5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible MPG - 2022 RAM 1500 4WD Crew Cab Short Box 5.7

alorentz

Reaction score
Brand new, I've been driving this for 2200 miles. AVG is about 10.5 MPG. Latest full tank is running at 9.9 MPG. It's all city driving, and I've been paying attention to the gas consumption lately. I'll probably get 240 miles tops out of this tank, and AMPG is 10. This seems really bad. Anyone else having issue, or what to do about it?

Notes:
1. I have 2 in RC leveling kit on the front.
2. Added Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20, which are about 3 inch wider than stock.

These 2 addons shouldn't change MPG that significantly.

Last edited:

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires are heavier than stock. On winter gas adds to it. What gears do you have (sounds like 3.92 which gets less)? The higher level or options you have on your truck adds to the weight of the vehicle which would make it less. How heavy is your foot?

should it be that no? I don't think so but many things can factor into this.

Otto

Reaction score
It's a truck, its lifted it and has added weight with the tires compared to the stock tires and is driven exclusively in the city so I don't think you can ask for much beyond the 10-11 space.

I drive mine in town with small spurts of highway (10-12miles). Stock tire size no lift and avg somewhere around 12-13 with that mix.

It's better to remember is a truck you, didn't get it for it's gas mileage capabilities so go do truck stuff and close your eyes at the gas pump.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

alorentz

Reaction score
Stock were dueler hl alenza, 275/55/20 31.9 in diameter: 38 lbs
New tire: Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20 35 in diameter: 66.1

Gears: 3.21

I had a similar 2014 Chevy Silverado, same config, that got closer to 17-19 MPG, which is more so why this is alarming. I find it hard to believe an extra 130LBs from tires is going to knock my MPG down to nearly half of what the vehicle is rated for. Does this sound odd?

Also, are there config adjustments I need to make due to the bigger tires, added 3 in diameter? The dealer said they have nothing to make this change.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2” level hurts aerodynamics & mpg
74% heavier tires hurts mpg

sounds like you haven’t adjusted your speedometer, so it’s about 6.77% off. Meaning your 10.5 mpg avg is actually 11.21 mpg as you are going faster than indicated.

That also means your 13-14 mpg highway is actually 14-15 mpg.

These numbers all sound normal for your mods w/ uncorrected speedo

alorentz

Reaction score
2” level hurts aerodynamics, this mpg
74% heavier tires hurts mpg

sounds like you haven’t adjusted your speedometer, so it’s about 6.77% off. Meaning your 10.5 mpg avg is actually 11.21 mpg as you are going faster than indicated.

That also means your 13-14 mpg highway is actually 14-15 mpg.

These numbers all sound normal for your mods.
Sounds like it based on what you guys are saying. Just less that I would have expected.

I figured my speedo and MPG were off due to tires. Dealer said they don't adjust settings. Only way to do this is an aftermarket program? I saw something like that in a Google search the other day.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Multiple a/m programmers that can adjust your speedo, you should definitely look into one. Also, these Rams seem to get better mpg as they are broken in (I know mine did). That said, this Hemi will never get great mpg. Best I ever got was 22, that was before I started adding mods. I can average 14 or so in city driving if I behave myself, but I enjoy it too much to drive that way!

Redfour5

Reaction score
Tires are heavier than stock. On winter gas adds to it. What gears do you have (sounds like 3.92 which gets less)? The higher level or options you have on your truck adds to the weight of the vehicle which would make it less. How heavy is your foot?

should it be that no? I don't think so but many things can factor into this.
What you said AND, city driving always sucks. Getting 3 tons of steel up to speed and then doing it all over again every minute or three isn't going to facilitate mileage. I get my best mileage on a couple hundred mile trip at speed in on the highway and have hit between 22 and 23 with a 5.7 and 3.21 gears. My old 2015 with the 3.92 gears didn't know what 20 looked like as it never registered it in its life... And the OP's truck is still NEW... I noticed an improvement on my 2015 after about 10K. I'm not surprised honestly... AND, even now at home with winter gas daily driving is 13 mpg. It's a truck...

alorentz

Reaction score
Well...SH!T! I was hoping this was a fixable problem. Appears not, and I just need to suck it up! Cest la vie ...

Thanks for the feedback!

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like it based on what you guys are saying. Just less that I would have expected.

I figured my speedo and MPG were off due to tires. Dealer said they don't adjust settings. Only way to do this is an aftermarket program? I saw something like that in a Google search the other day.

Tazer DT you can change your tire size. I believe the AlphaOBD can aswell? Maybe someone can chime in on that who has one

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's simple...you have bigger tires that are much heavier than stock. Plus, you probably have not recalibrated your speedometer. Reprogram your BCM to recognize your new tire size and you should gain back about 2 mpg. The LT 35" tires cost you about 3-4 mpg and there nothing you can do about that. Don't sweat the leveling kit, that has nothing to do with your poor mileage.

jent

Reaction score
3.21 gears wont help in the city, and with bigger tires the gear ratio is probably doing more harm than good to your MPG (particularly in the city).

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Stock were dueler hl alenza, 275/55/20 31.9 in diameter: 38 lbs
New tire: Wildpeak AT3 275/65/20 35 in diameter: 66.1

Gears: 3.21

I had a similar 2014 Chevy Silverado, same config, that got closer to 17-19 MPG, which is more so why this is alarming. I find it hard to believe an extra 130LBs from tires is going to knock my MPG down to nearly half of what the vehicle is rated for. Does this sound odd?

Also, are there config adjustments I need to make due to the bigger tires, added 3 in diameter? The dealer said they have nothing to make this change.
It's not just the extra weight of the tires, but there is the effect (much more of an impact in city driving than highway) of more rolling mass to start and stop.

Users who are viewing this thread