5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Age Old Debate - Which suspension is best for me?

samaraijax

Reaction score
Picked up a 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel V8 Hemi last December and can't wait any longer to start modding it up. Got some money saved up to get wheels, 35s, and level it. I live in the city and daily drive it, but we also have some land in west Texas that we visit at least 6 times a year. I also do at least one backcountry hunt/camping trip a year and get into some pretty rough places. The dirt roads and fields at the ranch are pretty brutal on shocks, so I want to get something that will last and hold up, but looking at $4k plus on Carli or Fox 2.5 hurts a bit. What do you guys recommend? Will the Bilstein 6112 or Fox 2.0 be enough since I'm not bajaing through the desert, or should I look into something more substantial?

mplaramie

Reaction score
I have run Bill's, ICON and now BDS w/Fox DSC. All 2.5" to 3" kits. Do mostly pavement driving. The BDS with the Fox DSC front and 2.0 rears is great. Much better ride than both the Bill's and ICON. Plus, you get some adjustabilty that is nice. That's my two cents if it helps......

samaraijax

Reaction score
I have run Bill's, ICON and now BDS w/Fox DSC. All 2.5" to 3" kits. Do mostly pavement driving. The BDS with the Fox DSC front and 2.0 rears is great. Much better ride than both the Bill's and ICON. Plus, you get some adjustabilty that is nice. That's my two cents if it helps......
Is this the kit you are referring to? How necessary is it to get all the BDS parts instead of just the Fox suspension?

mplaramie

Reaction score
I did this one. Mine is a Laramie non ORP. The kit I used can be used on your rebel but the net lift to a Rebel is -1" vs non ORP trucks. The kit you looked at is basically a non ORP 4" lift so a Rebel nets 3". I personally wanted to stay away from altering my Ram by adding a bunch of brackets, diff drop, etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531_113848_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_113848_Chrome.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20

samaraijax

Reaction score
I did this one. Mine is a Laramie non ORP. The kit I used can be used on your rebel but the net lift to a Rebel is -1" vs non ORP trucks. The kit you looked at is basically a non ORP 4" lift so a Rebel nets 3". I personally wanted to stay away from altering my Ram by adding a bunch of brackets, diff drop, etc.
This seems like a solid set up! Thank you for the recommendation.

samaraijax

Reaction score
Do you have any issues with the fox 2.5 fronts for every day use? Some people were saying they were pretty stiff on the road.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

mplaramie

Reaction score
Do you have any issues with the fox 2.5 fronts for every day use? Some people were saying they were pretty stiff on the road.
Non at all. You have low and high speed adjustability with the Fox DSC so you can dial in the ride to your liking. The Bill's and ICON were stiff for city but kinda plush 55 mph and above. Also, alot of the ride stiffness people get is from going to an AT Load E tire.

You can also look at Eibach kits. You would need to add UCA'S just like you would with Bill's.

samaraijax

Reaction score
Non at all. You have low and high speed adjustability with the Fox DSC so you can dial in the ride to your liking. The Bill's and ICON were stiff for city but kinda plush 55 mph and above. Also, alot of the ride stiffness people get is from going to an AT Load E tire.

You can also look at Eibach kits. You would need to add UCA'S just like you would with Bill's.
Feeling pretty good about the 3in BDS Lift with the fox 2.5 like you both recommended. The only thing that is concerning is they say it fits up to 33in tires. I imagine you can go to 35s with some trimming?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Fox 2.0's have been having issues for some time. I'd stay clear of them for now. The Fox 2.5 Performance Elites currently have the most adjustability in the market and are absolutely outstanding. But, you gotta pay for them. For your particular situation I would recommend the Bilstein 5100's. You use the stock Coils which are just fine. So you save a pile of money and have the very best entry level leveling kit that can be had. They will last you for years and give a great ride. I had them on two trucks. It's just that when you move on to serious dedicated off roading that you may need to graduate to a more expensive set up. If you want a deeper discussion on it just let me know.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when people complain about those being too stiff, that simply means they don't know how to adjust the DSC or they never did. Or, they maxed out the front at 3" so suspension travel is reduced, which makes the ride stiffer because the shock cannot compress and rebound as much. Maxing out the front at 3" is a common mistake a lot of people make... they trade "suspension performance" for "looks."

5100s are the baseline for lift kits. Get those and throw a set of quality UCAs and you're good. Steer away from ICONs. We don't carry them at the shop anymore because of quality issues (leaking within 6 months of install) but I've seen the pin tops sheering off (happened quite often), billet UCA sheering off, and premature blown or leaks from customers and friends of friends who run them.

Another cost effective and simple plug and play option is the Ironman 4x4 kit. Foam Cell Pro 2" Suspension Lift Kit Suited For 2019+ Ram 1500 - Stage 2
Comes with everything you need. They are on sale right now so great time to get them (website listed as out of stock, maybe contact them to see how to proceed)

Alternatively, you can just get the Carli 2.0 Commuter System: https://www.carlisuspension.com/pro...2019-suspension-systems/commuter-system-2019/
Great package with Carli's tuning and comes with everything you need. No more headache on which additional component you need.

If you want adjustability, Fox 2.5 DSC is the way to go. You DO NOT need to get the BDS kit, just throw a set of UCAs and you're good. With Fox 2.5 DSC, you have the ability to do on and offroad mode. My on-road setting is comfortable for long pavement drive:
  • I did a 12 hour drive this past weekend from Grand Canyon North to SoCal and it was comfortable
  • I did a 4 days round trip from SoCal to Montana and it was awesome
  • Did a 1500 miles round trip last Memorial Day weekend in 3 days, and it was so comfortable it made me yawn
  • Did a 1200 miles round trip last Labor Day weekend in 3 days, including pulling an all-nighter and it was so comfortable made me zone out on those long dark highways
  • Not to count all those 800-1000 miles weekend trips... all piece of cake
offroad wise, when my friends with BIlsteins or other non-race orientated shocks were struggling with washboards with stuff rattling around in their rigs, I was just cruising along in comfort enjoying the ride. On flatter dirt roads or dirt roads with smaller washboards, I can open it up and hit 60-70 mph and the truck wants more, while my friends top out at 40 or so.

Now, if you carry constant load in the bed, then you will want to invest in some quality rear springs (and rear end links). Carli's multi-rate rear springs are great for that: they are designed to hold up to 500lb constant load without squatting, and even with under 500lb load, they are not too stiff or bouncy either. That's because the incorporated "tender spring" design is built in to absorb the weight.

Also, when running 35s, you need to pay attention to the tire spec and UCA clearance. Make sure you're running at least -12mm offset (or 4.5" backspacing) to clear the UCA, and just trim the plastic fender liner to avoid rubbing. See here: 35x12.5R18 on Performance Orientated Lift - a Overview, Procedure, and Review.

See this for my full review and analysis on the Fox 2.5 DSC: Fox 2.5 DSC Suspension - A Brief Overview, Procedure, and Review of Proper Suspension Setup

Current setup with Fox 2.5 DSC all around, Carli UCA, Carli Rebel HD Rear Springs, and Carli Rear End Links with ~700lb in the bed (went over the 500lb rating by 200lb)
1717231679435.png
As you can see, no squatting in the back and still sits pretty level

Last year's setup: Same suspension, but with about 300lb in the bed (summer camping load, no camper) and it sat at the same height in the rear
1717231842770.png

samaraijax

Reaction score
when people complain about those being too stiff, that simply means they don't know how to adjust the DSC or they never did. Or, they maxed out the front at 3" so suspension travel is reduced, which makes the ride stiffer because the shock cannot compress and rebound as much. Maxing out the front at 3" is a common mistake a lot of people make... they trade "suspension performance" for "looks."

5100s are the baseline for lift kits. Get those and throw a set of quality UCAs and you're good. Steer away from ICONs. We don't carry them at the shop anymore because of quality issues (leaking within 6 months of install) but I've seen the pin tops sheering off (happened quite often), billet UCA sheering off, and premature blown or leaks from customers and friends of friends who run them.

Another cost effective and simple plug and play option is the Ironman 4x4 kit. Foam Cell Pro 2" Suspension Lift Kit Suited For 2019+ Ram 1500 - Stage 2
Comes with everything you need. They are on sale right now so great time to get them (website listed as out of stock, maybe contact them to see how to proceed)

Alternatively, you can just get the Carli 2.0 Commuter System: https://www.carlisuspension.com/pro...2019-suspension-systems/commuter-system-2019/
Great package with Carli's tuning and comes with everything you need. No more headache on which additional component you need.

If you want adjustability, Fox 2.5 DSC is the way to go. You DO NOT need to get the BDS kit, just throw a set of UCAs and you're good. With Fox 2.5 DSC, you have the ability to do on and offroad mode. My on-road setting is comfortable for long pavement drive:
  • I did a 12 hour drive this past weekend from Grand Canyon North to SoCal and it was comfortable
  • I did a 4 days round trip from SoCal to Montana and it was awesome
  • Did a 1500 miles round trip last Memorial Day weekend in 3 days, and it was so comfortable it made me yawn
  • Did a 1200 miles round trip last Labor Day weekend in 3 days, including pulling an all-nighter and it was so comfortable made me zone out on those long dark highways
  • Not to count all those 800-1000 miles weekend trips... all piece of cake
offroad wise, when my friends with BIlsteins or other non-race orientated shocks were struggling with washboards with stuff rattling around in their rigs, I was just cruising along in comfort enjoying the ride. On flatter dirt roads or dirt roads with smaller washboards, I can open it up and hit 60-70 mph and the truck wants more, while my friends top out at 40 or so.

Now, if you carry constant load in the bed, then you will want to invest in some quality rear springs (and rear end links). Carli's multi-rate rear springs are great for that: they are designed to hold up to 500lb constant load without squatting, and even with under 500lb load, they are not too stiff or bouncy either. That's because the incorporated "tender spring" design is built in to absorb the weight.

Also, when running 35s, you need to pay attention to the tire spec and UCA clearance. Make sure you're running at least -12mm offset (or 4.5" backspacing) to clear the UCA, and just trim the plastic fender liner to avoid rubbing. See here: 35x12.5R18 on Performance Orientated Lift - a Overview, Procedure, and Review.

See this for my full review and analysis on the Fox 2.5 DSC: Fox 2.5 DSC Suspension - A Brief Overview, Procedure, and Review of Proper Suspension Setup

Current setup with Fox 2.5 DSC all around, Carli UCA, Carli Rebel HD Rear Springs, and Carli Rear End Links with ~700lb in the bed (went over the 500lb rating by 200lb)
View attachment 184142
As you can see, no squatting in the back and still sits pretty level

Last year's setup: Same suspension, but with about 300lb in the bed (summer camping load, no camper) and it sat at the same height in the rear
View attachment 184144
Great info, thank you so much for sharing. The Carli commuter system is enticing. I also wonder if I go the buy once cry once method and get those fox 2.5 DSCs. I like that it’s adjustable and I know it will be a great ride.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info, thank you so much for sharing. The Carli commuter system is enticing. I also wonder if I go the buy once cry once method and get those fox 2.5 DSCs. I like that it’s adjustable and I know it will be a great ride.
yeah if you can do the 2.5 just go ahead and do it.
i'd say do the Carli Performance but for on street driving it is on the stiffer side. it requires you to go high speed and hit those dips, bumps, train tracks, etc hard to get them to work. You will get used to them, especially if you come from cars designed to go fast in canyons or handle-orientated cars, then they should be fine.

I mean, it is a magical feeling when you're overtaking those regular traffic on twisties with the lifted truck with ~600lb in the bed lol

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Boogielander said, just do the Fox 2.5's. If you actually need heavier coils just talk to Fox. they can set you up. I doubt seriously that you would. There are several Fox vids and general YouTube vids on adjusting the shocks. It's easy to do but you actually have to do it. You have to get under the truck to adjust the rears. I do it while I'm airing up and down as I have different settings for on and off road. You'll need to tinker both on and off road to get them adjusted where you want them. I assure you that you never had a ride like this before.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As Boogielander said, just do the Fox 2.5's. If you actually need heavier coils just talk to Fox. they can set you up. I doubt seriously that you would. There are several Fox vids and general YouTube vids on adjusting the shocks. It's easy to do but you actually have to do it. You have to get under the truck to adjust the rears. I do it while I'm airing up and down as I have different settings for on and off road. You'll need to tinker both on and off road to get them adjusted where you want them. I assure you that you never had a ride like this before.
this thing helps A LOT with the large knob!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WTH??? I never knew. Dunno if it's worth $30 but it's definitely useful.
oh yes it is worth the $30!
i used to just leave it in offroad settings but now I adjust the front back to on road and offroad every time i air down.
i leave the rear because i don't wnna get down there lol

Users who are viewing this thread