5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Air Dam Debate

DustyNv

Reaction score
Agree. I removed both the active and stationary air dams and have had no difference in mpg's. And, in my opinion, the truck looks better both from the front and the side as the stationary air dam hangs quite low. Plus, when the active one deployed, it left barely any clearance, and I ended up banging up a few times. My truck has a 3.5" Rough Country suspension lift that includes correct angle upper control arms, and the mono-tube shock option. Although my truck is lifted with 35x12.5r22 Mud Terrains, I had removed these things well before the lift. I saw no loss or gain in mpg's. Obviously, if your truck is lifted with bigger tires, it's a no-brainer that the air dams will be useless. My experience is that they are useless anyway. I think the truck looks much better without the air dam.

Alec
Hello, would there be any reason for some type of engine bay protectant across the front area that would now be exposed? Thank!

DustyNv

Reaction score
I see no reason to remove it. Unless you need extra clearance for something. Outside of that I couldn't see any logical reason to remove it.
Hi, I’m somewhat curious about this topic as I negotiate some mountain passes in the winter and we get much snow on them and would hate to rip the plastic off and or damage the active part as well. I might need to consider removing both units. Your thoughts?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are a few options. More than likely requires removing the air dam under the bumper well. Here’s one thread. you can also search the forum for more

Users who are viewing this thread