5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove ED today. What to buy?

70runner

Reaction score
I was debating the HUD. I was thinking I would not order it because I don't have one now and have not felt a desire for one. Also, it seems like it could be distracting. Or even annoying if it is displayed on the windshield in a spot that overlays part of my view of the road (versus just over my view of the hood).

What is it about the HUD that makes it a must, to you?

Daughter's Kia has HUD and I drive it frequently. Not at all distracting to me. The 1500 HUD can be moved around a bit to suit placement and IMO provides impt info without removing eyesight from road...speed, speed limit, location and such. Only issue which concerned me was use of polarized (prescription) sunglasses. These do somewhat reduce HUD visibility but the 1500 has a brightness control which can compensate.

Nice post on your ED Rebel. A buddy of mine has a '20 ED Rebel, four-corner air suspension, all pure stock. He does a lot of serious off-roading (working type off-roading in CA deserts, not racing off-roading), he loves his ED Rebel, too.
I really dig the '70 RR convertible 440 6-pack in your signature. Could you post a link to a few photos of it?
Don't have any links, but here's a pic from recent car show.

WSbYi4C.jpg

cleigh

Reaction score
I just submitted a request to Mark Dodge.

What do they normally charge for a custom online order? I.e. you implied they sell at less than MSRP. Do they sell at dealer invoice? Invoice + $500? Or what?

Usually about 3% below dealer invoice. It's substantial. They contract with carriers to deliver to you, or they deliver free within 250 miles (ie both DFW and New Orleans airports).

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5% below invoice IIRC. Granger I think is like 3% or 4% below invoice.

Usually about 3% below dealer invoice. It's substantial. They contract with carriers to deliver to you, or they deliver free within 250 miles (ie both DFW and New Orleans airports).

Below invoice?!? Damn! That is awesome! Thanks for the tip!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Daughter's Kia has HUD and I drive it frequently. Not at all distracting to me. The 1500 HUD can be moved around a bit to suit placement and IMO provides impt info without removing eyesight from road...speed, speed limit, location and such. Only issue which concerned me was use of polarized (prescription) sunglasses. These do somewhat reduce HUD visibility but the 1500 has a brightness control which can compensate.

Don't have any links, but here's a pic from recent car show.

WSbYi4C.jpg
Beautiful! And so rare. Thanks for posting the photo.
I love the color, the stock wheels, and what looks like the built-in headrest bucket seats.
Congratulations!!

70runner

Reaction score
Beautiful! And so rare. Thanks for posting the photo.
I love the color, the stock wheels, and what looks like the built-in headrest bucket seats.
Congratulations!!
Thx. In mopar vernacular, they are called high back buckets. Color is stock B7, Jamaica Blue.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I test drove a '22 Laramie with an EcoDiesel today. First time I've driven an ED.

I had an '09 RAM 1500 with Hemi until I traded it for my '19 1500 Hemi w/eTorque. I like how my truck runs and drives with the Hemi. Both my trucks had/have the 3.92 rear end. The ED I drove today also had a 3.92. The main difference is my trucks have been 4x4 and today's ED was 4x2. I'm not going to buy the one I drove. I just drove it to see how the engine drives. I'm going to order what I want.

And, dang! I REALLY liked driving the ED! I was expecting lag and sluggishness (I have owned 3 different Ford SuperDutys with PowerStrokes in the past). I did some in-town, stop-and-go, and some Interstate. For me and the way I drive (which is pretty much with a lead foot), I felt like it drove better than either of my Hemis. Off the line felt just as quick (for a normal-for-me take-off, not a drag start). Response to throttle tip-in when deciding to speed up to pass was great. The only thing I could maybe feel like the Hemi does better at is when you put the pedal to the floor. I did that on the Interstate a couple of times and my seat-of-the-pants says the Hemi pulls a little harder at full throttle. As I would expect when comparing their horsepower numbers...

The ED also is NOTICEABLY quieter than the Hemi. Going down the highway, just cruising, I can still just barely hear my Hemi. Not the ED. And when putting my foot into it, I can hear the Hemi easily, where the ED is still pretty darn quiet. I like the way my Hemi sounds, but overall I would be perfectly happy if it was totally quiet. So, the ED wins that one - to ME.

I drove the ED because I was expecting to not like it all that much and driving it would just let me cross it off my list and stop second-guessing what I want to order. It had the opposite effect.

So, I ran the numbers. Identically configured, the way I would order it, the difference in price (on a loaded Laramie) between a Hemi w/eTorque and an ED is $2,200.

According to Fuelly, Hemis w/eTorque are averaging 16 MPG and 3rd gen ED's are averaging 22.

Gas here is currently $3.89 and diesel is $4.96. The math on all that works out to just a cost in fuel of 24.5 cents per mile for the Hemi and 22.5 cents for the ED.

Which means you have to drive the ED for 110K miles just to break even on the extra cost to buy one (based on current fuel costs). And that does not account for any difference in maintenance costs (e.g. oil changes) or the cost of DEF. I'm *guessing* the ED has a higher cost of maintenance. So, really, the ED probably really doesn't save me any money at all. Though, my brother has been shopping for a new/used truck recently and he said used EDs are generally about $5k higher than comparable used Hemis, from what he's seen. So, maybe a higher resale value would more than make up for the extra purchase price.

So, now I'm in a quandary. Which one do I want to order? Right this moment, I feel like I liked driving the ED better. But, I'm also concerned that it will have reliability or drivability issues, where the Hemi is more of a known quantity.

I drive a lot. Mostly highway driving on weekend road trips to go scuba diving. I work from home. Thus how I have racked up 71K miles on my '19 in 3 years (while working from home the whole time).

With the 33 gallon tank in my '19, the range has been perfectly fine for me. The only time I have ever wished the tank was bigger was the one time I towed a very overweight trailer from near DC to SC. I was stopping for gas every something like 200 to 250 miles. But, that just proves (to me) that the tank and range on the Hemi is actually fine for me and my needs. Nevertheless, the range I would have with an ED is kind of appealing. 700 miles or so between fill-ups instead of 400? No real practical benefit most of the time, but maybe could be someday, in a natural disaster emergency type situation.

Whichever engine I order, my plan is to get a 3.21 rear end this time. I drive a lot at 80 MPH and the 3.92 has me turning 2200 RPMs. A 3.21 should have me at 1800. I am EXPECTING to get 1 or 2 MPG better (from a Hemi) just from that change. My current average (calculated by Fuelly, where I have logged every fill-up I have ever done in my '19) is 14.1MPG. If that went up to 16 with a new Hemi, that would still be a major improvement (and savings) for me.

If you have any input to help me decide between the Hemi w/eTorque or the ED, I would be happy to hear it. And if you actually read this far, thank you! :D

See my sig. Get the ecoDiesel. ;)

(My son, a hemi guy, drove my truck and promptly ordered an ecoDiesel for himself.)

It's not about dollars and cents. It's what puts a smile on your face.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there anywhere else I should be looking besides Mark Dodge and Granger?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Bak Revolver X4 on my '19 (with RamBoxes and a regular tailgate). It gets loads of water in the back when it rains. It all comes in from around the sides. I don't care now and I won't care if an MFT lets in a little more than what I get now.

Having the MFT, so I don't have to lean across the tailgate to put heavy stuff in and out - or climb up in the bed just to move stuff from the bed out onto the tailgate - will be a benefit to me OFTEN. Most of what goes in the back of mine is scuba gear anyway, which obviously doesn't care if it gets wet.

Also, I don't have one, but it sure does some like a little ingenuity and some weather stripping of some kind could fix that gap so water wouldn't come through.

In my mind, the facts seem simple. It is rare that I carry stuff in the back that requires the tailgate be left down while I'm driving. And if the tailgate is going to be up, then having the tailgate drop down, instead of opening to the sides, is just pointless. It does nothing but make life somewhat harder than it needs to be.

There is a reason that some OLD SUVs (like the International Travelall we had when I was in high school) had tailgates that flipped down, but nowadays, they all either have barn-style doors or a gate that flips up instead of down.

The RAM MFT looks like genius, to me. I suspect that, like Adaptive Cruise Control, once I have it, I will never buy another truck that doesn't have it again.

I've got the MFT and a Retrax cover. I used some weatherstripping around the bottom, sides, top, and split in the MFT. No dust gets in: none, zero, zilch, nada. The only water intrusion is a little around the sides of the Retrax when the track overflows. That water runs down the sidewalls of the bed. I've got a Bedrug mat on the bed itself, so nothing in my bed gets wet...even sitting overnight in monsoon-level rains. Ditto when driving.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info so far.

I am negotiating on a '21 ED that has 17K miles on it.

Anything I should know about the '21 version of the ED or anything I should look out for on a trade-in with that mileage? It seems low, so I have to wonder why someone would trade it in.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always have the same concerns with a 1 yr old or super low mileage vehicle.

Ok, what was bad enough the PO would take a financial bath over to get rid of?

Of course it’s always possible the PO’s circumstances changed and you could end up with a practically new ride for a good deal.

Just gotta pore over the carfax, etc. to see if anything makes sense.

Maybe trade in values were just too good to ignore?
Maybe they saw the oil change bill and ran away crying?

If I buy used I like lease returns, or super old and/or high mileage cars where I know what a mess I’m getting into.

Reaction score
I made the switch from a Hemi (06, 11, 16) to an 22 Laramie ED mostly because I liked how it quiet it was, which you mentioned in your OP.

As far as DEF goes, I bought the Supertech stuff from Wal-Mart for $11 for 2.5 gallons. It does have an API label on the jug and according to API, if it carries the label, it meets the proper ISO.

Anyways, the reason I am commenting...I drove a Big Horn ED with the 3.21 and then jumped in a Laramie ED with the 3.92, and I liked the pep of the 3.92 more than the 3.21. Driving them back to back, I could notice a difference. On the highway, I didn't notice any difference but did which driving around town and red light to red light.

I drive roughly 15-18k miles a year and felt like the ED was more suited for my situation.

Maintenance is maintenance. I didn't feel like the maintenance intervals and costs were a deal breaker.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyways, the reason I am commenting...I drove a Big Horn ED with the 3.21 and then jumped in a Laramie ED with the 3.92, and I liked the pep of the 3.92 more than the 3.21. Driving them back to back, I could notice a difference. On the highway, I didn't notice any difference but did which driving around town and red light to red light.

That's a bit disappointing to hear. And, I can't really figure out why that would be - except on takeoff from a stop, where it IS totally explainable.

But, once you're actually moving, I would expect the tranny to put you in whatever gear gives the optimum RPM. So, you could be, say, at 1500 RPM in 2nd gear (with a 3.21) or 1500 RPM in 3rd gear (with a 3.21). I would have thought that, from there, if you go to accelerate, it should pull the same, since it would have the same OVERALL gear ratio from engine RPM to rear wheel RPM.

Fingers crossed that I don't end up with a 3.21 ED and find myself unhappy with how it drives!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that I don't end up with a 3.21 ED and find myself unhappy with how it drives!

I doubt it. With the GDE tune, the extra 45 HP and 80 ft/lb of torque it is very peppy from a stop. Just let it start rolling and then punch it.

Malodave

Reactions: c3k
Reaction score
That's a bit disappointing to hear. And, I can't really figure out why that would be - except on takeoff from a stop, where it IS totally explainable.

But, once you're actually moving, I would expect the tranny to put you in whatever gear gives the optimum RPM. So, you could be, say, at 1500 RPM in 2nd gear (with a 3.21) or 1500 RPM in 3rd gear (with a 3.21). I would have thought that, from there, if you go to accelerate, it should pull the same, since it would have the same OVERALL gear ratio from engine RPM to rear wheel RPM.

Had I not driven them back to back, I doubt if I would have noticed a difference. My three previous Ram's have all been 3.92. When I jumped in the Big Horn ED 3.21 it felt fine, and honestly, would have bought it except that it did not have the LED headlights and it had the Rambox, which I did not want again.

I would encourage you to find a dealer that has both 3.21 and 3.92 ED and go drive them.

Hofkamp

Reaction score
See my sig. Get the ecoDiesel. ;)

(My son, a hemi guy, drove my truck and promptly ordered an ecoDiesel for himself.)

It's not about dollars and cents. It's what puts a smile on your face.
I love my ED, i have the 3.21 It is incredibly smooth, and its Quite. I am sold for life!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started another thread, but just to close this one out, I traded my '19 Laramie Hemi w/72K miles for a used '21 Limited EcoDiesel, 3.21, with 17K miles.

It was a 930 mile drive home from the dealer where I did the trade and the ED was GREAT the whole way.

The onboard computer already showed me how off it is, though - so if you are considering mileage numbers just based on that, you may as well forget what you think you know. It was the same way in my '19 Hemi, too. I logged every fill-up for 72K miles and I logged what the onboard computer said each time, too, before I reset it. It was pretty much ALWAYS higher than actual - anywhere from 0.5 MPG to 2 MPG too high, if I'm remember correctly. I have it all logged.

I filled up at a station right by the dealership where I bough it before I started home. I stopped for fuel roughly halfway home and then filled up as soon as I got home. I always reset Trip B and the Fuel Economy screens both, whenever I fill up.

On my first fill-up, I had driven 524 miles. The onboard. computer said 28.1 MPG and hand calculation (well, Fuelly) said 26.7 MPG. Onboard was 1.4 MPG too high.

On the fill-up when I got home, I had driven 403 miles. Onboard computer said 26.4 MPG. Fuelly says 24.1. The onboard was high by 2.3 MPG! So ridiculous.

Overall for the whole trip was 25.5. Considering conditions and I had the Adaptive Cruise set at 80 the whole way, I am not complaining. Especially if good conditions will let me achieve more like 27 most of the time, like I did on the first leg.

Anyway, the EcoDiesel is making me very happy, so far.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
One concern I see from engineers on YouTube is that the EcoDiesel only really makes sense if you drive 80 plus miles a day. They said if you live in the city and drive an EcoDiesel then the diesel engine will never get hot enough and that will create problems for you down the road.

I haven't heard any of these issues from people in the forums. Wanted to get you guys perspective

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One concern I see from engineers on YouTube is that the EcoDiesel only really makes sense if you drive 80 plus miles a day. They said if you live in the city and drive an EcoDiesel then the diesel engine will never get hot enough and that will create problems for you down the road.

I haven't heard any of these issues from people in the forums. Wanted to get you guys perspective
I agree with that general sentiment, but not the mileage. Diesels need to be hot, and running cold creates more wear internally than when they’re hot. That’s nothing new about diesels. The dpf is the bigger issue with running cold and short trips. There will be much more soot generation from driving while the engine is cold and stop/go traffic. It only takes 10-ish miles of highway driving to see a 1% decrease in dpf soot content (viewed through my idash) and the soot level drops more rapidly the farther I drive at highway speeds. I’ve seen a decrease in percentage from mid 50’s to mid 20’s when driving non-stop for ~2hrs on the highway, and saw an increase of 11% this morning for a 13 mile short highwayish trip. I think that in itself shows why city/short driving isn’t good for these diesels. Same goes for idling.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
I agree with that general sentiment, but not the mileage. Diesels need to be hot, and running cold creates more wear internally than when they’re hot. That’s nothing new about diesels. The dpf is the bigger issue with running cold and short trips. There will be much more soot generation from driving while the engine is cold and stop/go traffic. It only takes 10-ish miles of highway driving to see a 1% decrease in dpf soot content (viewed through my idash) and the soot level drops more rapidly the farther I drive at highway speeds. I’ve seen a decrease in percentage from mid 50’s to mid 20’s when driving non-stop for ~2hrs on the highway, and saw an increase of 11% this morning for a 13 mile short highwayish trip. I think that in itself shows why city/short driving isn’t good for these diesels. Same goes for idling.is there

Is there an actual monitor in the Ram for this?

Users who are viewing this thread