5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove ED today. What to buy?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, thanks for the recommendations, everyone, but the Multi-Function Tailgate was already on my Must Have list. :)

The MFT is one of the reasons I really want to upgrade. They didn't have the ED or the MFT when I bought my '19 or I would already have them.

I put scuba tanks in and out of the back of my truck all the time. Not having to lean over the tailgate to get them in and then close the tailgate will be SO great for my back!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget the GDE Tune on the Ecodiesel. It will get you 305 HP, 560ft/lbs of torque, and with the trans tune another 7-10% better fuel Mileage.
There is also a Comma3 device that just got merged into the Master file as a supported Vehicle. With the Advanced Safety Group it will drive the RAM
similar to a Tesla. We are still working on the Steer to 0MPH upgrade to the RAM software branch.

Malodave

Attachments

• MirrorMounFront.jpg
    MirrorMounFront.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 52
  • MirrorMountRear.jpg
    MirrorMountRear.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 42
  • MirrorMount1.jpg
    MirrorMount1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another happy diesel owner. Bought mine in WA state, drove it home to SOCAL. Averaged almost 28mpg on 1400mi trip, one (and only) fuel stop at exactly 836mi on odo (33gal tank). First diy oil change at 5K. At almost 9Kmi, overall avg mpg at 25.1, combo freeway/city. Double the mpg from my previous 2014 5.7L Tundra. Very quiet, minor tire noise with aggressive treads on Rebel. Love this truck. 33gal tank a must along with the HUD.
Nice post on your ED Rebel. A buddy of mine has a '20 ED Rebel, four-corner air suspension, all pure stock. He does a lot of serious off-roading (working type off-roading in CA deserts, not racing off-roading), he loves his ED Rebel, too.
I really dig the '70 RR convertible 440 6-pack in your signature. Could you post a link to a few photos of it?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, thanks for the recommendations, everyone, but the Multi-Function Tailgate was already on my Must Have list. :)

The MFT is one of the reasons I really want to upgrade. They didn't have the ED or the MFT when I bought my '19 or I would already have them.

I put scuba tanks in and out of the back of my truck all the time. Not having to lean over the tailgate to get them in and then close the tailgate will be SO great for my back!
Good to hear the MFT is already on your list. If by chance you also get Ram Boxes (would your SCUBA gear fit in them?), be sure to order the BUG (bed utility group) to make sure you get the Bed Divider, it's super-handy as well.
The whole issue of the Bed Divider was confusing in years past - it used to come with Ram Boxes in the Classic ("DS" platform, "4th gen") Rams, but when I ordered my 2020 ("DT" platform, 5th-gen), Ram had changed the bed-related package content such that I had to order Ram Boxes ($995 US) plus the Bed Utility Group ($495) in order to get Bed Divider. I don't know how the packages are arranged now, but if you're considering getting Ram Boxes, be sure to work with your sales/ordering person to make sure you get the Bed Divider as well (which probably means adding the Bed Utility Group).
You're going to LOVE this new truck.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear the MFT is already on your list. If by chance you also get Ram Boxes (would your SCUBA gear fit in them?), be sure to order the BUG (bed utility group) to make sure you get the Bed Divider, it's super-handy as well.
The whole issue of the Bed Divider was confusing in years past - it used to come with Ram Boxes in the Classic ("DS" platform, "4th gen") Rams, but when I ordered my 2020 ("DT" platform, 5th-gen), Ram had changed the bed-related package content such that I had to order Ram Boxes ($995 US) plus the Bed Utility Group ($495) in order to get Bed Divider. I don't know how the packages are arranged now, but if you're considering getting Ram Boxes, be sure to work with your sales/ordering person to make sure you get the Bed Divider as well (which probably means adding the Bed Utility Group).
You're going to LOVE this new truck.

I have RamBoxes and the divider now. I also ordered and installed myself the parts to let the divider work as a bed extender. But, I pretty much never use it. The divider has not left my garage in over 2 years. When I'm piling scuba gear in the back, the divider takes up too much room and is just in the way. I have a rubber bed mat in the back (on top of the Rhino lining) that pretty much ensures stuff doesn't slide around.

But, yes, RamBoxes and the BUG are already in the build spec.

I would have had my order in today but the dealer said their system was not letting them add Power Running Boards to the build (on a Laramie with Level 2 Equipment Group). They were calling RAM today and are supposed to call me tomorrow (today, now...). Apparently, they are closing orders for '22s at the end of this month. I have a feeling they may have already stopped taking orders for Laramies with the power running boards. :(

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget the GDE Tune on the Ecodiesel. It will get you 305 HP, 560ft/lbs of torque, and with the trans tune another 7-10% better fuel Mileage.
There is also a Comma3 device that just got merged into the Master file as a supported Vehicle. With the Advanced Safety Group it will drive the RAM
similar to a Tesla. We are still working on the Steer to 0MPH upgrade to the RAM software branch.

Malodave

First, thanks for the update on the GDE. I had emailed with GDE when the Gen 3 ED came out and they said they were 18 months from having a tune for it. Those numbers sound awesome. I will definitely be looking into getting that after I get a new truck.

Second, THANK YOU for mentioning Comma. I was today year's old when I learned about that. :) That sounds cool as heck. I read the whole Comma thread you linked and I joined the Discord community.

One question I didn't see an answer to is whether the wiring harness for the RAM + C2 is the same harness as for RAM + C3. If it is, then I would be down to buy a harness from you the next time you have one available. :) I feel like I want to buy a C2 now, if I can find one, and maybe get OP working in my current truck (which does have ACC and LKA). Then I can just move it over to my new truck whenever I get that.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First, thanks for the update on the GDE. I had emailed with GDE when the Gen 3 ED came out and they said they were 18 months from having a tune for it. Those numbers sound awesome. I will definitely be looking into getting that after I get a new truck.

Second, THANK YOU for mentioning Comma. I was today year's old when I learned about that. :) That sounds cool as heck. I read the whole Comma thread you linked and I joined the Discord community.

One question I didn't see an answer to is whether the wiring harness for the RAM + C2 is the same harness as for RAM + C3. If it is, then I would be down to buy a harness from you the next time you have one available. :) I feel like I want to buy a C2 now, if I can find one, and maybe get OP working in my current truck (which does have ACC and LKA). Then I can just move it over to my new truck whenever I get that.
The Harness is the same for Comma2 and Comma3. The current mount is not compatable with the Comma2 (working on it). I am working on a batch of 30 Harnesses now. I should have a couple in my box from the last batch. Working with Castle Hill on the Steer to 0mph and making up the additional wiring needed. The hardest part of the install is removing the Cover behind the Mirror.

Malodave

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I honestly want to try a ED. I see the dealer I bought my limited from has a ED limited coming in that has the same options as mine except the engine.
I am so tempted to see what they would trade for.
Tom

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I honestly want to try a ED. I see the dealer I bought my limited from has a ED limited coming in that has the same options as mine except the engine.
I am so tempted to see what they would trade for.
Tom

The EcoDiesel does effortless towing. The only limitation comes from too many options added reduces your towing capacity. I have a 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Cargo Trailer and it pulls it like it is not even there.

Malodave

n8zcc

Reaction score
32 - 36?!?! That is the first time I've seen anyone report #s that high. Is that calculated by you, or what is reported on the truck's onboard computer? And, is your truck totally stock, or do you have a tune or something to help with the mileage?
Just around 1,200 miles on the odo, I drove over to GDE and had their engine and transmission tune istalled. Back in May, my wife and I boarded the ED and took off to Sioux Falls South Dakota for a family wedding. From there we headed up to Two Harbors Minnesota, then over to Marquette and Suite St. Marie Michigan before heading south for home. The total trip was just under 2,600 miles.

I maintain both hand calculations and DIC readings. 32 to 36 were under ideal conditions, cruise control, 70 MPH, and no headwinds got me into the lower 30MPG while a tailwind pushed me up to 36 MPG. Overall MPGs for the trip were 28.6 which factored in the headwinds I had from Michigan to South Dakota and then up to Two Harbors. Driving back east and then south I had tailwinds.

Since hand calculations were between fill-ups and I was able to drive nearly 800 miles before refueling, I had no way of knowing how many 1/10s of a gallon I may be off from previous refuelings. When I tallied the gas receipts and did the math, the hand calculations were a couple of 1/10s higher than the DIC's reported MPG for the trip.

I don't know how the DIC averages MPGs, is it over time and if so, how much time. Knowing that would be helpful. The DIC average and the hand-calculated average were within 0.67% of each other.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just around 1,200 miles on the odo, I drove over to GDE and had their engine and transmission tune istalled. Back in May, my wife and I boarded the ED and took off to Sioux Falls South Dakota for a family wedding. From there we headed up to Two Harbors Minnesota, then over to Marquette and Suite St. Marie Michigan before heading south for home. The total trip was just under 2,600 miles.

I maintain both hand calculations and DIC readings. 32 to 36 were under ideal conditions, cruise control, 70 MPH, and no headwinds got me into the lower 30MPG while a tailwind pushed me up to 36 MPG. Overall MPGs for the trip were 28.6 which factored in the headwinds I had from Michigan to South Dakota and then up to Two Harbors. Driving back east and then south I had tailwinds.

Since hand calculations were between fill-ups and I was able to drive nearly 800 miles before refueling, I had no way of knowing how many 1/10s of a gallon I may be off from previous refuelings. When I tallied the gas receipts and did the math, the hand calculations were a couple of 1/10s higher than the DIC's reported MPG for the trip.

I don't know how the DIC averages MPGs, is it over time and if so, how much time. Knowing that would be helpful. The DIC average and the hand-calculated average were within 0.67% of each other.
I find if I do all highway or all local driving on a tank of gas the two calculations are a good match. The variance happens if I do a lot of highway followed by local or the reverse. At almost 29,000 miles the variance between the 2 measrements is .22 with the hand calculation lower.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would have had my order in today but the dealer said their system was not letting them add Power Running Boards to the build (on a Laramie with Level 2 Equipment Group). They were calling RAM today and are supposed to call me tomorrow (today, now...). Apparently, they are closing orders for '22s at the end of this month. I have a feeling they may have already stopped taking orders for Laramies with the power running boards. :(
I added the Mopar PRB's to my Laramie...and the dealer can certainly do the installation as well...try to make that a condition of the sale or something. There is no difference between factory and dealer/DIY installed PRB's. (You have to get the correct sales code installed...dealer can do that easily)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added the Mopar PRB's to my Laramie...and the dealer can certainly do the installation as well...try to make that a condition of the sale or something. There is no difference between factory and dealer/DIY installed PRB's. (You have to get the correct sales code installed...dealer can do that easily)

Yes, I know. That is how I got PRB on my '19. :)

I asked the dealer about if they would get the PRB and install them for me, for the same $995 it costs to order them on the truck. This is with already having agreement that they would sell me the truck for full sticker price (which I have NEVER paid, in the past, but these are extraordinary times). They said that they would order the PRB and install them when the truck comes in, but it would cost me $2300, for parts and labor.

I told them thanks anyway and to let me know when they can order '23s. If I don't have a new truck by then, I would still be interested.

I'm not paying $2300 for a $995 option.

cleigh

Reaction score
Yes, I know. That is how I got PRB on my '19. :)

I asked the dealer about if they would get the PRB and install them for me, for the same $995 it costs to order them on the truck. This is with already having agreement that they would sell me the truck for full sticker price (which I have NEVER paid, in the past, but these are extraordinary times). They said that they would order the PRB and install them when the truck comes in, but it would cost me $2300, for parts and labor.

I told them thanks anyway and to let me know when they can order '23s. If I don't have a new truck by then, I would still be interested.

I'm not paying $2300 for a $995 option.

Don't pay full sticker either! There's no reason to with online orders now from Mark Dodge, Granger, etc.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I'm going to be the dissent on the MFT. I was forced to get one with the 10th Anny Edition. The operation is cool, but if you want to put a cover on the bed, and keep water out, the gap it creates is a huge issue. Dad's Limited headed to MD now, and I told him not to get it.

I pulled a 6000+ trailer with mine. I didn't even notice it. With myself, the other guy and the gear in the truck, we were easily over the official payload capacity.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to be the dissent on the MFT. I was forced to get one with the 10th Anny Edition. The operation is cool, but if you want to put a cover on the bed, and keep water out, the gap it creates is a huge issue. Dad's Limited headed to MD now, and I told him not to get it.

I pulled a 6000+ trailer with mine. I didn't even notice it. With myself, the other guy and the gear in the truck, we were easily over the official payload capacity.

I have a Bak Revolver X4 on my '19 (with RamBoxes and a regular tailgate). It gets loads of water in the back when it rains. It all comes in from around the sides. I don't care now and I won't care if an MFT lets in a little more than what I get now.

Having the MFT, so I don't have to lean across the tailgate to put heavy stuff in and out - or climb up in the bed just to move stuff from the bed out onto the tailgate - will be a benefit to me OFTEN. Most of what goes in the back of mine is scuba gear anyway, which obviously doesn't care if it gets wet.

Also, I don't have one, but it sure does some like a little ingenuity and some weather stripping of some kind could fix that gap so water wouldn't come through.

In my mind, the facts seem simple. It is rare that I carry stuff in the back that requires the tailgate be left down while I'm driving. And if the tailgate is going to be up, then having the tailgate drop down, instead of opening to the sides, is just pointless. It does nothing but make life somewhat harder than it needs to be.

There is a reason that some OLD SUVs (like the International Travelall we had when I was in high school) had tailgates that flipped down, but nowadays, they all either have barn-style doors or a gate that flips up instead of down.

The RAM MFT looks like genius, to me. I suspect that, like Adaptive Cruise Control, once I have it, I will never buy another truck that doesn't have it again.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't pay full sticker either! There's no reason to with online orders now from Mark Dodge, Granger, etc.
Well, the reasons I was willing to agree to full sticker were:

They offered me $41K for my trade-in, when other dealers keep coming in around $35K.

I would have paid a refundable $500 deposit. So, when the truck came in, the real negotiation on price would have started. They wouldn't commit to my trade-in value, as it could change before the new truck came in. So, I was not committed to the trade difference of MSRP minus $41K trade. But, if they had been able to get the order in, and they stuck with $41K on the trade, I probably would have done it.

So, how do these other dealers deal with trade-ins and commitment from the buyer?

I found Mark Dodge online (in Lake Charles, LA?). Their FAQ about online orders doesn't say anything about trade-ins.

And, Granger Motors? In Granger, Iowa? I found their website, too. It looks like they have exactly the same online ordering software as Mark Dodge.

I didn't really know about this online custom order option. Is there anywhere else I should be looking besides Mark Dodge and Granger?

Thank you for the tip!

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just submitted a request to Mark Dodge.

What do they normally charge for a custom online order? I.e. you implied they sell at less than MSRP. Do they sell at dealer invoice? Invoice + $500? Or what?

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I just submitted a request to Mark Dodge.

What do they normally charge for a custom online order? I.e. you implied they sell at less than MSRP. Do they sell at dealer invoice? Invoice + $500? Or what?
5% below invoice IIRC. Granger I think is like 3% or 4% below invoice.

Users who are viewing this thread