of sight, stay out of high crime areas, etc. What else can I do?

I did some research last night on car theft with keyless entry and keyless start/stop on vehicles. If you leave your key fobs laying out on your kitchen counter like I do, a car thief can use a transmitter to catch the signal of the key fob to clone it and just drive off with your vehicle. I guess one of these bags that can block the signals would be a good start. I'm just posting a link to the first one that popped up, I'm sure there're better ones, but you get the idea.
Faraday Bag for Key Fob (2 Pack), TICONN Faraday Cage Protector - Car RFID Signal Blocking, Anti-Theft Pouch, Anti-Hacking Case Blocker (Carbon Fiber Texture) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDF5TX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o3ZjEbAWH44RH

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I did some research last night on car theft with keyless entry and keyless start/stop on vehicles. If you leave your key fobs laying out on your kitchen counter like I do, a car thief can use a transmitter to catch the signal of the key fob to clone it and just drive off with your vehicle. I guess one of these bags that can block the signals would be a good start. I'm just posting a link to the first one that popped up, I'm sure there're better ones, but you get the idea.
Faraday Bag for Key Fob (2 Pack), TICONN Faraday Cage Protector - Car RFID Signal Blocking, Anti-Theft Pouch, Anti-Hacking Case Blocker (Carbon Fiber Texture) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDF5TX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_o3ZjEbAWH44RH
Supposedly if you leave the transmitter towards the center of the house this can’t happen as well.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Supposedly if you leave the transmitter towards the center of the house this can’t happen as well.

I guess the best test for this is trying to unlock your vehicle with the key fob from the center of the house. Those RFID bags aren't expensive and I'm definitely getting a couple. I read somewhere wrapping the key fob in tin foil does the same thing. Going to try it out.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I guess the best test for this is trying to unlock your vehicle with the key fob from the center of the house. Those RFID bags aren't expensive and I'm definitely getting a couple. I read somewhere wrapping the key fob in tin foil does the same thing. Going to try it out.

Wrapping key fob in tin foil definitely works. I just tried it from about 20 feet from my truck where I usually use the remote start feature and unlock it right before heading out the door.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hidden kill switches are great for after someone gets into your ride; but something to keep them out might be aftermarket alarm leds or even a keypad like this - granted if someone wants to take a vehicle, overriding this isn't impossible either

*edit* one alarm system add-on I heard helped was a 12v horn under the dash or in the headrest - goodluck wanting to be in the cab when one of those is going off

1579634036815.png

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
That kill switch is sounding better and better
I'm installing a dash cam that will be hard wired to the fuse box for parking mode. At first I thought, I can't kill all the power, because I won't be able to use the parking mode. Installing the kill switch to the fuse for the fuel pump to cut the fuel off would work the best for me. That way I can continue to use parking mode.

derp

Reaction score
The theft of the vehicle and the welder sounds fishy.... How do these trucks start without communicating to the key?
Cloning the key.
Using a directional antenna and amp to extend range for challenge/response between they key and truck.
Tow truck Jacking.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

As for deterrents, the more gaudy and visible they are, the more effective they will be. this is where crap like the club work. Kill switches are effective at drive off thefts if done well.
Geofencing with the hotspot/cellular service is a great way to find out quickly, then you can get FCA to remote kill, if equipped.

Used to be having a manual transmission was also a deterrent. maybe now you have to do silly stuff like relocate the triggering relay for pushbutton start to somewhere else, like the seat controls (beyond my skill level).

get a SGW bypass module installed and a raspi connected to the car OBD that will kill the ignition if it doesn't get a bluetooth link to your phone. Sky's the limit with crazy interrupts.

Users who are viewing this thread