5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFL 2019 Power Wagon... review?

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score

Interesting bit, is they say they can't tell us their opinions because there's an embargo. I'm guessing reviewers had to sign an NDA? Do we know when that NDA will be over?

I'm really just interested in how the 8 speed impacts MPG and how the synthetic winch compares.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is gonna be hard not to go with a Powerwagon. Gonna have to revisit the need for an 8 foot bed and heavy hauling.

Would probably go Tradesman with Powerwagon package, but all those goodies are tempting.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome truck! Little disappointed in payload and towing numbers though.:rolleyes: I know it is meant for a different use than a ‘normal’ truck but still.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only reason I haven't already owned one. And why I wish they would upgrade the Outdoorsman Package with some substance.

All the Powerwagon goodies minus the flexible suspension

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome truck! Little disappointed in payload and towing numbers though.:rolleyes: I know it is meant for a different use than a ‘normal’ truck but still.
They did the 3500 max tow on TFL also...inthe video is a Bighorn Mega Cab...1635lbs payload.

Just like the 1500 we warned people about...you have to keep the options off if you want the payload numbers.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They did the 3500 max tow on TFL also...inthe video is a Bighorn Mega Cab...1635lbs payload.

Just like the 1500 we warned people about...you have to keep the options off if you want the payload numbers.
Yeah I saw that one as well. It’s amazing how much payload difference the options can make.

John813

Reaction score
I need this. My wife doesn't think it's a need though.

Although I think she wants one.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need this. My wife doesn't think it's a need though.

Although I think she wants one.
I want this. My wife wants it. We are willing to "settle" for a Tradesman, but we need the full capacity of a 2500, possibly a 3500. Come on Outdoorsman package(the upgraded one I keep begging for not the original)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to work a deal on a Regular Cab 2500 and am searching for the same in a 3500..SRW.

If I can make it work, I will have to wait one year then I will be getting the Full Blown Powerwagon.

My 99 really needs to get off the road my son is convinced he is getting it for his 16th birthday...gives me 10 years 3 months to complete it.

Or, I may hit the lottery, Rebel for the wife, Powerwagon for the family, and 3500 dually to tow our Challenger RedEye and TRX to the fun places.

One can dream, this is America.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I am trying to work a deal on a Regular Cab 2500 and am searching for the same in a 3500...SWR.

SWR? And I think it was you that mentioned previously there are some great deals to be had on the 2018 Power Wagons. You weren't kidding, getting a huge amount of vehicle and capability for a lot less than folks in the 1500 thread are paying (even the ones that are getting pretty good deals.)

John813

Reaction score
Been spending too much time looking at the PWs lately.

Hopefully they release some type of MPG change to the 8 speed. cause if it's minor I'm finding some 17/18's for a good price.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SWR? And I think it was you that mentioned previously there are some great deals to be had on the 2018 Power Wagons. You weren't kidding, getting a huge amount of vehicle and capability for a lot less than folks in the 1500 thread are paying (even the ones that are getting pretty good deals.)
I fixed that...Single Rear Wheel.

Yeah, I have 3 on my Radar...one new Tradesman with Powerwagon package and 2 new Powerwagons, and 3 used ones.

But it is gonna be hard to pick a deal over the new upgrades they gave the HD.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't that 300-400lb less than the 2018/6 speed PW?
Just watched a review on the 4th gen and it said 1,500 for the PW.
Actually...that Powerwagon (2018) probably didnt have RamBox, would be my guess.

The Powerwagon is around 200 lbs lighter than 2018...but the 2019 also has more options to have.

I would also bet 1500 rating was the Tradesman with Powerwagon package rating...unless the video quoted a door sticker...didnt see the video.

So my guess is RamBox and a generic rating?

John813

Reaction score
Actually...that Powerwagon (2018) probably didnt have RamBox, would be my guess.

The Powerwagon is around 200 lbs lighter than 2018...but the 2019 also has more options to have.

I would also bet 1500 rating was the Tradesman with Powerwagon package rating...unless the video quoted a door sticker...didnt see the video.

So my guess is RamBox and a generic rating?

Not the exact video, but I believe the same source(website) but in text.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/03/20...rehensive-guide-maximum-towing-payload-specs/

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Ram Power Wagon Crew Cab Maximum payload weight: 1,444 lbs Maximum trailer weight: 9,790 lbs GVWR: 8,510 lbs
GCWR: 17,500 lbs

2019 Ram Powerwagon Crew Cab:
Maximum Payload: 1660
Maximum trailer weight: 10620
GVWR: 8565
GCWR: 18000.

Yep, the 2019 is much more capable.
A 55lb increase in GVWR yielded a 216 lb increase in payload.

I'm gonna let the numbers explain the rest.

Remember: Tradesman with Powerwagon Package is the high rating, a Powerwagon will be much lower.

If anyone hasn't look at the towing section, for endless discussion on how ratings are not what you are going to get unless you buy a specific truck.

I didnt get a chance to watch the video.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score

With the HD's hitting dealer lots now, it seems like we might actually get non-press reviews (Youtube) of the trucks before the journalists' NDA's are up!

I suppose this is a good indication that the manufacturing, supply chain and shipping stream is working better than predicted. I assume that FCA intended the NDA to expire before or simultaneously with the vehicles hitting the dealer lots.

Are the press vehicles already lent out for review or does the NDA just cover like the TFL situation where the press went to the vehicles and not the vehicles to the press?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
With the HD's hitting dealer lots now, it seems like we might actually get non-press reviews (Youtube) of the trucks before the journalists' NDA's are up!

I suppose this is a good indication that the manufacturing, supply chain and shipping stream is working better than predicted. I assume that FCA intended the NDA to expire before or simultaneously with the vehicles hitting the dealer lots.

Are the press vehicles already lent out for review or does the NDA just cover like the TFL situation where the press went to the vehicles and not the vehicles to the press?

Media likely won't be getting HDs lent out for the next little bit. For initial launch manufacturers hold media events where they groups of media will go for a few days at a time to sample the vehicles. We just got back from our media drive yesterday. Press fleet vehicles will usually start making the rounds a month or so after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread