5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stellantis Hurricane Is a 500-Plus-HP Straight-Six Hemi Replacement

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That article lost me at direct injection. Not interested in any more direct injection engines after dealing with that with my Audi 2.0T engine.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Proof of longevity or a really really comprehensive warranty and a guaranteed loaner.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forged rods and crankshaft, and integrated exhaust manifolds are AWESOME for a mass market twin turbo! Thing will be stout and TUNABLE! Aluminum block will be a nice weight savings.

Downside, engine-mounted water to air intercooler and plasma lines cylinder walls. And wish it was Direct AND port injection.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, I lifted the heads on my 3.5 Ecoboost at 20psi. After studding the motor, we still couldn't hold much more than 23-24psi, so to hear the HO makes 26psi is pretty exciting sounding. I just hope they put big enough injectors and port injection in because fueling always seems to be the limiting factor when it comes to getting more power.

Also, hope it can eat E85. That would make the tuning community very happy.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dang, I lifted the heads on my 3.5 Ecoboost at 20psi. After studding the motor, we still couldn't hold much more than 23-24psi, so to hear the HO makes 26psi is pretty exciting sounding. I just hope they put big enough injectors and port injection in because fueling always seems to be the limiting factor when it comes to getting more power.

Also, hope it can eat E85. That would make the tuning community very happy.

Ecoboost only has 4 head studs/bolts doesn't it? Thst ain't holding dooky unless you're using 7/16 or bigger bolts/studs. Wonder if this I6 is a 6 bolt block

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ecoboost only has 4 head studs/bolts doesn't it? Thst ain't holding dooky unless you're using 7/16 or bigger bolts/studs. Wonder if this I6 is a 6 bolt block

The 3.5 had at least 8 per head.

jjhall8

Reaction score
Ecoboost I believe has 8 head bolts. I think you are talking about main bearing bolts not cylinder head bolts.

BowDown

Reaction score
The 3.5 had at least 8 per head.

Ecoboost I believe has 8 head bolts. I think you are talking about main bearing bolts not cylinder head bolts.

This looks like a 4 bolt block to me
livecoboost20.jpg

BowDown

Reaction score
Nevermind, you guys are talking about total headbolts.
I'm talking about number of bolts around each cylinder bore.
My LS has 6 bolts per bore, I think stock blocks have 5 per bore.
65240061674__F253FE74-CA8D-4CC9-8324-261BC408ED03.fullsizerender.jpg

I'd think an ecoboost would be 5 to 6 bolts per bore, with 26lbs on the hurricane HO I6, I hope it has 5 or 6

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That article lost me at direct injection. Not interested in any more direct injection engines after dealing with that with my Audi 2.0T engine.
You will see more going to direct injection because they can be made more fuel efficient. Definitely need to use a catch can with direct injection though.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The VW DI engines are terrible for carbon buildup, but some designs are better than others. My wife's Honda V6 is DI and I just did the timing belt service on it. Looked at the intake valves and was shocked at the lack of buildup. Haven't run a catch can on it for it's entire life so far.

So there are ways to avoid it, but I'd probably run a catch can on these straight sixes.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s apples to oranges but the 2.0 turbo cousin to this in my Wrangler makes good power. Fuel economy isn’t great but the hybrid helps with that. Many are experiencing gas in the oil from direct injection. Not a good sounding engine. I hope they do something so at least it has a good growl. The power numbers sound like they will be really good.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s apples to oranges but the 2.0 turbo cousin to this in my Wrangler makes good power. Fuel economy isn’t great but the hybrid helps with that. Many are experiencing gas in the oil from direct injection. Not a good sounding engine. I hope they do something so at least it has a good growl. The power numbers sound like they will be really good.
Nothing you can really do to a 4 or 6 cyl to "growl" if you want that V8 sound

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been a while since I heard a straight 6, but IIRC they sound better than V6.

Users who are viewing this thread