5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

Blizzak454

Reaction score
Well we know exactly what's going on here don't we? '19 Limited, 65k with the dreaded dual cracks. Did the base of the shark fin with black RTV while I was there. I had silicone'd the entire top of the window gap previously to no avail, but didnt use "flowable" silicone. Went back and made my own using mineral spirits and better filled in the area above the sliding window. I then black RTV'ed the entire horizontal line (I didnt like being able to see the so-called clear silicone, yay OCD). Due to imminent rain from Hurricane Debbie, I taped the crap out of every seam to allow time for the silicone to cure. I have orded a new CHMSL gasket from Detroit Muscle Technologies as well and plan to put that in too. I don't know what's next if all that fails. Truck was purchased through Carmax with extended coverage, so if none of the above works, I'll attempt a claim through them for a new rear pane.
1000008241.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well we know exactly what's going on here don't we? '19 Limited, 65k with the dreaded dual cracks. Did the base of the shark fin with black RTV while I was there. I had silicone'd the entire top of the window gap previously to no avail, but didnt use "flowable" silicone. Went back and made my own using mineral spirits and better filled in the area above the sliding window. I then black RTV'ed the entire horizontal line (I didnt like being able to see the so-called clear silicone, yay OCD). Due to imminent rain from Hurricane Debbie, I taped the crap out of every seam to allow time for the silicone to cure. I have orded a new CHMSL gasket from Detroit Muscle Technologies as well and plan to put that in too. I don't know what's next if all that fails. Truck was purchased through Carmax with extended coverage, so if none of the above works, I'll attempt a claim through them for a new rear pane.
View attachment 187617
I did the whole back glass and shark fin as well. I also put LED bubs in the CHMSL and seal it, and put some under the black strips on either side of the cab. They snap on, and take some persuasion to lift up. Definitely recommend doing that.

1723136103252.png

Attachments

• 1723136060846.png
    1723136060846.png
    539.1 KB · Views: 0

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 187617
Just so you know, if you're trying to keep water out you'll need to also seal up the areas where the roof channels meet the window. It's probably not something that's even possible unless you cover the cab with a tarp, or tape them off from front to back. I'm referring to the circled areas in theblet's pic.

Users who are viewing this thread