5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Stellantis Hurricane Is a 500-Plus-HP Straight-Six Hemi Replacement

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing you can really do to a 4 or 6 cyl to "growl" if you want that V8 sound
Thats is true. Bad timing with gas prices, but one of the reasons I ordered a truck now was to get something with a V8 while they are still around. I realize they will be around for quite a while longer. I was feeling nostalgic having owned a Ranger with the turbo and now the Wrangler with a turbo. I prefer the older school sound of a V8. I know this will be a good engine. Like was mentioned too....I do think an inline 6 potentially will sound pretty good though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats is true. Bad timing with gas prices, but one of the reasons I ordered a truck now was to get something with a V8 while they are still around. I realize they will be around for quite a while longer. I was feeling nostalgic having owned a Ranger with the turbo and now the Wrangler with a turbo. I prefer the older school sound of a V8. I know this will be a good engine. Like was mentioned too....I do think an inline 6 potentially will sound pretty good though.
Definitely better than a V6

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I’m guessing the HO version will only be available where the current 6.4 is used, we will see…

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Considering the standard output motor actually out hp and torques the 5.7L, I'm afraid they won't offer the Hemi anymore when this motor comes out. I was hoping for the 6.4L as an alternative, but the High Output 3.0L also out powers that motor as well.

I am hoping Stellantis follows Ford's lead on still offering a V8 even though they are focused on the Ecoboost. I mean the RAM and a Hemi V8 are just tied together, it's what the truck is famous for.

But I also understand moving forward and the regulations the factories have to deal with. Future Rebel with Hurricane Plug-In Hybrid, I would love that actually.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Considering the standard output motor actually out hp and torques the 5.7L, I'm afraid they won't offer the Hemi anymore when this motor comes out. I was hoping for the 6.4L as an alternative, but the High Output 3.0L also out powers that motor as well.

I am hoping Stellantis follows Ford's lead on still offering a V8 even though they are focused on the Ecoboost. I mean the RAM and a Hemi V8 are just tied together, it's what the truck is famous for.

But I also understand moving forward and the regulations the factories have to deal with. Future Rebel with Hurricane Plug-In Hybrid, I would love that actually.
The will offer the Hemi since they are projecting total output for this engine at 250,000 per year. Since it will be used in other vehicles besides the Ram 1500, there's no way they can drop the Hemi and replace it with this straight 6 turbo.

Here's a quote from an article about the new motor:

“We haven’t said that we are discontinuing any engines,” Jewett notes. “The Hemi is incredibly popular, and it's important to our customers. The Hemi V-8 is in our product portfolio for the foreseeable future.”

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If patterns hold true, they'll do what they've done every time there has been an engine changeover in the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ram.

For at least a year or two, they'll offer old engines and new. Rumor is they have so many of the 5.7 Hemis made that they won't run out anytime soon, so they may continue to offer it as long as people buy it.

I'm hoping they do what Ford and GMC have done: offer the higher HP engine with at least the top end trims, at least the Longhorn and Limited, if not others.

brewdad

Reaction score
For those of us who prefer the standard Hemi engine with no Start/Stop, both the High Output & Standard Output Inline engines have Stop/Start as standard. I do not know if this a system that has an auxillary battery or some sort of eTorque system.

BowDown

Reaction score
If patterns hold true, they'll do what they've done every time there has been an engine changeover in the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ram.

For at least a year or two, they'll offer old engines and new. Rumor is they have so many of the 5.7 Hemis made that they won't run out anytime soon, so they may continue to offer it as long as people buy it.

I'm hoping they do what Ford and GMC have done: offer the higher HP engine with at least the top end trims, at least the Longhorn and Limited, if not others.
Yes, no HEMI for the peasants! :D

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The will offer the Hemi since they are projecting total output for this engine at 250,000 per year. Since it will be used in other vehicles besides the Ram 1500, there's no way they can drop the Hemi and replace it with this straight 6 turbo.

Here's a quote from an article about the new motor:

“We haven’t said that we are discontinuing any engines,” Jewett notes. “The Hemi is incredibly popular, and it's important to our customers. The Hemi V-8 is in our product portfolio for the foreseeable future.”

Nice, that's great news!

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And less efficient..
In theory, we'll see what it looks like when they are actually on the road. In practice the Ford Turbo V6s are less efficient due to the way people drive, it's only better on the EPA cycle.

With that said, I'm quite excited for this engine. I'm not all that married to the V8, as great as they sound with a good exhaust.... I like power and torque more.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In theory, we'll see what it looks like when they are actually on the road. In practice the Ford Turbo V6s are less efficient due to the way people drive, it's only better on the EPA cycle.

With that said, I'm quite excited for this engine. I'm not all that married to the V8, as great as they sound with a good exhaust.... I like power and torque more.

I know there was nothing ECO about my Ecoboost. That motor was thirsty!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always wonder about the power lag with turbo's under tow load.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whatever they can get away with. It should be cheaper than all the other options save the pentastar.

Users who are viewing this thread