5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new electric Ram

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I'm in a weird spot. I want my next truck to be an electric Ram, so I want them to come out with something great with usable range (though it doesn't have to necessarily match the 800+ miles I'm getting on a tank.) So, I want it to be great, but I don't want it to be so great that there is no interest/trade-in value for my current truck. I guess what I really need is for there to be enough diesel die-hards who will never go electric and will be there waiting for my truck when I ready to go electric.

That said, we're enjoying our truck so much, I can't see me trading for many years and I'd be happy if the next one looked exactly like my current truck.

800 miles to a tank??

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I heard the new electric Ram runs on 7,486 AA batteries.......will be a real pain to change them out every few weeks.
If that estimate is anything like Ram’s EPA mpg estimates, that interval would be halved. 😅

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I'm in a weird spot. I want my next truck to be an electric Ram, so I want them to come out with something great with usable range (though it doesn't have to necessarily match the 800+ miles I'm getting on a tank.) So, I want it to be great, but I don't want it to be so great that there is no interest/trade-in value for my current truck. I guess what I really need is for there to be enough diesel die-hards who will never go electric and will be there waiting for my truck when I ready to go electric.

That said, we're enjoying our truck so much, I can't see me trading for many years and I'd be happy if the next one looked exactly like my current truck.
According to the "EV Day" event they held last year, their "STLA Frame" platform that the Ram will be based on will have a 500 mile range. Guessing that will be a best case scenario, but it if translates into an approx. 300 mile range while towing, it won't be a bad start. Personally, I'm going to enjoy my 2019 for a few more years, and will probably start looking at an EV probably in 2028/29.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Last edited:

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Funny the amount of debate over an article published by a site that included an "artist's rendering" which was done by someone that has absolutely no connection whatsoever with Ram. Personally, I'll wait until someone connected with Ram releases an official teaser before I decide whether I like it or not.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Funny the amount of debate over an article published by a site that included an "artist's rendering" which was done by someone that has absolutely no connection whatsoever with Ram. Personally, I'll wait until someone connected with Ram releases an official teaser before I decide whether I like it or not.
Yeah - Where else but a Forum can we fake argue over a fake photo :LOL:??

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The F150 Lighting is pretty close to normal I think.

It is to me as well, not sure what to think about that. I like Chevy's approach; what can we do to make a killer EV truck with no prior baggage, just a clean sheet design. It's not even a ladder frame, the battery pack gives it a ton of rigidity and so they can do things with that truck that Ford can't (because the lightning is still a traditional F150 with batteries stuff in it).

But I'm not stuck on the looks of the Chevy, especially the "Avalanche" styling cues at the end of the cab.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Let me know when they can get 1000 Kwh of stored energy (batteries) on board. The equivalent of 30 gal of gas.
I think Ford is saying under 200 Kwh's currently?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is to me as well, not sure what to think about that. I like Chevy's approach; what can we do to make a killer EV truck with no prior baggage, just a clean sheet design. It's not even a ladder frame, the battery pack gives it a ton of rigidity and so they can do things with that truck that Ford can't (because the lightning is still a traditional F150 with batteries stuff in it).

But I'm not stuck on the looks of the Chevy, especially the "Avalanche" styling cues at the end of the cab.
I do like the midgate, having the ability to haul like a long bed when you need it but a short bed with a backseat when you don't ads some versatility.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
According to the "EV Day" event they held last year, their "STLA Frame" platform that the Ram will be based on will have a 500 mile range. Guessing that will be a best case scenario, but it if translates into an approx. 300 mile range while towing, it won't be a bad start. Personally, I'm going to enjoy my 2019 for a few more years, and will probably start looking at an EV probably in 2028/29.
and how long to recharge?
probably a day:(

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let me know when they can get 1000 Kwh of stored energy (batteries) on board. The equivalent of 30 gal of gas.
I think Ford is saying under 200 Kwh's currently?
Where did that 1000kwh == 30gals gas come from?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may go for a RIVIAN on the next truck.. ugly headlights, but the rest of it..WOW, 1000 hp!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may go for a RIVIAN on the next truck.. ugly headlights, but the rest of it..WOW, 1000 hp!
Horsepower isn't exactly the greatest statistic for EV's. You can do a lot more with less when there's 0 RPM's needed to get all that HP/torque.

As far as the EV trucks go, I'd rather they look more like the gas versions than trying to make them futuristic. Every make needs to have a giant poster of the Cybertruck with a DO NOT THINK LIKE THIS caption on it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL.

TFB just pulled a trailer with a Rivian and it used 80% of the battery going 70 miles uphill from Boulder to nearly the top of the Ike.

They had to charge before the return trip east. With 53% battery, finishing at 37%.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL.

TFB just pulled a trailer with a Rivian and it used 80% of the battery going 70 miles uphill from Boulder to nearly the top of the Ike.

They had to charge before the return trip east. With 53% battery, finishing at 37%.

Obviously not ideal but to be fair most mid-size truck owners are not looking to tow a full-size truck 70 miles up a mountain. the vast majority of truck owners - I would guess at least 80% use their truck primarily as a daily driver and occasionally on a forest road or similar. The number of truck users who actually tow or do serious off-road use is very small in total but over represented on the forums I would assume.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL.

great....just pop my balloon why doncha!...lol. well hopefully by the time I'm ready for the next truck, they have better batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread