5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, mine is cracked in 2 places above the rear sliding window.
Its not leaking right now as far as I can tell.
Will the dealer still replace it?
Or is it not worth messing with if its not leaking?
View attachment 115009 View attachment 115011 View attachment 115012
I'm not sure they would replace it if it's not leaking, but the only way to know for sure is to take it in as ask about it. My wife's rear window is cracked almost exactly the same way. Hers isn't leaking either yet, but we've been watching it closely since fall started.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure they would replace it if it's not leaking, but the only way to know for sure is to take it in as ask about it. My wife's rear window is cracked almost exactly the same way. Hers isn't leaking either yet, but we've been watching it closely since fall started.
They will replace it. They aren't going to test if it is leaking. Just say it is and get it fixed. Had mine fixed. They came out and took pics and sent it in to FCA and it was approved and replaced. Easy.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, mine is cracked in 2 places above the rear sliding window.
Its not leaking right now as far as I can tell.
Will the dealer still replace it?
Or is it not worth messing with if its not leaking?
View attachment 115009 View attachment 115011 View attachment 115012
There is a good chance that’s your 3rd brake light seal, mine started leaking in those two same spots after 33K miles.
I ran to Home Depot and got some rubber weather stripping to replace the OEM seal and it hasn’t leaked since I did that. The factory seal is terrible, some sort of foam, not really rubber which baffled me.

JCK_25

Reaction score
After reading numerous posts on this topic I checked mine & sure enough it's cracked in the same two places. No leaks yet but I'm confident the dealer will take care of it since I'm still under the 3yr/36k. Question is, how long does the replacement take? Should I expect to be without my truck for a day(s)/week? I usually just wait for the service to be done (like the rear brake issue) and work out if the waiting room. Also, any confirmation if the issue is fixed with the 2021 part (or possibly 2022)?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CharlieP

Reaction score
I would like to know how many that have the leak have installed the Hellwig rear sway bar. I am thinking too much frame flex without the Hellwig, But just a thought

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
After reading numerous posts on this topic I checked mine & sure enough it's cracked in the same two places. No leaks yet but I'm confident the dealer will take care of it since I'm still under the 3yr/36k. Question is, how long does the replacement take? Should I expect to be without my truck for a day(s)/week? I usually just wait for the service to be done (like the rear brake issue) and work out if the waiting room. Also, any confirmation if the issue is fixed with the 2021 part (or possibly 2022)?

They "should" be able to do the work in a day, once they get the parts in. My daughter had to wait for about a month for the parts to come in. Once they were in, she dropped off the truck and picked it up the next day. I don't know how long it actually took, but I doubt you'll want to sit in the waiting room for that long. I'd try arranging a loaner with the dealership before you take it in.

JCK_25

Reaction score
They "should" be able to do the work in a day, once they get the parts in. My daughter had to wait for about a month for the parts to come in. Once they were in, she dropped off the truck and picked it up the next day. I don't know how long it actually took, but I doubt you'll want to sit in the waiting room for that long. I'd try arranging a loaner with the dealership before you take it in.
Thanks, appreciate the insight!

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I would like to know how many that have the leak have installed the Hellwig rear sway bar. I am thinking too much frame flex without the Hellwig, But just a thought
I have hellwig no cracks yet on a 2020 knock on wood. My question is are the ones cracking in cold weather climates. Could it be caused by the expansion and shrinking of the metal. I’m in Florida doesn’t get awfully cold here except this week. Maybe someone should poll where people live that have the cracks. Probably not it but just a thought.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed it about 2 weeks after buying the truck new and had to have the rear window replaced due to the crack. The frame flexing should have no cause for that.

JCK_25

Reaction score
I have hellwig no cracks yet on a 2020 knock on wood. My question is are the ones cracking in cold weather climates. Could it be caused by the expansion and shrinking of the metal. I’m in Florida doesn’t get awfully cold here except this week. Maybe someone should poll where people live that have the cracks. Probably not it but just a thought.
I thought of this as well. I live in Pittsburgh so we do have all four seasons. Would also like to know what was changed on the replacement window/frame that'll prevent this from happening again.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I don't remember how many miles were on my truck when I installed it, but I have the Hellwig bar and mine cracked well after my warranty expired and ram still fixed it for free.

bbetts00

Reaction score
I'm at 45k miles on my 2019, and the back glass has started to leak. The frame is cracked - identical to OP and @Saddlerocker. Assuming dealer won't do anything out of warranty, what is the preferred DIY solution? From what I've read, I'm planning to remove the CHMSL, remove and discard the foam OEM gasket, place a bead of butyl window weld around the outside, and reinstall the CHMSL. Sound about right?

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I'm at 45k miles on my 2019, and the back glass has started to leak. The frame is cracked - identical to OP and @Saddlerocker. Assuming dealer won't do anything out of warranty, what is the preferred DIY solution? From what I've read, I'm planning to remove the CHMSL, remove and discard the foam OEM gasket, place a bead of butyl window weld around the outside, and reinstall the CHMSL. Sound about right?
Although I have not had the cracked frame and leak as of yet I believe fixing the gasket on 3rd brake light won’t fix the leak from the cracked frame. If mine cracks and ram won’t fix it I have already been thinking about filling the void above the back glass on outside of the truck with a nice clean bead of black silicone.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Silicone should seal that up. Probably won't be an issue on the window, but I wouldn't use window weld or silicone on the CHMSL if you ever want to be able to replace a light bulb. A replacement light is pretty inexpensive if your warranty is expired. But like Otis said, sealing the CHMSL won't stop a leak from a cracked window frame.

bbetts00

Reaction score
If the leak is from the crack in the window frame, wouldn't it be preferred to use a butyl-based sealant rather than silicone?

Wwbar

Reaction score
Wow, just bought a 2019 1500 Laramie this weekend from CarMax and didn't notice ever so slight staining in the rear headliner. Barely visible unless you're looking for it. Was doing plenty of research here a out the brake light and then came across the posts about the cracked rear window. And what do you know, I have the two cracks on the right and left edge of the rear window. So...

Im at 38k miles, so outside of the B2B, but I have a 90 day warranty/4000 mile limited through CarMax for frame and body (not sure that covers windows ), and a 30 day no questions asked return. Love the truck so far. But this window issue has me spooked. Thoughts?

Camelot

Reaction score
I second that. Return it. If Not only do you need a new rear window, but I would ask for a new headliner as well.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, just bought a 2019 1500 Laramie this weekend from CarMax and didn't notice ever so slight staining in the rear headliner. Barely visible unless you're looking for it. Was doing plenty of research here a out the brake light and then came across the posts about the cracked rear window. And what do you know, I have the two cracks on the right and left edge of the rear window. So...

Im at 38k miles, so outside of the B2B, but I have a 90 day warranty/4000 mile limited through CarMax for frame and body (not sure that covers windows ), and a 30 day no questions asked return. Love the truck so far. But this window issue has me spooked. Thoughts?
No reason to return it unless carmax refuses to fix the issue and replace the headliner if that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread