5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talk me out of getting a Cummins

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the title states... I've had my 2019 Rebel for almost a year and I love it, and i had a 4th gen 1500 for about 50K miles and really enjoyed that too, but I've always wanted a cummins, specifically one with the G56 manual. So i found a really mint 2018 low mileage one, its a tradesman crew cab short box 4x4. I really dont care about the bells & whistles and i can always upgrade things in time. Looking to hear opinions from anyone who can compare the HD diesel to the 1500 hemi more so from a daily drivers perspective. I honestly don't use my truck other than for hunting, hauling my kayaks/small row boat for the lake, and i use it for 4x4 getting to remote places. I never pushed the limits of my 1500, so i definitely dont NEED a diesel. I like the increase mpgs, and i'd try to delete it but i know thats getting tougher to do. Im not expecting the fuel savings of a diesel to ever outweigh the maintenance costs/etc. I look at diesels more for their performance capabilities/fun factor, the same way some people buy sports cars. I guess im different than most and see more of an appeal to performance trucks lol
My trade value for my rebel is currently a $1-2 grand than what i paid for it according to KBB, and this cummins is basically the same price, maybe even lower depending on negotiating

hoodac78

Reaction score
I'm absolutely not going to try and talk you out of it. In my opinion, its your money and you should do what makes you happy. If a diesel is what you want and the numbers work for you, then you should absolutely go do it! As they say, "You can't take it with you when you go"....enjoy!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The G56...you must buy it.

Now. The Cummins is going to be very heavy in the front for going through snow or mud.

If you can not work the engine atleast once a week...you will have engine issues realated to emissions. Get a code reader unless you like having the check engine light on.

The 2500 vs the 1500 is really gonna be personal preference. I daily drive a Crew 8 foot bed...so the size is manageable. I also hit somewhere offroad every weekend.

The Hemi in a 1500 vs the Cummins in a 2500.

That G56...it isn't for stop light drags...you will go in and out of the turbo and you will not beat the Hemi to the next light.

The 2500 base weight will be 5 to 700 hundred pounds more than the HEMI GVWR...so it will feel like you are driving a fully filled 1500...

The G56...you must buy.

The 2500 in shortbed ia the same size as a 1500...it just has a higher hood and sits a bit higher.

The G56...you do realize it is a detuned Cummins you get.

The G56...buy it.

Diesel smells funny and has fewer pumps. You will have to change 2 fuel filters now.

The G56...must buy it

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Now. The Cummins is going to be very heavy in the front for going through snow or mud.

If you can not work the engine atleast once a week...you will have engine issues realated to emissions. Get a code reader unless you like having the check engine light on.

The 2500 vs the 1500 is really gonna be personal preference. I daily drive a Crew 8 foot bed...so the size is manageable. I also hit somewhere offroad every weekend.

The Hemi in a 1500 vs the Cummins in a 2500.

That G56...it isn't for stop light drags...you will go in and out of the turbo and you will not beat the Hemi to the next light.

The 2500 base weight will be 5 to 700 hundred pounds more than the HEMI GVWR...so it will feel like you are driving a fully filled 1500...

The G56...you must buy.

The 2500 in shortbed ia the same size as a 1500...it just has a higher hood and sits a bit higher.

The G56...you do realize it is a detuned Cummins you get.

The G56...buy it.

Diesel smells funny and has fewer pumps. You will have to change 2 fuel filters now.

The G56...must buy it

Wow thanks, lots of good info. Definitely no concern as to the truck being de tuned, I’d figure I’d do a delete tune with the lowest HP increase and do a southbend clutch upgrade. That’ll be more than enough for my needs. I know nothing about actual ownership of these trucks other than that they’re typically more expensive to maintain, and that they’ve put a huge smile on my face every time I’ve driven one lol.

My biggest concern would be that i don’t really “work” the truck hard, but hopefully not having emissions equipment would make that ok.

It’d certainly be my “forever truck” and I think I’m going keep an eye out for the right one. The one that I found listed had the ad incorrect.... it’s an automatic :/ there will be many more tho I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Go with what makes you happy and enjoy it.

Not engine related, but the best 4th gen headlights available (OEM or aftermarket), regardless of HID/LED/bulbs, will not compare to the 2019 Rebel LED headlights out of the box.
The only way to fix that would be to do a complete custom setup on the 2018 with custom built headlights, like here...

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go with what makes you happy and enjoy it.

Not engine related, but the best 4th gen headlights available (OEM or aftermarket), regardless of HID/LED/bulbs, will not compare to the 2019 Rebel LED headlights out of the box.
The only way to fix that would be to do a complete custom setup on the 2018 with custom built headlights, like here...

Thanks for this link, yeah the headlight output was always something I’ve read and noticed was lacking in the 4ths gens as well. I think going the aftermarket route is worth it tho. I love the light output from my rebel and it’s definitely something I’d need to fix on a 4th gen if/when I get one again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You just have to find a hill or a highway. Let it stretch it's legs. Load up all your buddies or family...maybe offer to tow someones camper.

It just needs to get spun up a time or 2.

I have not drove a G56 Cummins. It was actually what I planned to buy next...but the 6.4l is more my style.

But, if it is anything like my 99 V10...which I imagine it is more...you can literally drive everywhere using only 4th gear...one alot of bets this way. Lol

You will be very happy to get the last manual shift truck of the breed. You can not go wrong for sure...since it seems like a great deal.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You just have to find a hill or a highway. Let it stretch it's legs. Load up all your buddies or family...maybe offer to tow someones camper.

It just needs to get spun up a time or 2.

I have not drove a G56 Cummins. It was actually what I planned to buy next...but the 6.4l is more my style.

But, if it is anything like my 99 V10...which I imagine it is more...you can literally drive everywhere using only 4th gear...one alot of bets this way. Lol

You will be very happy to get the last manual shift truck of the breed. You can not go wrong for sure...since it seems like a great deal.
definitely have no problem stretching it out every now and then lol. i've had the pleasure of test driving a couple g56's when they were still new, as well as a buddies deleted 4th gen g56. Starting in second everytime without even using throttle, driving it everywhere in 4th would be fun to try. I've seen videos of guys getting all the way to 6th gear without ever touching the throttle

Kooch80

Reaction score
there is a big difference in the ride between the half tons and the HD trucks. but it sounds like you have already driven them and you know that. if you are good with that difference then in my opinion there is nothing wrong with having more truck than you need if that is what you want. i used to have an 05 2500 with a cummins and loved that truck, except for the 4 speed auto. no issues but i like the 8 speed in the half ton a lot more. if you do the DEF delete and are able to run it hard every now and then i do not think you will have any issues. i cannot justify the price difference for a diesel truck now a days, another 10-20K for a similarly equipped truck. hell for a laramie or higher level trim diesel i could get the new TRX, lol

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is a big difference in the ride between the half tons and the HD trucks. but it sounds like you have already driven them and you know that. if you are good with that difference then in my opinion there is nothing wrong with having more truck than you need if that is what you want. i used to have an 05 2500 with a cummins and loved that truck, except for the 4 speed auto. no issues but i like the 8 speed in the half ton a lot more. if you do the DEF delete and are able to run it hard every now and then i do not think you will have any issues. i cannot justify the price difference for a diesel truck now a days, another 10-20K for a similarly equipped truck. hell for a laramie or higher level trim diesel i could get the new TRX, lol
yeah diesels are definitely really expensive... comparable priced tradesman with the cummins are about the same price as what i paid for my rebel new. For me, it's all about the powertrain though. And yeah, expecting a difference in ride for sure. Thinking of expanding my search to 3500's as well, but that ride will be significantly worse since the rear wont have the coils like the 2500 does. but cummins + G56 > ride quality lol

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
X2 to all above, especially the “if you want it then get it”. After all, you don’t get a redo in life.

I too would “like” to have a diesel (maybe for a year ha ha) just to feel the power/torque up hills, or I could just go back to Ferd and get an ecoboost.

There’s one guy I know who has an F250 diesel and just loves the turbo “whine” noise, cause’ it sounds like a “big rig”, LOL.

So given your parameters it definitely isn’t a need, just a want. As far as mpg’s goes, the baby 3.0 diesel would be a much better choice for that.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If I didn't have a stupid-short commute (< 1 mile ea. way), I'd be driving a diesel as well. I've had Power Stroke, Cummins, and other diesels, and would get one in a heartbeat if I drove more than I do now.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 2500 and up are all still based on the 4th gen body and are a bit smaller and lag behind in some features like the lighting and such that was discussed. They also ride much harsher. A lot of the loaded up 1500s like a longhorn are better than luxury cars for ride quality. The best loaded 2500 won't come close, it'll still ride like crap and be stiff.

By all means though if you NEED the HD to tow or payload, then get the 2500, or even step up to a SRW 3500. The HO Cummins with the AISIN transmissions are fantastic and far far far better the the crapbox 68rfe that comes on the regular cummins models.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 2500 and up are all still based on the 4th gen body and are a bit smaller and lag behind in some features like the lighting and such that was discussed. They also ride much harsher. A lot of the loaded up 1500s like a longhorn are better than luxury cars for ride quality. The best loaded 2500 won't come close, it'll still ride like crap and be stiff.

By all means though if you NEED the HD to tow or payload, then get the 2500, or even step up to a SRW 3500. The HO Cummins with the AISIN transmissions are fantastic and far far far better the the crapbox 68rfe that comes on the regular cummins models.
^^^ This ^^^
Still perplexed that they sorta updated their HD line to basically a 4.5 Gen. If I were in the market, I would consider the Super Duty once they come out with the 2021 interior updates. Exterior wise, the new SDs are really sweet looking vehicles in my opinion.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^
Still perplexed that they sorta updated their HD line to basically a 4.5 Gen. If I were in the market, I would consider the Super Duty once they come out with the 2021 interior updates. Exterior wise, the new SDs are really sweet looking vehicles in my opinion.
yeah i agree with you guys, i am excited to see what RAM does with their true next gen update for the HD's. Ford does offer a nice truck, much nicer than that fugly new silverado HD!

Jeff12

Reaction score
I recently traded in my ‘03 Cummins 2500 with the 6 spd manual for a 1500. I loved the truck, but maintenance costs were going to start to get expensive. Rear main, clutch, injectors were all just around the corner. There is nothing cheap when it comes to diesel maintenance and repair. While I loved the manual when I got off the pavement (and sometimes just for the fun of shifting gears), I must admit that after 16 years of shifting, the novelty had worn off. Although you can lug those trucks and not need to shift as many times as you would a gas engine, don’t kid yourself that you won’t be shifting gears a lot. Automatic trannies are so good nowadays, there’s a reason manuals are few and far between. My thoughts, for what they’re worth. Enjoy whatever decision you make. You can’t go wrong either way.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I didn't have a stupid-short commute (< 1 mile ea. way), I'd be driving a diesel as well. I've had Power Stroke, Cummins, and other diesels, and would get one in a heartbeat if I drove more than I do now.
Trade you commutes. I drive 50 miles daily one-way, but I use the old Ford for that beating... The ecodiesel would be a good choice for me.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m also of the mind, if you want it and you can afford it, then get it. I didn’t need my Ecodiesel but I’ve wanted one for a long time, the deal was right, and it fits my needs perfectly. I’ve actually always wanted a Cummins too, but I have an RV fish house that I use a lot and I didn’t want that heavy truck for driving on the lakes. I would have to wait for thicker ice. Get it and enjoy it. They hold their value so well that if you decide you don’t like it you should not have any trouble getting out of it.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is provided this new version of the ecodiesel is hopefully better than the last few versions and doesn't have the ECU bricking or emissions issues, oil starvation issues, cam slippage or any of the other various plagues the ecodiesels or other FCA diesels have had. It really seems like random chance to get a good one or a bad one, not so much how well or not they were taken care of. If anything the ones that seem to have been beat on and run hard seem to do the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online