5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new electric Ram

ChrisID

Reaction score
There is a formula to figure all that out, I believe it is 33.7 kwh is equal to 1 gl of Gas.
That works. Or convert gal of gas to BTU's (energy unit), then that BTU number to Kwh's. The reason I used 30 gals is because that's what I use in a weekend to tow a trailer 2-3hrs each way, so 5-6hr drive. Tow a 5K lb trailer a lot. I get 10mpg.
So using a current/proposed EV truck, I would have to stop and charge for hours? 3-5 times. My weekend trip turns into a 4 day weekend? Where do I charge when I get to the farm field/remote dry campground?
There is NO replacement for the practicality of 125,000 BTU's in a gal of gas (and propane or diesel)
No way this is going to work gents, for people that use trucks to do actual work.
Like I said above: let me know when EV trucks come with 1000Kwh on board.
Don't forget the massive amount of time to recharge that bad boy battery.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That works. Or convert gal of gas to BTU's (energy unit), then that BTU number to Kwh's. The reason I used 30 gals is because that's what I use in a weekend to tow a trailer 2-3hrs each way, so 5-6hr drive. Tow a 5K lb trailer a lot. I get 10mpg.
So using a current/proposed EV truck, I would have to stop and charge for hours? 3-5 times. My weekend trip turns into a 4 day weekend? Where do I charge when I get to the farm field/remote dry campground?
There is NO replacement for the practicality of 125,000 BTU's in a gal of gas (and propane or diesel)
No way this is going to work gents, for people that use trucks to do actual work.
Like I said above: let me know when EV trucks come with 1000Kwh on board.
Don't forget the massive amount of time to recharge that bad boy battery.
It may not be that long. The Hummer EV has 200 kWh, and the Cybertruck supposedly will have up to 250. Apparently, the Tesla semi will have 500 kWh, and the long-haul version will see 800-900 kWh. The real-world Volvo semi is already at 565 kWh.

So…it’s really just a matter of waiting for packaging and lightweighting advancements to trickle down. I’d be surprised if range is a barrier to EV usage (for most drivers, even with trucks) 5-10 years from now.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the conversion for gal of gasoline to Kwh of electricity is a bit more complex as well, my Pacifica can travel as much as 35 miles on just under 13Kwh of battery but would need a little over a gallon of gas to make that same distance so in that case 1 gal of gas is equal to more like 12 Kwh. This of course has a million variables including temp, weight, motors etc.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the conversion for gal of gasoline to Kwh of electricity is a bit more complex as well, my Pacifica can travel as much as 35 miles on just under 13Kwh of battery but would need a little over a gallon of gas to make that same distance so in that case 1 gal of gas is equal to more like 12 Kwh. This of course has a million variables including temp, weight, motors etc.
Agreed. There’s no question that gasoline has far more energy density. Like 100x more density than lithium ion.

But battery packs aren’t typically limited to the size/weight of a gas tank. And EVs are roughly 5x more efficient at energy conversion (approx. 80%+ vs 15% “site efficiency”).

So gasoline still has an advantage for range due to unmatched energy density, but EVs are closing the gap in other ways.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would consider going EV when battery swapping instead of charging stations become common practice.

I don't think battery swapping is all that viable though, some car/trucks can package their batteries and more of them, if they don't have to worry about having something that can be slid out and replaced. So you can theoretically get more range from the same truck if battery swapping isn't a requirement.

There's also that knowledge that you're riding on something explosive which may or may not have been abused by the previous guy/station.

ChrisID

Reaction score
It may not be that long. The Hummer EV has 200 kWh, and the Cybertruck supposedly will have up to 250. Apparently, the Tesla semi will have 500 kWh, and the long-haul version will see 800-900 kWh. The real-world Volvo semi is already at 565 kWh.

So…it’s really just a matter of waiting for packaging and lightweighting advancements to trickle down. I’d be surprised if range is a barrier to EV usage (for most drivers, even with trucks) 5-10 years from now.
SpeedyV, your missing a very important point: A loaded semi is 80,000 lbs. Way different than my total of 10,000 for LD truck and trailer. It's all about 'work'. Lots of smoke and mirrors going around (both for and against EV).
I'm willing to bet big money (in escrow) that we won't see an energy density in battery tech come even close to gas in a very very long time. There is currently only two, splitting atoms and oil.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SpeedyV, your missing a very important point: A loaded semi is 80,000 lbs. Way different than my total of 10,000 for LD truck and trailer. It's all about 'work'. Lots of smoke and mirrors going around (both for and against EV).
I'm willing to bet big money (in escrow) that we won't see an energy density in battery tech come even close to gas in a very very long time. There is currently only two, splitting atoms and oil.
See my next reply in the thread above. As I’ve pointed out, the energy density of gasoline is unparalleled (100x that of most lithium ion batteries). But batteries don’t need to get there. Since EVs are roughly 5x more efficient at energy conversion than gasoline-fueled vehicles (80% vs 15%), and because batteries aren’t limited to the physical size of a fuel tank, some of that ground has already been made up. And if I had to bet on where breakthroughs will be made in energy storage over the next few years, I wouldn’t be betting on gasoline.

ChrisID

Reaction score
See my next reply in the thread above. As I’ve pointed out, the energy density of gasoline is unparalleled (100x that of most lithium ion batteries). But batteries don’t need to get there. Since EVs are roughly 5x more efficient at energy conversion than gasoline-fueled vehicles (80% vs 15%), and because batteries aren’t limited to the physical size of a fuel tank, some of that ground has already been made up. And if I had to bet on where breakthroughs will be made in energy storage over the next few years, I wouldn’t be betting on gasoline.
Fair enough. If/when they get there, then I will concede. I don't think they will. I think there are other reasons for the big EV push, all mostly political.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think battery swapping is all that viable though, some car/trucks can package their batteries and more of them, if they don't have to worry about having something that can be slid out and replaced. So you can theoretically get more range from the same truck if battery swapping isn't a requirement.

There's also that knowledge that you're riding on something explosive which may or may not have been abused by the previous guy/station.
Yeah, we're pretty far from it right now. I just wished it was.

The last few years, every tool I've bought is battery. From drills, impact drivers, impact wrenches, saws, leaf blowers, lawn mower, snow blower, etc. I'm just hopeful battery tech will be developed far enough for EV.

Are they planning on coming out with a Hybrid, like the Tundra?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread