5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with all this but for one minor exception. You say MOST states require background checks at gunshows. Actually for any dealer, which is really what you need to be to sell enough guns to pay for your table space, ALL states require it.

Very true and I poorly worded that statement by not specifying that any licensed FFL must perform a BGC at a gun show. However, not all states require private sellers at shows to do a BGC. During the panic buying seasons, a few of us shared or sublet table space from the larger dealers and sold quite a few guns and made some decent profit. Not enough to be classified as dealers, which is another law they're trying to push - like selling more than 3 guns/year or some nonsense. We also sold tactical gear and Dyneema vests (sorry no beef jerky or magic healing crystals). However, Colorado has required BGC of any sale at gun shows since shortly after Columbiine (1999) so 2000 I believe,. Private sales BGC only came into law in 2013.

Now these idiots here have given local municipalities the right to ban concealed and open carry and put so-called storage requirements and other dumb sh*t in place. Colorado is so messed up now, it's a shame.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1159be1aa9492c530d95f2a26995e58f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Were you buying $3k worth of guns and ammo when you were still in high school?

He or she, not sure, I’ve seen some conflicting info there, had a history of mentally unstable behavior.

If anything the background checks should be a bit more thorough with a waiting period.

I had to go through more security and checks to get my conceal carry permit than I did to buy the gun I wanted to carry.

Ask Carol Browne how that waiting period turned out for her.

Oh, wait, you can't, because she was stabbed to death by her ex while while waiting to exercise her God given right to protect herself.

I swear, some of you "gun guys" are such fudds.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
So you think her just buying a gun would have automatically saved her life?

A person who never shot a gun, is going to be able to pull it, ready it, and lethally fire it on a whim once put in a dire situation?

I have a waiting period to get my permit. Why is it such a big deal to have to list a reference and a through background check to buy one?

If that was the case this kid probably wouldn’t have passed the reference check.

And by waiting period, less than a week.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

A person who never shot a gun, is going to be able to pull it, ready it, and lethally fire it on a whim once put in a dire situation?
Who said automatically? A huge component of defensive uses for firearms is as a deterrent. And how do you know she had never fired one before?

Either way, do you suppose her odds would have been better with or without the firearm?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly with all this but for one minor exception. You say MOST states require background checks at gunshows. Actually for any dealer, which is really what you need to be to sell enough guns to pay for your table space, ALL states require it.

What is to wonder? How does someone know a person is deranged? Do we allow discrimination against everyone based on a whim?

I am hiring at my work. Do I get to discriminate against you and just say, "Well yes he had the qualifications but I thought he might shoot the place up so I didn't hire him".

How do you tell? Sodium penethol? Waterboarding prior to purchase? Ex CIA guys would just have unlimited power!

$3k is squat. I have single pistols worth almost double. Couple hundred rounds of ammo? I thought a standard box of ammo is 1000 rounds. Am I mistaken? The boxes I buy are. What am I missing?
I don’t think anyone can be judged on a whim. Not even physiologist can do that in one session.

My question is who is making sure the gun shops do their due diligence when selling? Sorry for my ignorance I just don’t know. All the guns I have were bought from friends or inherited. So the gun purchasing laws didn’t apply to me

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

I have a waiting period to get my permit. Why is it such a big deal to have to list a reference and a through background check to buy one?

If that was the case this kid probably wouldn’t have passed the reference check.

No guarantee it would’ve saved her life, but it would’ve increased her survival chances greatly.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I know some agents. You’d be surprised how many shops don’t follow all the laws.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know some agents. You’d be surprised how many shops don’t follow all the laws.

If that’s true, then the situation is like a lot of others. Enforce existing laws instead of making new laws.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone can be judged on a whim. Not even physiologist can do that in one session.

My question is who is making sure the gun shops do their due diligence when selling? Sorry for my ignorance I just don’t know. All the guns I have were bought from friends or inherited. So the gun purchasing laws didn’t apply to me
I will say it again. A free society can be a dangerous place. Hiding from the world in a bunker would solve the problem for those that would rather be safe without freedom.

So, yet more crime. Do we have laws to make breaking laws illegal?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Never said that. And you don't know what experience or training she had.

"Ready it?" LOL. Handguns should be carried Condition 1. Look that up if you need to. Most modern pistols like Glocks and others with trigger safeties and DAO or DAO/SAO guns like a the one and only proper guns Sig Sauer makes are mostly point and shoot.

She was denied her right to defend herself using appropriate measures, including by use of deadly force if necessary, against a physically stronger opponent she had an active restraining order against. After a ridiculous waiting period for a Firearm Purchase permit, NJ only has waiting period for handguns. Would you have a woman purchase what, a shotgun or long gun for self defense?

She was so egregiously denied her right to self defense by having already waited 43 days for a permit to simply possess a firearm that is to be issued NLT 30 days from application, would have had to again apply to purchase a handgun and wait for approval, and then a 3rd and likely impossible application for concealed carry, the only means she could use it outside her home. Waiting periods killed Carol Brown.

By "permit" I assume you're again talking about your concealed carry permit. That's entirely different although I'm also in favor of Constitutional Carry just the same. Criminals are going to CC, why can't a law abiding citizen? If I can pass an NICS (and in Colorado it's an additional flow through a CBI for local issues like domestic abuse, restraining orders, etc.) I should be able to carry. I had to take training, including live fire (no longer required) to get a carry permit even though I'm a vet (missed the training not needed cutoff by oh 20 years or so... LOL) .

While I consider CC reasonable, I don't think it's exceptionally unreasonable to require some reasonable training requirement for concealed carry if the state requires it. I personally don't think that 4 hours of classroom training, which can be found for free (generally donations are accepted by those orgs), is an unreasonable barrier to exercise a "unique" right (legal concealed carry in public), if only to understand some basic law (more Do's and Don'ts) and to protect yourself from potential litigation.

Colorado and many states have Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground laws, and while that doesn't preclude you from arrest and detainment by an aggressive DA, and potentially costly legal battle, it does provide affirmative defense against undue criminal prosecution if you otherwise followed the law (like not shooting someone outside your home).

Besides, there's already a defacto waiting period. While few FFL's will do so, technically if NICS doesn't approve or deny an applicant within 72 hours, the FFL can still sell the firearm unless they have other reason to believe the purchaser is otherwise prohibited or ANY OTHER REASON the FFL doesn't wish to complete the sale. Perhaps that's what your AFT buddy is thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread