5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New 2025 Ram 1500 (TFL truck summary review)

hogger

Reaction score
I'm assuming that's 100% gas mode, I think there will be situations where you won't be using it at all.

If you combine all that the mpg should be much higher.
Yeah, I was looking at the gas only portion of the economy. And of course the eMPG will be higher. I was interested to see what they could wring out of the gas engine by optimizing it's operating point. Guess that part will be saved for gen 2.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking at the gas only portion of the economy. And of course the eMPG will be higher. I was interested to see what they could wring out of the gas engine by optimizing it's operating point. Guess that part will be saved for gen 2.
The engine may actually work harder turning the generator full time than it would propelling a vehicle through a transmission and just maintaining highway speeds at a lower RPM

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bummed about no Hemi (is that horse dead yet?), but glad it won’t make the current Gen look obsolete.

Very curious about the Klipsch stereo in the Tungsten, though I’ll never have it as I can’t see myself in that trim.

But we’re all missing the most important update: there are now 3 usb ports in the center console!!

Having gone through the 12 steps of V8 Anonymous myself a while back when I got into an EcoBoost f150, and then relapsed, I predict folks trying this new engine out to get clean(er emissions) will search high and low for an exhaust that sounds good.

Eventually they’ll come to realize that either:
A) there’s no point putting an exhaust on a 6 cylinder truck, or
B) it will never be a V8 but it can be made to sound kinda cool in its own way.

Then the custom tuning world will open up, keeping things interesting a while longer.

But eventually folks will want their V8 back, despite the on-paper inferiority.

Either way, goodbye Rumblesville; hello Torque Town.
(Gawd, that was even cringier than I’d hoped.).

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The SO is underwhelming? Makes more HP and Torque than the 5.7l and out of a V6. Plus, turbo noises. Pssshhhhhh
Yep. You heard me right.

395 hp 410 lb.-ft.of torque in the Hemi vs 420 horsepower and 469 lb.-ft. of torque in the standard Hurricane isn’t nothing to get real excited about. Sure the numbers are better and come from a 6 cyl but losing a V8 likely forever in a 1/2 ton Ram is a sad day. We all knew it was coming but now it’s reality.

I’m a fan of a Turbo 6 in a Grand National, GNX or Trans Am but not so much in a truck. I’m weird that way.😆

Last edited:

hogger

Reaction score
The engine may actually work harder turning the generator full time than it would propelling a vehicle through a transmission and just maintaining highway speeds at a lower RPM
Sounds like that must be the case. It's just surprising to me. Guess we'll find out more eventually.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else a bit surprised and disappointed after doing the math, and coming up with 20.3mpg for the "gas mode"? I know extra weight for batteries wiring and electric motors, but no trans and drive shaft. I would have thought it could at least achieve the current pentastar hwy mileage of 25mpg since it should be able to operate near it's most efficient point most of the time.

I'm not surprised, nor disappointed.

It is pushing a lot (presumably) of extra weight, but also the physics are that converting mechanical output from an ICE to electricity and then back to mechanical output is not remotely as efficient as just converting that mechanical output from the ICE directly to wheel rotation.

Plus, I'm just going to guess that when you run the battery all the way down and are driving the truck on gas, there will be some of that Pentastar output that will be going to recharging the battery. But, that will be interesting to see. Maybe it has a mode where you use up all the battery and it does no recharging while driving - so you can maximize range from the gasoline, then charge at your destination.

My lifetime average on my last Hemi was 14 MPG. My current average (over 37k miles) in my EcoDiesel is 22.0. If I were to get an actual 20 out of the Ramcharger Pentastar, I would be SUPER happy. After all, with a Ramcharger, I wouldn't be driving it on gas any time except road trips. So, less than stellar gas mileage only makes a small difference in my overall cost per mile.

They are saying 690 miles of range. There is no way it's going to be that driving at 80 MPH (my normal road trip driving speed). But, if I can actually get on the highway and drive 500 miles without stopping, that will be as good or better than I could ever do with my last Hemi and 33 gallon tank.

And, if I can drive 1000 miles without it taking any longer than it would have taken me with my last Hemi (i.e. no extra time required to stop and wait on charging), then I will be super happy.

I just read an article the other day from some blogger who bought a Tesla for doing long trips. He claims it is great. But, he also said that you should just expect the trip to take about 20% longer. And THAT is where my line is and why I wouldn't buy a pure EV. I am not willing to accept a vehicle that takes, really, ANY longer to get where I'm going. My time is worth far more to me than the extra money I spend on fuel for an ICE (versus what it would cost to drive an EV the same distance). When I get off work on Friday and drive 5 or 6 hours to get to where I'm diving the next morning, an extra hour to get there is an hour of sleep lost. Screw that. LOL! :)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. You heard me right.

395 hp 410 lb.-ft.of torque in the Hemi vs 420 horsepower and 469 lb.-ft. of torque in the standard Hurricane isn’t nothing to get real excited about.

Somehow, I just have this feeling that, if they had said they were going to offer a new option to have the 6.4L Hemi in the 1500 and it would offer an extra 25 HP and 60 ft-lbs of torque (plus even bigger gains in the lower RPMs), you would be raving about how awesome that is.... Especially if it was also going to get better gas mileage.

Dewey

Reaction score
Somehow, I just have this feeling that, if they had said they were going to offer a new option to have the 6.4L Hemi in the 1500 and it would offer an extra 25 HP and 60 ft-lbs of torque (plus even bigger gains in the lower RPMs), you would be raving about how awesome that is.... Especially if it was also going to get better gas mileage.
If that was an option to retain the Hemi in addition to the Hurricane I would be extremely pleased but not overly excited about the performance gains. Just having a V8 option still available would be good enough for me.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think overalll…good intentions with everything they are doing. My concern is price. If the base price for the models starts in the $50k…we are in deep trouble.

I’m gonna continue to say that if pricing isn’t not better than the competition, you can pretty much kiss good buy any chance of overtaking gm as a #2 truck seller.

Only reason why they were close 2 years ago because its was cheaper then the other 2.

Price is king here…full size trucks are expensive and getting more expensive. Midsize segment is where it’s at because you can get a lot of truck for $45k.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The SO is also way faster than the Hemi, motortrend tested it at 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in a 6300lb wagoneer L, which is more than a second quicker than the hemi short wheelbase version.
What are you talking about more then a second?
My heavy Limited (just over 6300 lbs) does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, I think you are looking at some made up numbers. I wouldn't consider that "way faster" in any universe.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My heavy Limited (just over 6300 lbs) does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, I think you are looking at some made up numbers. I wouldn't consider that "way faster" in any universe.

He was comparing apples to apples though, both Wagoneers, stated more than a second quicker 0-60 in a Long wheelbase version vs. a short wheelbase Hemi. 1-second is about 8-10 truck lengths by 60 mph, that I would say is way faster.

How that would extrapolate in RAM may not be the same, weight being equal even, we won't know until the 2025 are tested in the field with all the other variables that maybe involved. But I do agree that .4 seconds would not be way quicker, variables such as weather conditions and elevation could play a large role in those differences. I suspect there will be plenty of side by side comparisons coming up, really interested to see how it plays out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You also have a custom tune.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How that would extrapolate in RAM may not be the same, weight being equal even, we won't know until the 2025 are tested in the field with all the other variables that maybe involved. But I do agree that .4 seconds would not be way quicker, variables such as weather conditions and elevation could play a large role in those differences. I suspect there will be plenty of side by side comparisons coming up, really interested to see how it plays out.
Yes I agree
You also have a custom tune.
This is true but I don't think it makes THAT much of a different WOT 0-60

Morottrend says their 2019 Laramie was 6.1 seconds https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2019-ram-1500-laramie-57l-first-test-review/
Car and drive says the same thing 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Is Good Enough to Lure Away Ford and Chevy Loyalists
So .3 seconds

It does say their Laramie weighs 5541 pounds so quite a bit less then my 6300, so I guess it does help a bit it seems.

Phoon

Reaction score
Yes I agree

Morottrend says their 2019 Laramie was 6.1 seconds https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2019-ram-1500-laramie-57l-first-test-review/
Car and drive says the same thing 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab Is Good Enough to Lure Away Ford and Chevy Loyalists
So .3 seconds

It does say their Laramie weighs 5541 pounds so quite a bit less then my 6300, so I guess it does help a bit it seems.
Turns out I was wrong, the SO is 2.1 seconds quicker than the 5.7 hemi. 7.6 seconds vs 5.5.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-jeep-wagoneer-first-test-review/

2 seconds quicker 0-60 is an eternity, I'm not making up numbers here- almost the same truck with just a motor change. If you assume similar results on the ram it will result in a downright fast truck, the High output grand wagoneer with 510 hp is also running less than 5 seconds to 60, they might not sound cool but these new motors definitely make good power.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I agree

So .3 seconds

My best 0-60 bone stock was 6.3. backed up a few times. After installing the Vararam I got to just under 6.1, with nothing else changed. Same day, same road, same process. Launching in 4-high and brake stalking to 1500rpm. I've never been able to get anywhere close to that since. Currently 6.5 0-60 would be a good day.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My best 0-60 bone stock was 6.3. backed up a few times. After installing the Vararam I got to just under 6.1, with nothing else changed. Same day, same road, same process. Launching in 4-high and brake stalking to 1500rpm. I've never been able to get anywhere close to that since. Currently 6.5 0-60 would be a good day.
I still get slower 0-60 doing 4h into 2wd.
4Auto gives me my best 0-60s and I tried several times with your method of changing into 2wd after hitting second gear.

When you mean brake stalking to 1500, you mean revving it in drive with your brake on then letting it? I didn't do that, I guess that would squeeze a bit out as mine was idle at a stoplight. Light turns green brake goes off and same foot goes on the gas in 4auto.

Turns out I was wrong, the SO is 2.1 seconds quicker than the 5.7 hemi. 7.6 seconds vs 5.5.

2 seconds quicker 0-60 is an eternity, I'm not making up numbers here- almost the same truck with just a motor change. If you assume similar results on the ram it will result in a downright fast truck, the High output grand wagoneer with 510 hp is also running less than 5 seconds to 60, they might not sound cool but these new motors definitely make good power.
I don't see any Ram 1500s doing a 7.6 sec 0-60. That's really slow. Even the current Pentastar v6 can do that in an Ram... Until it comes out in a Ram all these numbers are crap, and calling it "way faster" is nonsense. The HO will be faster, but the SO doesn't look like it, which is fine because it's not designed to be that way, putting a turbo on the 5.7 would make it faster, not putting in an tiny engine and slapping a turbo on it, that's meant to cover the gap for the huge decrease in power

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The HO will be faster, but the SO doesn't look like it

It is 25 more HP at peak and 60 more ft-lbs at peak.

At 2000 RPMs, it might be 50 more HP and 100 more ft-lbs than a Hemi at 2000 RPMs. We don't know. But, being a turbo I6, it definitely has the possibility of putting out quite a bit more torque than the Hemi at those lower RPMs. And, as we all know, more torque at any given RPM means more HP at that RPM, by definition.

If it was just a beefed-up Hemi with +25/+60, where the torque curves would be expected to be similar, then yeah, it might not be all that much quicker - but still SOME. But, that turbo torque curve really changes the whole equation.

I suspect the SO will be quicker, and by a non-trivial amount.

Phoon

Reaction score
4Auto gives me my best 0-60s and I tried several times with your method of changing into 2wd after hitting second gear.

When you mean brake stalking to 1500, you mean revving it in drive with your brake on then letting it? I didn't do that, I guess that would squeeze a bit out as mine was idle at a stoplight. Light turns green brake goes off and same foot goes on the gas in 4auto.

I don't see any Ram 1500s doing a 7.6 sec 0-60. That's really slow. Even the current Pentastar v6 can do that in an Ram... Until it comes out in a Ram all these numbers are crap, and calling it "way faster" is nonsense. The HO will be faster, but the SO doesn't look like it, which is fine because it's not designed to be that way, putting a turbo on the 5.7 would make it faster, not putting in an tiny engine and slapping a turbo on it, that's meant to cover the gap for the huge decrease in power
Its hard to reason with some folks. My point is, the SO engine in the Wagoneer made it much faster than the hemi. The same motor change is now happening in the ram so we could reasonably expect similar results. Of course the Ram hemi is faster than the wagoneer hemi because of the weight difference.... therefore the SO Ram should also be faster than the SO wagoneer. It isn't rocket science. SO = significantly faster than 5.7 Hemi.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I dont shift out of 4-high when running 1/8th mile or less. I have seen no benefit. When I did see the benefit of doing that was running a full 1/4 mile race.

And yes, brake stalling is holding the brake and pushing the gas pedal to bring the RPMs up. This helps eliminate some lag in throttle response, and also gets the engine into the power band sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread