5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New 2025 Ram 1500 (TFL truck summary review)

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still get slower 0-60 doing 4h into 2wd.
4Auto gives me my best 0-60s and I tried several times with your method of changing into 2wd after hitting second gear.

When you mean brake stalking to 1500, you mean revving it in drive with your brake on then letting it? I didn't do that, I guess that would squeeze a bit out as mine was idle at a stoplight. Light turns green brake goes off and same foot goes on the gas in 4auto.

I don't see any Ram 1500s doing a 7.6 sec 0-60. That's really slow. Even the current Pentastar v6 can do that in an Ram... Until it comes out in a Ram all these numbers are crap, and calling it "way faster" is nonsense. The HO will be faster, but the SO doesn't look like it, which is fine because it's not designed to be that way, putting a turbo on the 5.7 would make it faster, not putting in an tiny engine and slapping a turbo on it, that's meant to cover the gap for the huge decrease in power
Dang, if you are getting 5.9 to 60 just flat footing it, that is one helluva tune you got there! At 6,300 lbs that would be pushing nearly 500hp at the crank according to drag math. Nice!

I'd have to agree about 4H though. After a prior comment from HSKR, I did compare 4A to 4H at a test & tune at the strip (different vehicle but same transfer case). As in your case, 4A consistently gave me better times. I'd lose typically around 0.2-0.3 seconds and 3-4 mph less trap.

I had previously assumed 4H and 4A would deliver identically, because I figured they'd be behaving identically during WOT in a straight line. And from HSKR's experience thought maybe 4H would even be faster.

Not sure what's happening mechanically to explain the difference, but it was very repeatable. Maybe 4A reduces clutch engagement (friction) at higher speeds/big end of the track? 60 ft and 330 ft times were somewhat close. I alternated back and forth for 5 runs in a single evening.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had previously assumed 4H and 4A would deliver identically, because I figured they'd be behaving identically during WOT in a straight line. And from HSKR's experience thought maybe 4H would even be faster.

Not sure what's happening mechanically to explain the difference, but it was very repeatable. Maybe 4A reduces clutch engagement (friction) at higher speeds/big end of the track? 60 ft and 330 ft times were somewhat close. I alternated back and forth for 5 runs in a single evening.
4H is a 50/50 split.
I would need to double check but 4Auto is like 30/70 split (and can go to 50\50 when loss of traction is seen).
At higher speeds it still provides torque to the front wheels, but it's more to just keep everything moving so if it does need to provide power it's just an increase and doesn't need to catch up.

The extra power in back is likely to help a ton with just enough in front to prevent slipping

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
I know Ram only said that the new 1500s will be available next quarter, but I wonder when the order banks will open for these. If that won't be until Q1, or even before. I'm definitely going to put an order in right away.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I still get slower 0-60 doing 4h into 2wd.
4Auto gives me my best 0-60s and I tried several times with your method of changing into 2wd after hitting second gear.

When you mean brake stalking to 1500, you mean revving it in drive with your brake on then letting it? I didn't do that, I guess that would squeeze a bit out as mine was idle at a stoplight. Light turns green brake goes off and same foot goes on the gas in 4auto.

I don't see any Ram 1500s doing a 7.6 sec 0-60. That's really slow. Even the current Pentastar v6 can do that in an Ram... Until it comes out in a Ram all these numbers are crap, and calling it "way faster" is nonsense. The HO will be faster, but the SO doesn't look like it, which is fine because it's not designed to be that way, putting a turbo on the 5.7 would make it faster, not putting in an tiny engine and slapping a turbo on it, that's meant to cover the gap for the huge decrease in power

Looking at only peak power, you'd be correct about the improvement however that's a poor representation of how an engine/vehicle will preform. Average power is what you should be focused on, power under the curve and how broad the curve will be. The SO will produce more power under the curve and through the curve which will significantly improve the performance; going from memory, the Hurricane SO has ~100 more lb ft of torque than the 5.7 at low RPMs and about 2000 rpm sooner.
That's a huge improvement with just the SO. The HO will be stupid.

As for the exhaust sound, BMW uses a starlight 6 and the aftermarket has figured out how to make it sound good.

TBone423

Reaction score
The only way I will buy a 2025 is to buy without the motor and trans. and order a crate 6.2 and have it put in a limited. that's the only way I will own a 2025!!

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Somehow, I just have this feeling that, if they had said they were going to offer a new option to have the 6.4L Hemi in the 1500 and it would offer an extra 25 HP and 60 ft-lbs of torque (plus even bigger gains in the lower RPMs), you would be raving about how awesome that is.... Especially if it was also going to get better gas mileage.
I've said for years if they put the 6.4 in our trucks it would go from #2 to #1. Lol and I wanted a hellcat sport ram I don't need a baja truck not my style I lower all of mine for a street/hotrod look. They put a hellcat in everything else even a freaking durango and 6.4 in a wrangler but we can't get a 6.4 in the 1500s 🤢🤮

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've said for years if they put the 6.4 in our trucks it would go from #2 to #1. Lol and I wanted a hellcat sport ram I don't need a baja truck not my style I lower all of mine for a street/hotrod look. They put a hellcat in everything else even a freaking durango and 6.4 in a wrangler but we can't get a 6.4 in the 1500s 🤢🤮

I suspect that has to do with volume and how it affects emissions. Putting the 6.4 in low volume "halo" vehicles to drum up dealership interest doesn't really hurt their overall emissions or CAFE numbers. But a high volume truck certainly will.

Heck, I would just be happy to have the 5.7L going into the future, but that isn't going to happen either.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 1500s with Hemis for 13 years. In hindsight, I'm glad enough they never offered the 6.4 in the 1500. I consistently averaged 14 MPG (combined city/hwy) in my 5.7s....

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had 1500s with Hemis for 13 years. In hindsight, I'm glad enough they never offered the 6.4 in the 1500. I consistently averaged 14 MPG (combined city/hwy) in my 5.7s....

6.4 probably wouldn’t be much worse as long as you can keep your foot out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

e92sg

Reaction score
Does anyone know if all trims will loose the currently ram badge in rear for the RAM lettering?

Reaction score
Interesting video.

I like the looks of the truck. Glad they’re not making any drastic changes.

The standard Hurricane is a bit underwhelming. No more HP than the Hemi and losing that great V8 sound. The HO looks pretty exciting but wondering what the up-charge will be for that motor. Either way good to see eTorque isn’t being continued.

The EV using the Pentastar as a battery charger is interesting. Not something I would be interested in but I’m sure that will get a lot of EV fence sitters to jump over with basically unlimited range. I think those will sell much better than the full EV. Smart move by Ram having that option available.
There will be a difference in driveability - I remeber being on the fence years back when I bought my first Ecoboost 3.5 F150 back in 2011 - actually I leased it because I was skeptical about the turbos and there was no 5.0 V8 available at the time. I loved that truck, it pulled like a monster with smooth turbo power and it was reliable, I always changed the oil ahead of schedule with synthectic. After that, I got a 2014 V8 and regretted it shortly after. I went back and forth for a few years with V8's and V6 turbo's till I Ford to **** off and then got my first Ram, a 2022 Limited which I love. It's got just over 20,000 km on it so I plan on keeping it for a few more years, I just wish it had more torque to make the driving experience more effortless, which I will know I wlll have when I get a new Limited with the HO turbo 6. My hemi sounds good, but not that good.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
The SO is underwhelming? Makes more HP and Torque than the 5.7l and out of a V6. Plus, turbo noises. Pssshhhhhh
I doubt you will hear much turbo whisle unless the turbo silencers can be removed like on diesels. But who knows until we can get our hands on them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I doubt you will hear much turbo whisle unless the turbo silencers can be removed like on diesels. But who knows until we can get our hands on them.

That would be cool, on my F150 you just disconnect a re-circulation hose and you can hear the blow-off valve. Common accessory for Ford guys was a plug to cover the hose you disconnected to prevent dirt getting into it since it was near the bottom of the motor.

I really wished RAM would embrace the turbo in a cool way to make it more interesting and novel for the buyers, some personality like an adjustable blow-off valve sound or whatever.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel like they could’ve done a smaller displacement v8 with a turbo

Users who are viewing this thread