5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible MPG - 2022 RAM 1500 4WD Crew Cab Short Box 5.7

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I think once you adjust for the bigger tires you will see that you can get closer to 14+ (once the truck is broken in). I have a very similar setup and get about 14.5 in town. Get AlfaOBD or Tazer (or find someone near you that has one) and correct for the tire size.

I also installed a PedalMax to have better throttle response and control. Can't say how much this helps (since I installed same time as tires), but there have been a number of reports of small gains in fuel efficiency.

jkm312

Reaction score
You still have a new engine with not that many miles on it. My new gas mileage wasn't as severe as you are describing, but I'm set up differently. Mine finally got better after 7 or 8 thousand miles on the clock. I stayed with stock tire size when I changed last fall to Cooper's AT34S. The Cooper's are heavier than the Dueler's. I lost 1/2 mile per gallon and then another mile with winter fuel, winter cold, more rolling restistance you get with cold tires. As already stated once you break 70 mph+ your gas gauge needle races your speedometer needle across the dash. How long do you warm the truck up? That can bite hard if it's frequent. A couple of under inflated tires, even a little adds up. How much stop and go driving? How heavy of a foot do you have? All questions for you to consider.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Stock were dueler hl alenza, 275/55/20 31.9 in diameter: 38 lbs
New tire: Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20 35 in diameter: 66.1

Gears: 3.21

I had a similar 2014 Chevy Silverado, same config, that got closer to 17-19 MPG, which is more so why this is alarming. I find it hard to believe an extra 130LBs from tires is going to knock my MPG down to nearly half of what the vehicle is rated for. Does this sound odd?

Also, are there config adjustments I need to make due to the bigger tires, added 3 in diameter? The dealer said they have nothing to make this change.
The anemic 3:21 gears sputtering and coughing to try and turn those 35s over is half the battle.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

I had a similar 2014 Chevy Silverado, same config, that got closer to 17-19 MPG, which is more so why this is alarming. I find it hard to believe an extra 130LBs from tires is going to knock my MPG down to nearly half of what the vehicle is rated for. Does this sound odd?

Also, are there config adjustments I need to make due to the bigger tires, added 3 in diameter? The dealer said they have nothing to make this change.
what engine do you have?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Doesn't look like anyone said it yet but this is huge.

Soon as you get up to and over 70 your MPG's drop harder than Biden's approval ratings (sorry, I couldn't help myself!!)

If you stay between 62 and 68 you'll do much better. That's just how it is for these trucks.
@AngelPhoenix is right about speed. I have a lift, 3:92s, 35 tires and typically drive 50 miles of highway to work. Keeping between 70 and 85 just kills it. Driving on the weekend away from the city on normal roads between 40 and 50 I bumped up like 4 mpg for the day.

I quickly reversed that on Monday so the electric guys could have more carbon footprint to make up for.

Angel, great analogy with the Brandon approval reference!

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

It’s the high gears and large tires.

Also did you have your Speedo re calibrated for the large tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebel2022

Reaction score
The #1 city mpg killer is short trips and cold weather. If you live in an area that gets below freezing and make frequent short city trips 8-10miles this kills your mpg. Add in a few minutes of warming up time = easy sub 10mpg.

Redfour5

Reaction score
where do you live? winter gas mix sucksssss here in the midwest.
It sucks everywhere... I distinctly have noted the change and not a good one here in MT when they change over in winter and the opposite in summer.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As already mentioned, you have the perfect storm of variables to give you the lowest possible mpg for your vehicle. Bigger tires, level, city driving, BOOM!!!

I've documented in the past, with just a 1/2" difference in tire height (same exact tire except slightly taller), that I lost over 1 mpg!

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
As already mentioned, you have the perfect storm of variables to give you the lowest possible mpg for your vehicle. Bigger tires, level, 3.92, city driving, BOOM!!!

I've documented in the past, with just a 1/2" difference in tire height (same exact tire except slightly taller), that I lost over 1 mpg!
The OP has 3.21 gears, but gearing isn't a player driving around town anyway. The lift isn't hurting his city driving mpg's either. Those heavy 35's and winter gas are the culprits.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The OP has 3.21 gears, but gearing isn't a player driving around town anyway. The lift isn't hurting his city driving mpg's either. Those heavy 35's and winter gas are the culprits.

Oh gotcha on the 3.21, but I was thinking combined driving overall, though of course his worse will be city. But his highway isn't great either.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Oh gotcha on the 3.21, but I was thinking combined driving overall, though of course his worse will be city. But his highway isn't great either.
I figure his highway numbers will increase to about 17-18 mpg once he gets his speedometer recalibrated and summer blend fuels come back. He will probably gain another 1 mpg once his motor breaks in.

I never paid attention to the difference between winter and summer blends in the past. It's probably due to the fact that I'm in 4WD most of the time on snowy roads. The last couple of weeks it's been cold, but with dry roads, and I was shocked that I lost over 2 mpg compared to summer driving. I realize the cold air plays a part, but I didn't know winter gas was that bad.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@AngelPhoenix is right about speed. I have a lift, 3:92s, 35 tires and typically drive 50 miles of highway to work. Keeping between 70 and 85 just kills it. Driving on the weekend away from the city on normal roads between 40 and 50 I bumped up like 4 mpg for the day.

I quickly reversed that on Monday so the electric guys could have more carbon footprint to make up for.

Angel, great analogy with the Brandon approval reference!
My comment got deleted lol must have struck a nerve 😁

edit: you had the right idea, should have said "Brandon" 🤣

MontFla

Reaction score
I have 3:92 stock 275/55/20 and get 17 to 18 semi city.. ie… us1 Florida on I95 at 75 I get 21 to 23. First oil change was at 1600 ish miles second one was at 6000. And I did an old school break in.

Cleatus

Reaction score
i am switching from gladiator to RAM-- so a different vehicle but here is what i saw:
1. putting the bigger tires on lowerd my mpg
2. added a lift. lowered my mpg
3. my "city" driving KILLED mpg
4. if i run over 60-65, the mileage drops uuugley (on the jeep it would shift to 7th and stay there--killing mpg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Who knew physics class would have paid off in the real world!

More rotating mass = less mpg
lLifted with more drag coefficient = less mpg
Higher speed increasing drag = less mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90goldtsiawd

Reaction score
I'm at the same 9.9mpg with only city driving currently after adding 34s to my truck(CC/short bed/3.92s). Sounds about right.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I moved to 305/45/22's and I am around 10 in city driving. I haven't adjusted anything for tire size yet. Debating if I am going to since it isn't a huge difference anyway

Users who are viewing this thread