5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If my rear window starts leaking, I'm not going to d!ck around with the dealer, just to have another defective rear window installed. I'll buy a solid rear window and have my local glass shop install it. $300-400 out of pocket and the problem is solved.

Last edited:

BAB5324

Reaction score
I don’t understand why some trucks fall within the extended warranty and some don’t. Makes no sense
Don’t worry, you’re not missing anything but another headache. Mine is covered but the parts have been on back order since December 6, 2023. Every time the parts are supposed to come in they get pushed back a month. This week is the 3rd time I’ve been told a new date. Going on 5 months now. And just last week the cables snapped out the the sliding rear window track and broke the housing. Now I have a leaking broke rear window that doesn’t work. Meantime I have 7 cracks in the backlite. Water pours in all 7 cracks. Have to garage it; can’t drive when it’s raining or going to rain. It’s pretty much unusable.

Av1

Reaction score
If my rear window starts leaking, I'm not going to d!ck around with the dealer, just to have another defective rear window installed. I'll buy a solid rear window and have my local glass shop install it. $300-400 out of pocket and the problem is solved.

That's what I will do too. I don't open the sliding window anyways.

rkjunior

Reaction score
Will adding a bead of silicone around the window trim help the leak if you have the crack and are stuck pending parts? My truck doesn't fit in the garage LOL

Stony0604

Reaction score
I am also going through this. Ram service department told me it should be covered. They also did state that for whatever reason, not all rams are covered for the window crack, and she didn't really understand why either. Here's my thread. Ram Leak

Machinetools1

Reaction score
We live in an area that is very dry and arid and sees about 8 inches a year. I purchased my truck about a month ago. It rained here last night, and I have a water leak. It appears to be coming from the third brake light. I purchased a new smoked third light from Amazon. I will go ahead and put a new gasket and silicone the third light and the shark fin for added safety.

My truck has a build date of 12/20.2021 as it states on the inner driver's door. The window sticker states 12/16 so not sure of the actual build date. Is there a way to tell the difference between the new style rear window frame and the old style. I have no cracks in my window frame, just asking what the difference might be.

Attachments

• 1C6SRFJM4MN610521_windowSticker.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 7

rkjunior

Reaction score
What up in the headliner by the back window aside from the antenna? Anything to cause weird ignition/electrical issues? Car shut off 2 times today while driving -- looked down and it was in ACC. I had to pull over, shut it off, and restart it. Made it 45 min to work and the ignition button was off, with "RUN" not illuminated - and I couldn't shut the truck off. Drove over to a RAM dealership couple miles from my office and the button lit up again. Got the truck to shut off in the Service bay but then it wouldn't start, the entire truck went dark for about 30 seconds then reset. And started. I'm about ready to cut my losses and trade it in.

rkjunior

Reaction score
Side note, is there anything that would keep FCA from adding the XL1 coverage to what seems a truck that falls in the appropriate window? The TSB states all trucks MFG on or before Sept 30th 2020. My truck is MFG 2-19 per the sticker on the doorjam.. I should have this coverage, no?

1713200215571.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Side note, is there anything that would keep FCA from adding the XL1 coverage to what seems a truck that falls in the appropriate window? The TSB states all trucks MFG on or before Sept 30th 2020. My truck is MFG 2-19 per the sticker on the doorjam.. I should have this coverage, no?

View attachment 181138
It seems that this warranty extension does not cover all trucks built on or before 30 Sept. Many people (including me) are finding that their VIN's aren't included in this TSB. Go to the Owner's section of the ramtrucks.com website and enter your VIN to see which (if any) warranty extensions apply to your truck. Ram/Stellantis are providing no explanation as to why trucks that obviously should be included are in fact not.

rkjunior

Reaction score
It seems that this warranty extension does not cover all trucks built on or before 30 Sept. Many people (including me) are finding that their VIN's aren't included in this TSB. Go to the Owner's section of the ramtrucks.com website and enter your VIN to see which (if any) warranty extensions apply to your truck. Ram/Stellantis are providing no explanation as to why trucks that obviously should be included are in fact not.

Mine currently only has the XG1. I have a case open right now to fight the XL1. I have a cracked rear backlite and now Im having RF module issues. My truck shut off on me twice while driving and its becoming a safety issue.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine currently only has the XG1. I have a case open right now to fight the XL1. I have a cracked rear backlite and now Im having RF module issues. My truck shut off on me twice while driving and its becoming a safety issue.
This is the exact reason I have felt this should be a full recall. When the RF hub dies everything else dies too. Not a good thing whether you're driving 75 mph down the interstate or 25 mph on a residential street.

Stony0604

Reaction score
This is the exact reason I have felt this should be a full recall. When the RF hub dies everything else dies too. Not a good thing whether you're driving 75 mph down the interstate or 25 mph on a residential street.
Jesus Christ that's scary. I can't believe they didn't issue a recall for this. I got lucky and had it die while in my driveway, I can't imagine having it die while doing 80MPH at 5:00am on the way to work

rkjunior

Reaction score
Update on my truck, which is a 2019 Rebel with 80K. FCA is covering all materials for the repair -- the back replacement window and the RF hub. My servicing dealer won't give me a full credit on labor, which is normally around $800 -- they settled on $467. Apparently "it's a third party doing the glass replacement and we're losing money on it". My issue is FCA is acknowledging there is an issue enough to cover $2000+ in parts but yet not the labor? It seems like the service manager is doing everything they can so I'm attempting to contact the GM of the dealer as a next step.

Anyone ever successfully take them to small claims on something like this? I feel like with the support of the TSB, which doesn't specify why my truck is NOT covered - it could be a winnable judgement in my favor. It's only $467 but the principle behind it since no one can tell me why it's not covered even though it meets all the criteria.

JRD

Reaction score
Is it worth the headache?
I would take the deal and spend my precious time doing something that I enjoy.
Amen. i was lucky enough to bed my window replace for free, now i'm waiting to hear back about my back seat which has water damage. i know $500 means more to some than others, but i also would rather be doing something other than arguing over $500 bucks. plus i can confirm it is an outside party doing the installation

rkjunior

Reaction score
100% agree that it's an outside party doing the glasswork. Part of it is I just don't want to lose. hahaha. I agree the $467 probably isn't worth the hassle but I'll see what the GM has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread