5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The haunting of preload spacers!!!!

Bee7_ivan

Reaction score
Hello you guys!
I bought the Rough Country 3.5 kit. Now I’m reading that if I want the full 3.5inches in front I will need to add the preload spacer, which “supposedly” will destroy the ride quality. Can I add a 3.5 top hat spacer instead?.
How else can I get the 3.5 inches up in front?

thanks

Stevenc150

Reaction score
...add the preload spacer, which “supposedly” will destroy the ride quality. Can I add a 3.5 top hat spacer instead?
Short answer is yes and my preference is to the top hat...but there are pros & cons for each. also 3.5" is a lot to lift a truck & keep the stock arms

20200612_000219.jpg

Mother

Reaction score
You could use the top hat spacer that comes with that kit and instead of the preload spacer install Bilstein 5100's to get the extra lift. It still comes by way of additional preload, but the shocks are valved to match it and most people find the ride quality good.

Bee7_ivan

Reaction score
You could use the top hat spacer that comes with that kit and instead of the preload spacer install Bilstein 5100's to get the extra lift. It still comes by way of additional preload, but the shocks are valved to match it and most people find the ride quality good.
What would I have to set the bilstein setting to so I can get the 3.5 lift with the RC Top hat?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3.5" spacer? On the factory strut? With factory A-arms?

Boy, you're askin' for trouble. Good luck with that.

Mother

Reaction score
What would I have to set the bilstein setting to so I can get the 3.5 lift with the RC Top hat?

I don't have personal experience with doing this setup, but if you search around I know there are several that have done it with the Readylift 3.5" lift. Can probably find a good starting point.

Bee7_ivan

Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with doing this setup, but if you search around I know there are several that have done it with the Readylift 3.5" lift. Can probably find a good starting point.
Ready lift and RC 3.5 is essentially the same . But regardless of the brand everyone says that the preload spacer destroys your ride comfort

Users who are viewing this thread