5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla Unveils Electric Pickup

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I honestly thought it was Elon having a joke with the audience when the truck came out. I was expecting him to then roll out the real truck.

But I get why he did it, he changed the script on what a truck could be, more a moon/mars rover than mall crawler. Stainless steel body that is resistant to hammer blows, sports car performance and total utilitarian in design and function.

I'm getting it.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty amazing potential, but I'll stick with my 5.7 hemi for now (y). That atv on the other hand looks pretty sweet.

67 RT

Reaction score
It’s odd for sure. I too thought he was joking. However, I kind of dig it. I grew up in the 80’s and always wanted a Delorean, this is like a souped up off road truck version for the apocalypse. I’d totally buy one and the pricing was a wow factor as well. I wonder if they plan on doing different finishes. I’d like a black/matte version.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Resembles a Pontiac Azteca to me. I think the exterior durability is great for doing actual work with it and the numbers are decent all around but they took the design of what made Tesla so appealing and through it out the window. Different colors will make it slightly better but man, I do not like cars from the 80's. These designers got paid to put a triangle on wheels? I am sorry but this thing is soooooooo ugly, I like curves. Part of the reason why I never liked the Cadillac designs over the last era, I thought they got it wrong with the straight edges and this thing takes it to the extreme. Just can't get over the design and it will hurt my eyes every time I see one of these on the road. Some people will love it but just not me.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The approach is interesting, as many of you have noted, as it is a "beast mode" truck.

On the other hand, I'm guessing 75% of trucks these days are optioned up for comfort as much as for work. Even a Raptor can be had with nice leather. Will this "hardcore" approach appeal to enough real-world buyers?

aametzger

Reaction score
I agree that it is very ugly. I am a bit of a Tesla fan (tech in general), but this one is off the mark IMO. What happened to the more sleek stomper like rendering that we expected? I honestly thought it was a joke. I still wonder if its part of a long con to get people talking about it and then they reveal the real one later that is more mainstream looking. I do like the solar panel idea though. Maybe in a few years, the solar panel tech will improve enough that they will be able to get more charging than 15-30 miles a day extra. Imagine your vehicle charging itself while sitting in a parking lot. Or better yet when you are out in a remote area somewhere.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
It’s odd for sure. I too thought he was joking. However, I kind of dig it. I grew up in the 80’s and always wanted a Delorean, this is like a souped up off road truck version for the apocalypse. I’d totally buy one and the pricing was a wow factor as well. I wonder if they plan on doing different finishes. I’d like a black/matte version.

He responded on Twitter that matte black would be an option

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
Pretty amazing potential, but I'll stick with my 5.7 hemi for now (y). That atv on the other hand looks pretty sweet.

The ATV is going to be offered as an option on the truck. I am curious as to what the price will be.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid around 5 years old I use to draw cars, trucks and boats like that. Maybe they have young elementary school kids in their design program?! I mean I thought that was cool when I was a kid but not so much as an adult. But they do have great technology with their electric vehicles.

Blueraptor

Reaction score
I did the pre-order. I figured it will only get better than what they have now. They will take feedback and refine it before production starts. If if doesn't get better or I change my mind it's refundable. I think it has the potential to look really good with the right mods.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I did the pre-order. I figured it will only get better than what they have now. They will take feedback and refine it before production starts. If if doesn't get better or I change my mind it's refundable. I think it has the potential to look really good with the right mods.

I expect some changes to meet crash standards. Despite the disappointing design it is still really cool and priced well under what I expected

RAMpage

Reaction score
I also put a deposit down for the dual motor. I doubt the clunking, rattles and RAMBOX panel fitment of my '19 will be resolved by the day the Cybertruck is available in 2021 so will be ready to switch!

Users who are viewing this thread