5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFL Trucks - 2025 Ram 1500

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Spoken by another guy who has never owned a truck with ramboxes. That Tungsten will be so heavy you'd probably exceed payload if you and three friends take your clubs and hit the links. Unless you're hauling marshmallows you can't fill the bed anyway because of the payload hit. Who will buy a Tungsten and actually use it as a truck? Most buyers will be using it for what it is...a luxury vehicle. Obviously there will be people who will tow with it, but anyone not made of money who will use their truck as a truck will not be buying a Tungsten model. I've owned three trucks with the rambox option and have never not been able to haul what I need to because of it.

I don't like the idea of being forced into options I don't want.
I don't care how good the ramboxes are, 4x4 or the 3.92 gear, I don't want those items.
The tungsten will probably be heavy and have a low payload, not having ramboxes and 4x4 would help lighten the truck and the 3.21 would help with mpg.

Then there's the cost to have it $90k.
I already have a house payment .

I'd love to have a tungsten, I6 HO and all but not with 4x4, ramboxes and the 3.92 gear abd certainly not $85-90k.

I'm kinda surprised it doesn't include MFT, it may as well

BowDown

Reaction score
But how else will Ram pump that MSRP up? Honestly, if you can afford a Tungsten, you'll likely trade the truck in shortly before or after the warranty is expired. Or get the Mopar Factory ESP out to 8yrs/125k miles, and don't worry about it.

My current truck is the first I've had with the power boards, and I've come to like them. But I'm sure you can remove them and put on fixed side steps (that was my original plan when I bought it, but I'm not driving it enough to do anything about it).

I've searched about removing them. Yes you can replace them, but apparently it starts throwing all kind of codes and error messages. One guy said it caused his air suspension to longer work.
My question has always been, what happens if you live in area where you get a lot of snow, like Buffalo. All that snow and ice buildup I'm sure does wonders for the motor life, if they even work at all under those conditions.

I live a little east of Buffalo and no issues with the power steps. To be fair, i had them for 1 year on my 23 and a couple months on the 24. However, I wouldn't trust air suspension in our climate.

Honestly, I was undecided about the power running boards when I was looking, I hate running boards, all of them but I was ok with the powered units that tucked away when not in use, give the truck a cleaner look.

I've now come to like them for their convenience and the fact that they tuck away.
The airide was also questionable but after having it, there's no way I'd not get it again but that's me. I'm sure others feel the same towards the options keeping me from the tungsten

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Glad the Ramboxes work for you.
My bed has been filled to capacity with boxes, bags, etc on many vacation trips. Also, there have been other times hauling various things where the full bed was needed. The Ramboxes would reduce what I can fit in the bed. They are of no use to me.
They should be a delete option on the Tungsten.
I have a similar dislike for the air suspension and the power side steps you are forced into on the Limited. I prefer fixed side steps for the simplicity and the protection from parking dings and road debris hitting the side of the truck. The air suspension is just a major repair waiting to happen once the warranty is gone.
The higher trim Ram's are not work trucks, they are not designed to be sold to you, people with lots of money and less sense.
Everything you listed should in fact be an option.
We also don't need 7 different trims for a single truck each with random al optional equipment.
The power steps you can remove and sell if you want but it's fine for door dings. When I park I go in the highest air suspension mode and leave my power steps deployed, you don't need to let them retract in while parked.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
The higher trim Ram's are not work trucks, they are not designed to be sold to you, people with lots of money and less sense.
Everything you listed should in fact be an option.
We also don't need 7 different trims for a single truck each with random al optional equipment.
The power steps you can remove and sell if you want but it's fine for door dings. When I park I go in the highest air suspension mode and leave my power steps deployed, you don't need to let them retract in while parked.
Because "lots of money and less sense" belong in the same sentence...Sure.
Actually, it is a lot simpler than that. I think the reveal lines for the doors on the box look like a$$.
That is why it was the only option i didn't get with my '20.
Regardless of the cost, if I don't like the way it looks, I am not buying it. I also am sensible enough to know I would never use them.

BowDown

Reaction score
Actually, it is a lot simpler than that. I think the reveal lines for the doors on the box look like a$$.
Regardless of the cost, if I don't like the way it looks, I am not buying it. I also am sensible enough to know I would never use them.

I agree. I'm sure the ramboxes are useful, I just don't like the look

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm sure the ramboxes are useful, I just don't like the look
I get it. They can look bad. If looks are that important to you they you probably shouldn't get them. I take pride in how all my vehicles look, and spend plenty of time cleaning and detailing them. I wasn't too pleased with how the lids looked on my first 5th gen with ramboxes. So I purchased the special tool for adjusting the lids, as well as figured out a way to adjust them even more for a much better fit. In the end the lids are a bad design. They really should have made the applique (painted part) out of sheet metal instead of plastic. In the end I'm more happy with the functionality than unhappy with how they look. Which seems to be the case for most people who opt for them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get it. They can look bad. If looks are that important to you they you probably shouldn't get them. I take pride in how all my vehicles look, and spend plenty of time cleaning and detailing them. I wasn't too pleased with how the lids looked on my first 5th gen with ramboxes. So I purchased the special tool for adjusting the lids, as well as figured out a way to adjust them even more for a much better fit. In the end the lids are a bad design. They really should have made the applique (painted part) out of sheet metal instead of plastic. In the end I'm more happy with the functionality than unhappy with how they look. Which seems to be the case for most people who opt for them.
I struggle with that tool to adjust them still lol.
I noticed my driver side leaks on the back if I spray it with a pressure washer now (I also adjusted the rubber stop to have it sit flush going outwards)
I feel like i'm going to Hercules the hinge off when I use the "essential tool"
All that said I LOVE my Ramboxes

raskyr1

Reaction score
How much are they now?
I'm seeing them listed at 20% off at my local dealer. I lease my trucks though. They had $4000 lease cash, $8000 off MSRP, $4000 trade equity from my '21 lease, and the lease rate was only .31% (APR). (39/10 lease, $673/mo)

raskyr1

Reaction score
Spoken by another guy who has never owned a truck with ramboxes. That Tungsten will be so heavy you'd probably exceed payload if you and three friends take your clubs and hit the links. Unless you're hauling marshmallows you can't fill the bed anyway because of the payload hit. Who will buy a Tungsten and actually use it as a truck? Most buyers will be using it for what it is...a luxury vehicle. Obviously there will be people who will tow with it, but anyone not made of money who will use their truck as a truck will not be buying a Tungsten model. I've owned three trucks with the rambox option and have never not been able to haul what I need to because of it.
I'm not a fan of the Ram Box either. I don't like the way it looks and it definitely cuts down and what you can fit in the bed. I fill my bed up with camping/fishing gear and I'm not sure everything would fit if I had the Ram Box. To me it seems like a better option for the Tradesman line for tool storage. If it's standard on the Tungsten, it could be a deal breaker for me.

dajogejr

Reaction score

Just for point of context, the poster HAS a 2022 Limited. He’s calling himself out.. and us, I suppose. LOL.
I don’t use my truck as a work truck. I use it as a luxury vehicle that’s up off the ground, plenty of interior room.. which I can throw Stuff in back and occasionally haul a trailer if I want, that’s 4X4.
I love my Ram Boxes.. be hard for me to have a truck without them… just so much room for activities…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just for point of context, the poster HAS a 2022 Limited. He’s calling himself out.. and us, I suppose. LOL.
I don’t use my truck as a work truck. I use it as a luxury vehicle that’s up off the ground, plenty of interior room.. which I can throw Stuff in back and occasionally haul a trailer if I want, that’s 4X4.
I love my Ram Boxes.. be hard for me to have a truck without them… just so much room for activities…
If you bought a limited to use an a work truck then you purchased the wrong trim.
The only reason I have a Limited is the features I wanted were restricted on a Laramie due to "chip shortages". I wanted to order a Laramie GT with HUD which was not an option for most of the 2022 model run. I am happy with what I ordered and don't complain it (except for the black rails that need to be removed from the bed and silver ones bough to use 99% of the bed covers on the market)

If you want to complain about features getting added that you don't want then don't buy a Limited, buy a lower trim and add what you want. There is almost nothing a Limited had that a Laramie can't be optioned for. Even on 2022 I could get the same things except the hud as it was removed from the Laramie and put back in stock 2023 for order.

No one is "forcing" you to buy a Limited and if you think that's true then yes, you have more money then sense.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you bought a limited to use an a work truck then you purchased the wrong trim.
The only reason I have a Limited is the features I wanted were restricted on a Laramie due to "chip shortages". I wanted to order a Laramie GT with HUD which was not an option for most of the 2022 model run. I am happy with what I ordered and don't complain it (except for the black rails that need to be removed from the bed and silver ones bough to use 99% of the bed covers on the market)

If you want to complain about features getting added that you don't want then don't buy a Limited, buy a lower trim and add what you want. There is almost nothing a Limited had that a Laramie can't be optioned for. Even on 2022 I could get the same things except the hud as it was removed from the Laramie and put back in stock 2023 for order.

No one is "forcing" you to buy a Limited and if you think that's true then yes, you have more money then sense.
The post you quoted literally said he does not use his Limited as a work truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The post you quoted literally said he does not use his Limited as a work truck.
I suppose I am using the wrong term.
When I said work truck, I mean using the pickup truck as were originally intended back before we got sports\luxury trucks.
Filling up the bed of a truck is akin to "work" for me, but I suppose cold be considered for "play" also.

What I really mean is you don't buy a Limited to do true "truck stuff". Low payload, lots of parts to break if going offroad, etc.
Really seems like they were designed like a car with lots of extra cargo spots and lots of people don't realize the huge difference between a Bighorn and Limited when it comes to the "truck stuff" they can and can't do.

dajogejr

Reaction score
lol.
I took my truck to a buddy’s house, went in the back woods to shoot a bunch of stuff, and got a few minor scratches on it…. That, I gotta have my detail/ceramic/PPF company get out.
My fault, didn’t think small branches would hurt ceramic coat.
My off-roading consists of snow on the roads and dodging potholes in MI… :)
If this was a work truck.. I wouldn’t have cared less about scratches, dings, etc.

If I’m using my truck for work, it’s loading the bed up with tables and gear for a BBQ which I pull the trailer to an event.

I may haul a trailer that holds a single bike or two.
But yeah, I’m not a contractor, in construction, tow a lot or expect it to.
I’m in this one for the ride, the interior, the comfort and safety.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you I‘m thrilled to pay the price of these trucks.
But nobody forced me to buy a truck I wanted with all the creature comfort, high end finish, technology…
I have zero gripes or complaints and know exactly what I was buying, why I was buying it and what I wanted out of it…:)\

I mean, I’m not fancy radio and shift knob or colored cup holder kinda guy, but yeah, it’s my luxury truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
lol.
I took my truck to a buddy’s house, went in the back woods to shoot a bunch of stuff, and got a few minor scratches on it…. That, I gotta have my detail/ceramic/PPF company get out.
My fault, didn’t think small branches would hurt ceramic coat.
My off-roading consists of snow on the roads and dodging potholes in MI… :)
If this was a work truck.. I wouldn’t have cared less about scratches, dings, etc.

If I’m using my truck for work, it’s loading the bed up with tables and gear for a BBQ which I pull the trailer to an event.

I may haul a trailer that holds a single bike or two.
But yeah, I’m not a contractor, in construction, tow a lot or expect it to.
I’m in this one for the ride, the interior, the comfort and safety.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you I‘m thrilled to pay the price of these trucks.
But nobody forced me to buy a truck I wanted with all the creature comfort, high end finish, technology…
I have zero gripes or complaints and know exactly what I was buying, why I was buying it and what I wanted out of it…:)\

I mean, I’m not fancy radio and shift knob or colored cup holder kinda guy, but yeah, it’s my luxury truck.
And now you know...the hard way. I'm not sure what you were told, but ceramic coating doesn't protect the paint from mechanical damage. Scratches and rock chips will still happen just as easily as if you had no ceramic coating. It can help protect your paint from non mechanical damage like water spots or bird droppings. And makes washing your truck less effort. But to protect it from mechanical damage you need PPF.

dajogejr

Reaction score
And now you know...the hard way. I'm not sure what you were told, but ceramic coating doesn't protect the paint from mechanical damage. Scratches and rock chips will still happen just as easily as if you had no ceramic coating. It can help protect your paint from non mechanical damage like water spots or bird droppings. And makes washing your truck less effort. But to protect it from mechanical damage you need PPF.
Yes sir. My guy said the same… I had no idea. He said he does a lot of TRX and Raptors and the come back stating the same as I did.
All good….lesson learned. Luckily, with a little Xpel boost the majority of them came out.
First truck I’ve ever had PPF’d and Ceramic coated… after paint correction. Love the dark color, but it shows everything.
I have the front end, front quarters, a pillars and 4-5 inches above the windshield PPF’d.

I was never told branches, etc., won’t scratch.
I never thought to ask.
Frankly, after something hitting me on the freeway, leaving a mark on the truck and wiping off with a damp towel, it was I who assumed light branch contact wouldn’t hurt.. I take full responsibility for my not knowing.
This mark, below, literally I took a microfiber with a little water and it came right off.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 32

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
Damn, he's already complaining about the **** Uconnect system. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Important to note everything being tested is pre-production and he's the only one I've come across that had any complaints. I will say it is NOT behind the other brands in terms of UI, hell, they DID also increase processing power to help handle the larger size and additional features like the digital dash, the hands-free assist, etc.
Entirely possible he was the only one to have these complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/