5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible MPG - 2022 RAM 1500 4WD Crew Cab Short Box 5.7

Louhound88

Reaction score
Being from Louisiana my whole life it never occurred to me there was a "winter" gas. lol. With that said I'm sure my mpg would be about the same, but down here i'm still doing fine with 3.21 gears, 2.5" level, and 295/65r20 tires. Highway commute I'm currently at 17mpg. City will get down to 15 depending on how hard/crazy i drive. If i'm on the highway travelling 70mph i'll see anywhere from 17 to 19mpg depending on wind, etc. Overall not too bad and didn't experience much power loss.

myles

Reaction score
Brand new, I've been driving this for 2200 miles. AVG is about 10.5 MPG. Latest full tank is running at 9.9 MPG. It's all city driving, and I've been paying attention to the gas consumption lately. I'll probably get 240 miles tops out of this tank, and AMPG is 10. This seems really bad. Anyone else having issue, or what to do about it?

Notes:
1. I have 2 in RC leveling kit on the front.
2. Added Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20, which are about 3 inch wider than stock.

These 2 addons shouldn't change MPG that significantly.
sounds about right for city driving with a lifted truck with a hemi. Even on my ecodiesel ill drop down to 18mpg if im just driving around town.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
City driving is city driving. I get 10-11mpg driving around NYC metro area and I'm completely stock.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
Believe it or not, a good tonneau cover will help improve your fuel economy as it improves the aerodynamics of the truck (5 to 10% at highway speeds)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am averaging just under 26 MPG in my 2021 EcoDiesel on my 30 mile commute. (1/2 Hwy/ 1/2 30-40 MPH towns)

I have seen as much as 28.5 MPG when I rolled into Mt. Vernon Ill a couple of weeks ago. I put 2600 miles on
the truck then with 95% of the time my Hands were not on the wheel. I am using a Comma3 from Comma.ai to
drive the truck similar to a Tesla.

Malodave

Rich0325

Reaction score
Brand new, I've been driving this for 2200 miles. AVG is about 10.5 MPG. Latest full tank is running at 9.9 MPG. It's all city driving, and I've been paying attention to the gas consumption lately. I'll probably get 240 miles tops out of this tank, and AMPG is 10. This seems really bad. Anyone else having issue, or what to do about it?

Notes:
1. I have 2 in RC leveling kit on the front.
2. Added Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20, which are about 3 inch wider than stock.

These 2 addons shouldn't change MPG that significantly.
I have a 2022 two wheel drive bighorn night edition. I have 2700 miles now. I purchased in august. I get 6 to 7 mph city and 11 Hwy. averaging 9.5. I have a very light foot and everything is completely stock. I love this truck so much but can’t afford to drive it. I haven’t had mpg like this since my 84 Chevy. I plan on taking it in to see if something is wrong but have feeling it’s just the way it is. Gonna have to get rid of it.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I have a 2022 two wheel drive bighorn night edition. I have 2700 miles now. I purchased in august. I get 6 to 7 mph city and 11 Hwy. averaging 9.5. I have a very light foot and everything is completely stock. I love this truck so much but can’t afford to drive it. I haven’t had mpg like this since my 84 Chevy. I plan on taking it in to see if something is wrong but have feeling it’s just the way it is. Gonna have to get rid of it.
Something seems very wrong with this. I have a '21 Laramie 4x4 5.7 Hemi with 3.92 gears and 35" tires. I get ~16mpg, mostly city, and I have a pretty heavy foot, especially from a stop. When I am towing my TT, I average 6-7mpg. If that is your unloaded mpg, something is wrong.

JohnGow383

Reaction score
That doesn't seem right. I have a fully loaded limited with Ram boxes, sunroof etc, I have a 5inch lift and fuel assault wheels with 35x12.5" tires, Borla exhaust etc. It's the fuel inefficient gears too (3.92) I have 600miles on it. 1st drive back from dealership which was 300miles + I managed to get 20.7mpg (albeit driving super economical during the break in period). The rest is kinda city driving and avergaing around 15/16.
I just realized my MPG is imperial gallons as I'm in the UK, so it's actually less. Doing the conversion the best I got was 17.5 and it's averaging around 12-13 US mpg.
Not great given the price of gas here, but it is what it is.
I have driven 2 rental RAM 1500 big horns most likely with 3.21 gears on 5000 mile + road trips in the States and I was getting 19-22.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the bigger tires are going to hurt in city driving, the truck has to exert more energy to get moving from every stop light.

Wire4money

Reaction score
Wow. Something seems way off. Mostly city Hemi/3.92 I get over 16. I’m getting better mileage than you while towing a travel trailer.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
how are you coming up with these numbers?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something isn't right here, or we're missing an important piece of information. What are your truck specs - engine, body config? Also, how much time do you spend idling? I would be interested to see a pic of your idle and run time display. How does the truck run? Any lack of power?

RC Turner

Reaction score
By their very nature those tires are going to take extra gas. Highway tread would probably improve mileage by a couple of MPG.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
By their very nature those tires are going to take extra gas. Highway tread would probably improve mileage by a couple of MPG.

Highway tread alone is not going to improve mileage buy much, if both tires are rated the same. The reason you lose a couple of mpg's going to an AT type tread is most of them are LT rated and a lot heavier.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you get the mpg numbers? Something is definitely not right, my old 1996 Dodge Ram 4X4 Club Cab long box, V8 5.9 Magnum, 3.92 axle ratio and 4 speed transmission got better gas mileage than you posted, even in the winter.
If you got the mpg numbers from the dash, did you reset the mpg after filling up?
You should reset your trip meter when you fill up and do the mpg with a calculator at the next fill up. Miles decided by gallons and you’ll get an accurate mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread