5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The New 2025 Ram 1500 (TFL truck summary review)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good video, there are also a ton of just released magazine articles that cover each different trim as well in case you want to see how different variants look.

In the video, they mention that they smoothed out the body work at the front, but it doesn't seem like they changed either the hood or fenders at all. Just the headlights, grill and bumper, the rear appears to be just tail light design.

As far as I can tell, the sheet metal is identical to the current spec. I do like the interior changes and the specs on that extended range EV, but alas no more V8s.

Derek916

Reaction score
Anyone frequent the Wagoneer forums? How are people liking the turbo? I switched to a turbo 4 cyl highlander when gas was going insane last year, and preferred having an easier daily vehicle. Was considering adding a family travel vehicle whether that be minivan or truck next year...I have no issues with my turbo engine, although acceleration isn't as smooth as a v6 or v8.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No hemi no care but exterior looks great which still looks like a newer 5th Gen which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. I'm honestly relieved on how little has changed in the design, our trucks won't look old when this one comes out.

Though I would consider switching to those sleeker headlights and grill once production starts and we can access those parts. Luckily doesn't appear to be any sheet metal changes so refreshing our own trucks seems to be easy.

Dewey

Reaction score
Interesting video.

I like the looks of the truck. Glad they’re not making any drastic changes.

The standard Hurricane is a bit underwhelming. No more HP than the Hemi and losing that great V8 sound. The HO looks pretty exciting but wondering what the up-charge will be for that motor. Either way good to see eTorque isn’t being continued.

The EV using the Pentastar as a battery charger is interesting. Not something I would be interested in but I’m sure that will get a lot of EV fence sitters to jump over with basically unlimited range. I think those will sell much better than the full EV. Smart move by Ram having that option available.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I much welcome the hurricane! I been dreaming for a TT 6cyl for awhile now to consider this the perfect truck!
The ev/gas seems a little silly to me. The concept makes sense, but to have a whole v6 engine just to charge the batteries seems a bit overkill to me without digging too deep into the tech info.

The looks I think looks similar to the current limited so that’s cool.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting video.

The standard Hurricane is a bit underwhelming. No more HP than the Hemi and losing that great V8 sound. The HO looks pretty exciting but wondering what the up-charge will be for that motor. Either way good to see eTorque isn’t being continued.

The EV using the Pentastar as a battery charger is interesting. Not something I would be interested in but I’m sure that will get a lot of EV fence sitters to jump over with basically unlimited range. I think those will sell much better than the full EV. Smart move by Ram having that option available.
The SO is underwhelming? Makes more HP and Torque than the 5.7l and with two less cylinders. Plus, turbo noises. Pssshhhhhh

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The SO is underwhelming? Makes more HP and Torque than the 5.7l and out of a V6. Plus, turbo noises. Pssshhhhhh

My only issue is I haven't heard a good sounding one yet, stock or aftermarket exhaust it doesn't have a pleasant sound like other I6TT tend to have. I guess we'll have to wait a few months to hear how it sounds in the RAM.

On my Ecoboost, I remember using a turbo recirculation plug so I could hear the pssshhhh noises, I did enjoy that.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very excited about the Ramcharger. I was very disappointed when they canceled the EcoDiesel. The Ramcharger looks like a very nice replacement when my current ED is due to be replaced (around 2026).

My last two trucks were Hemis and I do like the sound of them. But, overall, I would choose quiet over a V8 rumble (or any other engine noise). I love how quiet my ED is when I'm on the highway.

I drive quite a bit. I have put 32,000 miles on my current truck in the 16 months I have had it. And I work from home.

I do a lot of very short trips around town. Run to the grocery store. Go out to eat. That kind of thing. And then I do lots of weekend road trips that are generally anywhere from 500 to 1500 miles round trip (and carrying a cab and bed filled with scuba tanks and related gear)

A truck that I can drive around on battery all week (which 145 miles of range should easily allow), and then still do my weekend trips in - without the PITA of hunting down charging stations and waiting - all while also getting really good overall fuel economy is pretty much a perfect scenario for me.

And that 4.4 seconds 0-to-60! Yes, I tend to drive with a lead foot and that sounds awesome. I wonder if the Hurricane HO will do any better than that. I think it can actually do better, but my read is that RAM only claims 4.5 seconds for the TRX. I suspect that a Ramcharger will smoke a TRX in a drag race, if the TRX happens to be set to 2WD mode.

Hmmm.... hopefully that doesn't mean a Ramcharger will be at the same price level as a TRX...

Phoon

Reaction score
Interesting video.

The SO is also way faster than the Hemi, motortrend tested it at 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in a 6300lb wagoneer L, which is more than a second quicker than the hemi short wheelbase version. Not much more power but a really wide torque curve and lots of low end torque. The rams usually weight 5600 lbs or so... maybe slightly lighter with the new motor so should be low 5 second 0-60 compared to low 6 on the hemi. Stock hemi trucks also dont sound especially awesome... nice cold start but pretty muted the rest of the time in stock form.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The SO is also way faster than the Hemi, motortrend tested it at 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in a 6300lb wagoneer L, which is more than a second quicker than the hemi short wheelbase version. Not much more power but a really wide torque curve and lots of low end torque. The rams usually weight 5600 lbs or so... maybe slightly lighter with the new motor so should be low 5 second 0-60 compared to low 6 on the hemi. Stock hemi trucks also dont sound especially awesome... nice cold start but pretty muted the rest of the time in stock form.

I wouldn't own a Hemi with the stock system, too quiet, might as well be a V6 in my mind.

However, a muffler change completely changes the character of that V8, I can have the sound and thunder of a 60s muscle car while still being quiet at constant throttle at highway speeds.

My only issue is I haven't heard a good sounding Hurricane yet, especially with aftermarket exhaust, it sounds very rough and guttural, and not in a good pleasant way.

Though I wouldn't mind a Hurricane PHEV or a RAM Charger in Rebel trim.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You're assuming the RAM will have the traction to take advantage of that lighter weight.

In 2WD, even though it might be 700 # lighter, it probably can't put enough power to the ground to be that much (if any) faster than the Wagoneer L.

Phoon

Reaction score
You're assuming the RAM will have the traction to take advantage of that lighter weight.

In 2WD, even though it might be 700 # lighter, it probably can't put enough power to the ground to be that much (if any) faster than the Wagoneer L.

I;m basing it on a 4x4 truck... up here no one buys 2x4 half tons.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's all dependant on the driver. You can't just smash the gas and expect to not spin in RWD.

hogger

Reaction score
Anyone else a bit surprised and disappointed after doing the math, and coming up with 20.3mpg for the "gas mode"? I know extra weight for batteries wiring and electric motors, but no trans and drive shaft. I would have thought it could at least achieve the current pentastar hwy mileage of 25mpg since it should be able to operate near it's most efficient point most of the time.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Anyone else a bit surprised and disappointed after doing the math, and coming up with 20.3mpg for the "gas mode"? I know extra weight for batteries wiring and electric motors, but no trans and drive shaft. I would have thought it could at least achieve the current pentastar hwy mileage of 25mpg since it should be able to operate near it's most efficient point most of the time.
I'm assuming that's 100% gas mode, I think there will be situations where you won't be using it at all.

If you combine all that the mpg should be much higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online